Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur Sat 24th June 2023 Malahide Castle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Will be one of the biggest gigs of the summer, and you never really know how many times Albarn will get them back together, so opportunities to see them could be limited in the future.

One of the last truely great and huge bands, who's evolution is brilliant, all the genres they covered, all to critical success. Their association with quintessential Britain really put people off them here, and there's still alot of apathy towards them here, whereas in Britain are beloved.

They were never my favourite band and Albarns toff nosed carry on used to annoy me, but after watching him and the band evolve over time, I'd regard them as probably the best band of the last 30 years. You'll generally find people who dismiss them didn't listen to their later stuff. A once in a generation band imo. You'll rarely find a band as clever and diverse as them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ye the grand social had a Blur or Britpop night when they last played here in Kilmainham I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody know the support acts and the likely time Blur will come on stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Slowthai and self esteem were announced on mcd website and then quickly removed. Take what you want from that.

9pm is standard for pretty much any concert in ireland. 11pm curfew

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Paul Weller one of the support acts for the 2nd Wembley show

Be nice if himself or a similar calibre was on the bill for Dublin. Not holding my breath though

Out of interest is the Dart like a jungle after concerts going back into the city ?? Travelmaster not running a service up for this surprisingly

• Advertisement

The dart is usually grand, previous times we made our way near the back for encores and we first out the gate after.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Using Marathon Coaches to and from the City Centre for Depeche Mode

Might do similar for this if it goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Will tickets come back on sale for this gig closer to the date?

Always resale the week or two before with. Show this size

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mactheknife19

usually the malahide concerts I've been at were 8.30 on stage , and 10.30/40 finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Don't rely on cars / taxis to get you to and from any Malahide gig. No taxis to be had, bus routes altered due to road closures and gridlock on the roads before the start. Dart is probably the least bad option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are they any good live. Might go myself if I can get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Saw them in McGonagles in the early 90s but have never warmed to them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭unichick

I’d love a ticket if anyone has one spare dm me. I originally bought tickets for their Sunday night gig at Wembley but it doesn’t suit to travel to London now. I didn’t realise there was an Irish gig coming. They’ve just been resold on Ticketmaster after I listed them

I saw them 10 years ago & at a festival before that. Love them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

I've stuck 2 Gold Circle tickets up on Toutless just there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

They gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Am i the only one who'll be going to The Waeve the previous night? I've little interest in Blur but Coxon's new project is decent enough.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Crap I missed your comment. Are they sold? If not I’ll take them off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Appreciate you really like them but best band in the last 30 years? Really? That's a tiny bit of a stretch now.

Without going into the many, many great bands over the last 30 years, all I have to do is say 'Radiohead' and there goes any chance of Blur being the best. They are but a fraction of the musical talent and output of Thom Yorke and Co. over the last 30 years.

Don't get me wrong though, this'll still be a great gig and they are a great band. Think the last time I saw them live must be about 20 years ago now, think it was in the Olympia? Tempted to get tickets for this, just not a fan of having to trek out to Malahide for a show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

All opinions!! Don't agree with either. Radiohead wildly overrated IMO.....Hopefully there will be some sort of Britpop night in town after this show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Blur are certainly one of the greatest bands of past 30 years. In 1994 they reached an indie-rock peak that could be debated hasnt been touched since. Radiohead never achived the man-in-the-street notoriety / teen obsession.

Blur were usurped by Radiohead in muso/art rock stakes for sure, but remain superior to Radiohead in a couple of aspects to this day.

Radiohead have nine studio records to Blur's 8. I'd say they're fairly even with (in my opinion!) 5 great records each? Both bands are fab, Radiohead prolly more arty and intellectually stimulating? Blur warmer and more emotionally engaging. In the live show I think Blur have the edge personally but again, have huge time for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

As a massive Radiohead fan, having seen them live 5 or 6 times, I've been underwhelmed more often than not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's this sort of circlejerk nonsense that makes people dislike Radiohead and my extension Radiohead fans.

Now, I bloody love Radiohead. A moon shaped pool is a masterpiece, among at least 3 more of their albums. Others are varying levels of good to very good (except tkol, just never got into). The

I'd also say, they're different, but blur, 13 and parklife are timeless albums. Modern life is rubbish is criminally underrated too.

Also, you might want to rethink your output statement. Albarn is a bloody chameleon. He's done so many different things, that he makes Johnny greenwoods output look a bit plain at times. Coxons lofi solo albums are all pretty good too.

At the end of the day it's all subjective the bad seeds have been remarkably consistent over those 30 years too, Wilco too.

Also, Radiohead in Berlin was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, but I also believe that beck, as a support act in Marlay park, 2006 completely stole the show. Neither band have let me down live though, and I've seen them each a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Only one of these bands have made the album 'In rainbows'.

Albarn is more quantity than quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stillill42

So, long story short, we all like both of them then? Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well of course you don't, Dreamweapon. Some things don't need saying.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Took a while to sell out. Wembley stadium sold out two nights almost instantaneously. I reckon a lot of tickets for Dublin were sold in the UK

• Advertisement

Anyone buying or selling the tickets?

Saw Radiohead once. Didn’t enjoy it. Love The Bends & OK Computer. They are great in the studio.

Seen Blur more than once live. They know how to engage an audience.

Advertisement