Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur Sat 24th June 2023 Malahide Castle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But it's not sold out so. It's only sold out if there are no more tickets available. ie.. the product is no longer available. I presume the resells derive from people that are returning them - making them available for sale again. This makes it no different than any type of retail trade. If someone comes in and buys the last 5 loaves of bread in the shop, but then returns them and they becomes available for sale, there was a false spike in the sales for a temporary period, which means nothing. If a customer subsequently comes in and looks for a loaf of bread, the shopkeeper is not going to say they are sold out. Plus, surely we all know by now, that Ticketmasrter claim an event is "sold out" to create a certain panic amongst potential buyers that will spur them to to make that purchase when tickets do come back on sale again, which they inevitably always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Every ticket was sold for the venue's capacity. Blur sold out the venue.

If someone says Blur won't sell out the venue, and every ticket is sold - there is no meaningful sense in which they are right.

Having all available tickets or accommodations sold completely and especially in advance

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sold-out#:~:text=adjective,a%20sold%2Dout%20crowd

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,029 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The heat last Wednesday may of made the walk feel longer but felt It's a fair enough walk into the concert venue from the Yellow Walls Road entrance but you do get a good view of the castle if that's your thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's absolute nonsense. No gig is ever sold out then as I can guarantee you that there is at least one person who can't attend and is reselling a ticket. Everyone who stands to make money off sale of tickets will receive payment for 100% of the tickets available. Blur/Ticketmaster/whoever are still getting paid for those tickets regardless of whether they are resold or not. If there were 30,000 tickets available, they are getting income on 30,000 tickets.

If I buy the last two PlayStations for sale in the only shop that sells PlayStations and relist them on ebay for ten thousand euro, do you think Sony could claim with a straight face that they are not sold out and consoles are available for sale.

If I try to buy a train ticket online and it's sold out but a mate of mate is selling is because he can't go, is the train 'not sold out'.

Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭gandalfio

If you go in the Swords gate and chill in the grounds for couple of hours, can you make your way to gig entrance/security from within the park? Or do you have to come out the Swords gate and make your way round to Hogan's gate?

• Advertisement

Out of interest is there anything stopping ya going into the castle groups and having a few cans while the concert is on as there's only ticket checks going into the concert area and not at the main gates into the grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Yes, you can get to the gig entrance from within the park that way. The (rather crude) green line was pretty much our route in to Depeche Mode (the blue being the concert perimeter and red the stage...roughly).

The only fly in the ointment would be if the Swords Rd gate was closed. It was open for Depeche Mode and I think The Cure too, but closed for LCD Soundsystem. That's the chance you take!

Post edited by Le Bruise on

Assume no more than any other park? They'd probably move you on if you were being obvious about it...apply a bit of 'crouching cider, hidden naggin' and pretend you're just browsing the fine grounds of the castle!

I believe the closing times for the grounds during the Summer is 9pm so I imagine until then it certainly wouldn't be an issue.

All parks are different with how they "close" so I've no idea if they close the gates after that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Loads doing it last year for the Killers gig I attended. I plan on doing it for the Florence gig if I don't get a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You've the right layout but the wrong field circled, it' the field above the "St of "St Sylvesters" that's the concert venue, left side of the road as you come in the road at the bottom of the screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

So what time could blur be expected on stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That's not very clever now, is it? You didn't really think that through. That analogy would only be similar if you returned the playstation to the same playstation shop that sold it to you - like in Ticketmasters case. Then they are not sold out for that shop. Same goes for the train. If your mate returns the ticket to the terminal that sold it to him, then it is not sold out for that terminal (until they resell it).

Please think things through next time,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone been at other Malahide gigs yet this year? What's the dart situation afterwards?

Your post stated that tickets being available on Toutless was evidence that a gig hadn't sold out. So the analogy is spot on.

Also you say that if my mate returns the ticket to the terminal then it is not sold out. Nobody here is 'returning tickets'. These are sold tickets that remain the property of the purchaser, Ticketmaster do not own relisted tickets. They have still made their money off those tickets.

It is absolutely comical that you think that if one ticket is up for resale (anywhere in the world) then that gig hasn't sold out. You know that means that potentially every gig to ever happen didn't sell out 😂

Your little dig at the end that I should think things through must be quite embarrassing in hindsight.

Jaysus, you're dead right....no wonder we went arseways on the walk back to Swords Rd!!!😂

I've edited the screenshot now and thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bus transport cancelled due to lack of numbers

Any advice re car parking availability in relative proximity to the venue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Irish Concert Travel

Nothing worse, been let down by Travelmaster a few times due to 'low numbers'

Marathon Coaches is a good service to/from Dublin City Centre-gig

Looking like it's going to be a busy Dublin on Saturday. Dermot Kennedy in Marlay Park, Maiden in the 3Arena and the Dublin pride parade too

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rambler11

Do u mind me asking from where? I enquired about one from Galway today and they said it was sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 reflekting

Where is the best pub for pints before this? I went to Gibney's last year before The Killers, but interested to see if people think there are better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Unlikely but is there any service where you can drop bags during the event?

I have something on nearby beforehand and I'll be left with a rucksack which I can't bring in.

One of the hotels in malahide?

drop the desk clerk a tenner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hand it into a bar as lost property and then get a friend to get it back after!

Or, hide it into the forest - it wont be found

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It did sell out, very quickly infact. Since touts were charging huge prices on other sites, the government made ticketmaster have a resell function to stop this happening, legislation only brought in recently.

Blur sold it out, refused to do more days as it's a warm up gig for them, refused to do Slane too for over a decade, and Damon refuses to bring Gorillaz there too, despite being constantly asked.

But to claim one in the biggest bands in UK history couldn't sell Slane is nonsense, plain and simple. Damon has often said, the reason he disbanded Blur is because they got too big, hid behind holligrams to get away from the media. Yet an obsession has continued to follow them, forcing them back due to huge demand.

Gorillaz played malahide in 2018 and played 3 arena last august so what utter nonsense are you talking.

blur Malahide show a warm up show it’s the middle point of a summer run. They did a few warm up shows in Wolverhampton etc before primavera etc a few weeks back. Claiming a 20,000 capacity show is a warm up is laughable.

Blur at malahide didn’t sell out quickly by any means, was announced in November and only sold out back in February or so.

the Irish government did not make ticketmaster develop a resale function.

Irish government legislation is limited to making sell a ticket over the original sale price for prescribed events in certain venues a crime. Nothing more.

blur cannot sell out Slane in 2023, if demand for them was so high to sell 80,000 tickets at Slane which didn’t malahide (20,000) not sell out malahide on the very first morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Advertisement