Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight loss, compliments on hair!

Options
  • 23-11-2022 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Strange one, not sure if this is the right place but I was wondering if anyone else has experience this.

I've recently lost a chunk of weight. I'm just starting on my journey so it's not massive but enough that my clothes are fitting better etc.

Family and friends have noticed but what is strange is that several acquaintances that I would only see from time to time have been really complimenting me on my hair. It's happened with 5 different people. Asking me what I've done with it, did I get it done that morning etc.

My hair is the exact same, literally no difference. I haven't cut it and I don't colour it. Style in the same way. I just found it funny. My theory is that it might be that my face looks thinner or something and they're putting it down to my hair 🤣

Maybe just a coincidence!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I have nothing useful to say - just congratulations! And what a wonderful thing to be happening! 😂😁 Keep doing whatever you are doing because it is reaping great reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Taking small steps to manage your body weight helps regulate your hormones. In addition to improved hair growth, weight management brings your hormones into balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭OrangeLavender

I should have explained that it's not enough time for my hair to actually grow any differently either! Only a few cm at most because it hasn't been a very long time since I've made these changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If you are eating healthier then your skin hair and nails will look better. That's why bad diets are bad, because they are not giving your body the nutrients they need which affects your whole body inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Good job OP!

Well done on the weight loss - it must be beginning to look well on you. Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

Over the long run I'm sure but for me right now a few millimeters of hair growth is not enough for someone to notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Well done you. It might be the overall more healthy hormones as a previous poster said, like the way pregnant women's have the fab hair "glow" and that is not due to much hair growth either.

Thanks! But hair strands are dead so current diet/nutrients can't make any difference to existing hair, only new growth and there hasn't been enough time for that to happen. That was my point. I hope I'm explaining this properly.

"The hair shaft is made of a hard protein called keratin and is made in three layers. This protein is actually dead, so the hair that you see is not a living structure. The inner layer is the medulla."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What are you actually looking for here? You've been given possible reasons why your hair maybe looking better and you are dismissing each one.

They paid you a compliment, accept it and move on with your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I don't agree with it. Whenever I take magnesium supplement my hair looks fuller at once and my nails are harder also on the same day.

• Advertisement

I was just explaining scientific facts.

I wasn't looking for complements. I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience just out of interest and only replied to explain that my understanding was that some commenters were interpreting how hair grows incorrectly. Don't know why that would get you so worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You probably look better anyway and you also look happier.

It is not considered polite to comment on a person’s weight, whether a gain or loss.

People are complementing you on your improved appearance and choosing hair as the least controversial.

You need to remember that the first few weeks are the easiest in weight loss and be prepared for the long road of changing your whole lifestyle. Allow yourself a non food reward when you achieve a certain stage.

Well done so far and I hope you reach and maintain your ideal weight..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Popoff

When I had a LOT of weight to lose, one of the first places it came from (and the last it went on) was my head. Within a few weeks my face was a lot slimmer and my hair looked thicker because the space between follicles was smaller (so the hairs weren't so spaced out). Not sure how much you started at or how your fat distributes, but that was my experience.

Advertisement