Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying lack of empathy in posters on Boards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

And again you're missing the point.

It seems pointless trying to discuss things with people who don't read posts properly. My issue is not with people looking forward to snow at Christmas, it's with people hoping for a weather event as bad as we've had since the beast from the east, or worse. All the while ignoring the difficulties that such an event would cause, and arguably difficulties for people who spent the last 2 Christmases away from family & friends or uncomfortably tip-toeing around each other.

A bit of normal seasonal weather is fine. But if you look at the thread there are some people who are hoping this will match or surpass our coldest ever weather event.

I find that weird when the consequences of such weather would be catastrophic for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

You have said how you feel, and most people are struggling to see it from your point. I am heading over to the weather forum to see if the beast from the east mark II is really on the way. 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Anyway, the weather forum is a ray of sunshine on boards (an metaphor that most of them over there would probably hate)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I find it weird that you genuinely seem to think people hoping for something has any bearing on whether it actually happens or not.

Master of the Universe

Whatever you do, do NOT contribute any hope to the weather forum's hope collective.

Any additional hope added to the already huge pool of snow hope might result in a weather system that destroys us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

'Ah you were banned. It makes sense now.'

Ah, he was frozen out.

I'll get my rain coat.

• Advertisement

And again, that's not what I said. Where did I once say that hoping for something that is going to occur naturally will have any bearing on that event happening?

My point is, as I've said before, is that people lack empathy in wishing for a weather event so extreme that people will suffer & people will die should that event come to pass. I know full well wishing for it makes it no more or less likely to happen. What will be will be in relation to weather, short term weather at least.

My issue, as I've repeatedly said, is the giddiness from some that is associated with a potentially deadly event and the hope that it comes to pass. I would say the same of anyone enthusing about war or famine or disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Which are all or largely man-made things and preventable. The weather is not

Way more people die from the cold in this country than from heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well this is the most bizarre thread ever! A weather forum isn't the place for discussing the impact of weather on people vulnerable to extreme weather, the thread you posted in was a model discussion about what might happen not about how elderly will heat their homes in another forum. You keep saying people aren't understanding what you are saying but I think you have completely missed the context of posts on that thread and the forum in general.

Also I ran a poll on Twitter and Instagram recently and over 3k votes on both and they said 68% of people wanted a white Christmas, by your logic 68% have no empathy!

Agreed, although the Greens wouldn't agree wholly with that statement.

Whether something is man-made or natural is irrelevant to my OP. It is the fact that some, not all, are looking forward to or hoping for a weather event so extreme that people will suffer.

By all means admire and discuss the power of nature, but doing it in with a vacuum of debate on the obvious consequences of that event is odd in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Go to any weather forum like net weather for example, winter is always the most busy time. Hunting for cold and snow. If there are any weather events that make many weather enthusiasts tick including myself its big cold spells. Its the novelty of it all. If we lived in a country which had plenty of cold and snow every winter there would be no much excitement. We have had a very warm and mild last 18 months or so with very little in the way of below average temperatures. There has to be some kind of balance. You should have seen what weather forums were like in the run up to Dec 2010. Now that really was excitement.

A white Christmas and temperatures of minus 15 or below are 2 entirely different things.

If people would kindly read my posts, it's relating to those that are hoping a predicted extreme weather event will happen. Not just a white Christmas, an event to rival or surpass that from 2009/10 or the Beast from the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I tell you what you are missing, I can post in the weather forum about charts and get excited if it shows -17c and I can also post in other forums about how I am concerned for the elderly and those who can't afford their heat.

One doens't mean you have no empathy it means you like a certain kind of weather, I hate 30c+ and I can tell you a hell of a lot of people were wishing for that last summer and it wasn't in a forum on weather!

Master of the Universe

The way you have posted in this thread indicates that you think that hope in the weather forum can potentially sway the weather.

If people in the weather forum hoping for snow doesn't have any bearing on there being snow or not, then why in god's name does any of it matter to you?

So you take umbrage to people being giddy about snow. So...? how is that a feedback issue?

Do you want the mods to start asking people to be less happy about the weather?

It's not about people being giddy about snow, it about people being giddy about weather that will bring significant challenges to many people, often old & vulnerable people. Many of whom suffer enough as it is.

I've said this numerous times in numerous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Empathy is a two way street

It’s a waste of my time to speak with you, so I’m not going to do much of it after this.

but, I will say, it’s easy to forget that yes, extreme weather can kill people. some people will be without power, heat, or both.

the homeless will be freezing and sleeping more rough than ever. The emergency services will be up to their eyes and delayed to no end with back to back calls and difficulty travelling.

BUT, no matter who you are or what you do, to claim you’re always thinking of others with every decision you make, would be disingenuous. We’re selfish by nature. But we don’t always mean harm. (We being human beings).

So if nothing else I at least hope you can take solace in knowing that whilst it may appear that those excited for extreme weather are just excited for their own personal reasons. They’ve either neglected to spare a thought for those who will suffer as a result, which is fine, or they are doing so in their own private time and not bringing it into a discussion forum.

Mainly because crying about people suffering online does about as much to help as saying nothing. For all you know the same people dying for heavy snow could be the same people first out the door to help people who are struggling as a result.

Yes mate, weather enthusiasts are excited about rarely seen weather events. This isn’t even news!

I think you’re not getting the vibe that your posts ARE being read & understood (more or less), but what you don’t seem to understand is that weather enthusiasts are not morally corrupt for being excited about a rare weather event.

I’m a tech enthusiast & a chef, right. So if I get excited about say a rare cut of steak or expensive seafood am I morally corrupt because I’m excited for something that was brought about by the suffering of animals?

Or if I look forward to a new GPU for my PC am I morally bankrupt seeing as they are made in alleged abhorrent conditions in China, by labourers who are underpaid and in some cases underage?

or is it that my morality is in check but I enjoy things cos I’m a human with likes and interests?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,593 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I don't think this thread remaining open serves any purpose

OP, you have made your point. You will see others have differing views. Mods are not going to act against such discussion so long as it remains civil and on topic

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement