Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying lack of empathy in posters on Boards

Options
  • 01-12-2022 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

Head over to the winter weather prediction forum for a bunch of people excited and actively hoping for an extreme weather event with no consideration for the difficulties such an event would present.

What concerns me is that these people who lack basic empathy & compassion walk among us.

I know message boards tends to attract a certain type of person. People who can post things anonymously that most right-thinking people wouldn't dream of saying in person. But nonetheless I find it kinda sad that people think this way. By all means discuss the weather, but for God's sake have some consideration for those that will struggle and in extreme weather, die, rather than hoping for this weather to manifest itself with an almost psychopathic zeal.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Avoid the forum if its not for you .. simple --- its a weather forum for weather enthusiasts .. has nothing to do with empathy, gloating or other ... People like cold weather, people like hot weather, people like rain, people like wind ... there is no alternative weird agenda that seem to be alluding to.

Just avoid it if you don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

Typical boards answer. Avoid the forum. If we just avoided all things in life where we would we be? I believe it's just another sign of a society that generally cares less and less about their fellow human. As I said, I think message boards tends to attract this behaviour but I just don't get the zeal in something that will undoubtedly cause difficulties for lots of people.

How about an earthquake forum that hopes for a major earthquake, a newer deadlier pandemic forum. It's not the subject matter that's the issue, it's the enthusiasm for an extreme event with zero consideration for the consequences.

Have they started talking about graupel and stocking up on gas canisters and tinned food?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve? If you don't like "typical boards answers", you need to wonder why you frequent the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Do you complain about the shooting forum because guns can be used to kill people?

Or the motors forum because cars are responsible for so many deaths in this country?

Weather is a forum full of weather enthusiasts who cheer rare weather events because they are exciting - they shouldnt have to moralise every single event, and neither should you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Would you not be better off complaining to the local bishop's office about God sending snow in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭boardlady

I have to say, I think the weather prediction forum - and any of the weather forums - are about the most innocuous threads on the whole Boards site! They are actually a bit of lightheartedness in the midst of what is the really serious stuff in the world - Russian war, attacking dogs etc. Generally, Irish weather does not kill people and we have a benign climate compared to most. We are not in danger of flooding that was seen elsewhere this year or fires. I think you are taking hand-wringing to an extreme if you can find fault with a bunch of weather enthusiasts minding their own business on a weather-specific forum!

I don't frequent the website as the number of posts I have would attest to. I just thought a discussion forum would be one that might call people out on what I consider to be strange behaviour.

Maybe nobody else thinks people who are excited about something that will bring massive disruption & personal suffering is weird, but I do.

Read some of their posts. Some are actively wishing for and excited about exceeding or at least a repeat of the likes of the beast from the east. An event that would cause massive disruption & suffering.

And people are excited about that. That's my point. It's not the weather itself, it's the excitement with which they hope for this to happen and lack of any understanding or compassion relating to the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭boardlady

I read a lot of their posts as I too am interested in weather. The beast from the east brought more cheer to Ireland than misery I think. Disruption, yes, but suffering? I think statistically it was a change from the norm for most and kids loved it. I'm sure you could tell me a heartbreaking story of someone who was isolated, or hungry, or slipped and broke a limb, but we can find those stories in almost every aspect of life. Snow is generally accepted as being a positive bit of fun for the few days it ever lasts here. I think you are in the minority here with your view.

• Advertisement

More cheer than misery....... Right....

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/medical-matters-cold-weather-and-fuel-poverty-cause-2-800-excess-deaths-1.2099569

I work in the emergency services. Try getting to work in a country where transport falls asunder at even a light dusting of snow, let alone driving an ambulance or fire truck in those conditions. Same for nurses, doctors & any other essential services that need to attend work. Ireland can't deal with these weather events.

And as I said repeatedly, it's not the weather discussion that I think is weird, it's the lack of context and consideration in terms of the consequences. The weather nerds (have thread banned me 🤦‍♂️🤣) and are over on that forum like kids on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I kinda know what you mean - I'll bet you find that most of those who cheer when they see a storm coming in or a blast of snow live in fairly well serviced and protected urban areas. If they were out on the west coast getting battered when running from the house to the shed or cut off for days by roads clogged with snow and ice, then the novelty would wear thin quickly.

But they don't - they live in urban areas and it adds a bit of excitement to otherwise dull lives. So give them a break and just ignore. Life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's fierce mild over there on that forum

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I just feel bad for the weather fans really. Excitedly posting their live updates about nothing happening in their area.

"10.00am, Greystones, a slight breeze coming from the West. Will update again at 10.05".

Then you see how pissy they get at newcomers daring to enter their forum during a snowstorm and my sympathy disappears as quickly as the piddly little layer of snow in their garden.

• imagine, weather enthusiasts are excited by a weather event..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,661 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You do realise that actively hoping for something doesn't actually make it happen?

People on a weather forum hoping for some snow is not going to suddenly appease the great snow god in the sky, who will then do a dance and a blizzard will descend.

Imagine, a Boards user not actually reading a post properly.

It's not the weather discussion I'm finding odd. It's the zeal with which an extreme event that will ultimately cost lives is gleefully hoped for.

Master of the Universe

Lots of events ultimately cost lives. Sure look at the amount of lives lost in Qatar in preparation for the world cup.

People in the motoring forum look forward to the Isle of Man TT, which people die at on a yearly basis.

There are people in After Hours delighting in videos of Russian troops being killed by munitions dropped from drones.

Why is the weather forum, probably the most benign place on boards.ie, the one to point out?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭PeaSea

This thread is a bit of a wash-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

You need to take a step back and think about the way you think about things.

I dont believe for one second someone saying "Id love if we had loads of snow" are even anywhere near thinking. "Id love to see loads of snow and it freezing old people in their homes and burying people in their cars".

I love listening to the sounds of the rain lashing down on the roof when im in the house. Doesnt mean im asking for that rain to be soaking people walking outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have you read any of the war threads at all op

Master of the Universe

Hate to rain on your parade OP, but it's gonna happen...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,297 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeahhhhhh....

Snowwwwwww !!!

• Get over yourself a bit?

You’ve said I don’t even know how many times in this single thread “typical boards [insert thing]”, if the website is that upsetting to you why do you logon anymore.

I read your OP, it’s just a grown man crying about something that was said on the internet. It’s hardly fcuking news that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Some people like snow, some don’t…

what do you want to do ? seeing as this is the feedback forum ? Prevent people from talking about snow ?

an empathy enforcement mod team ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh the weather forum is frightful

And the posts are so delightful

The OP tells the posters No

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah you were banned. It makes sense now.

As a weather enthusiast, I'd love to see us get a few hurricanes or blizzards because from a meteorological/scientific perspective, I find it fascinating. Obviously , I don't want anyone to die. I'd love for us to get these events and for everything to pass off without a hitch. It's the science behind them that I love and that's what drives my enthusiasm. Plus we get snow so rarely, it looks pretty and the kids have a ball!

Obviously as an emergency responder you don't want these events and I respect that. I imagine they make your job very very challenging but me wishing for these events to happen isn't going to make one bit of difference to whether they actually happen or not.

If they don't happen in ireland, I'll just analyse weather charts and news reports from other countries instead and look on with envy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm lost. Do the posters in the weather forum have the power to summon the snow now?

I can't understand the moralising of some people when it comes to others looking forward to snow. More people will die in a heatwave but you don't see the same moralising about people looking forward to a bit of sunshine. If you can't control the arrival of something then the best thing to do is make the most of it and enjoy it.

• Advertisement

• Jesus you’re crying about people looking forward to snow at Christmas time?

SmithFan? Are you sure it’s not GrinchMan…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement