Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity cable to garden office

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dezo19

@meercat still trying to get a date off them for when they’ll be back out

Hi all, so I reported the issue to Safe Electric today. I have been trying to get them to come out and sort the issue. They came out to install the path and said they would be out the following week to fix the electrics but they didn’t. I emailed them at the start of the week to let them know I was contacting Safe Electric if they did not come out this week. They didn’t so I submitted an illegal electric works form.

Does anyone know how this goes now? The Safe Electric website reads a little confusingly in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

they are usually very efficient. Follow up with a phone call on Tuesday though. Safe electric are in transition atm and just be sure your complaint is processed. It would also be worthwhile emailing the cru as safe electric can only deal with registered electrical contractors

Thanks. Is the Commission for Regulation of Utilities just for suppliers rather than electricians?

• Advertisement

Rang CRU today and was told it takes time and will be processed. Person at the other end couldn’t wait to get off the phone.

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed. Cheers

Got an email today to say an inspector will be out tomorrow (14th) to look at the electrical works.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

That’s great , keep us posted

The inspector summed it up as a mess and is glad that I brought it to their attention. They are going to contact the firm and build a case then.

he said I can look for a change of contractor now to do the electrics properly. He doesn’t think it will be a big job but will be costly and may be difficult to get an electrician to do it.

• Advertisement

Was it someone from safe electric or the cru that called

I agree that it will be hard to find someone willing to sort this out for you. There’s a lot to sort out and certify.

the installation will have to be rechecked by safe electric when you change contractor too

thanks for the update and keep us informed of progress

It was an inspector from CRU. They deal with illegal works rather than safe electric.

he was saying about the inspector coming out as well as part of the change of contractor process.

It’s unfortunate you have to go through all this hassle.

it’ll be interesting to see what (if anything) can be done to a company from the north and if the cru can pursue them.

The inspector was keen on going after them and wanting something to be done.

My wife suggested we should get a solicitor involved too. Look to claim the electric expenses and also for providing a timber base instead of concrete but still charging the same price.

the remedial work may be costly and you will have to recoup it so I’d say that’s fair enough

the cru report will certainly help your case

id say the garden office company has tried to get a someone to rectify this for you but no one will touch it with a barge pole.

The Last time I was talking to the garden company they said the electrician who did the work would ring me the following morning. He didn’t so I warned them I was going to escalate it unless they got back to me but they didn’t. The electrician is part of the company.

the inspector was saying that in the uk builders can do the electrical work if it’s a domestic premises. Doesn’t need to be a certified electrician so he thinks this might be the case here because of how bad the work is.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

So what are the regulations on this? Is ok to to run the cable along a wall or must it go underground? Where should the power be connected to in the house if using the meter is a no no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Connect to board in house

Swa can run along a wall

I talked to my solicitor about reclaiming fees from them but he said it would be throwing good money after bad. Even if I won a case against them then I’d have to hire solicitors up the north to claim it so I’d be losing out with all the fees to pay.

• Advertisement

My electrician has worked through the fixes and the safe electric inspector is due out on Friday to sign off on it.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine has just gotten a garden room done out the back by a registered electrician and he ran the cable to the outside box as well. I told my friend to make sure she got a cert for that.

Don't think thats allowed

Main protective device in the cabinet

7 way main board outside cabinet if car charging from cabinet

Afaik anyway

I don’t think it’s allowed either but the electrician is registered so I told her to get a very for it. It’s on him

I'm fairly certain it isn't

It's just handy

I'd question the worth of any cert for non compliant work also

Thanks for the update. I was wondering how this was going for you.

wha certificate has your electrician provided and did he have to test your whole installation to reinstate your main cables

its definitely not permitted

just to note for anyone following this thread

a certificate should always be provided for work in a domestic installation

if it’s minor work then a certificate should be provided on request also

I haven’t got any certificate yet. The inspection is happening today so hopefully it’s cleared and then it is all certified.

Inspection went well. Just a labelling of switches in the shed fuseboard and a 3rd switch to be added to it.

• Advertisement

Board not labelled like that's not a great sign

What rec doesn't label a board anyway it passed

Advertisement