Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity cable to garden office

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

No need for the RCBO on the swa either that's only adding to the issues

These sheds is something that will probably be clamped down on soon

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

What a **** show that install is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

How dare ya - my DIY standards are higher than that! 😂

That looks like it might have been installed "hot" without isolation of the incoming ESB supply too. Otherwise there should have been a connector block on the live.

It's probably coming off the breaker(main protective device) in fairness

Total DIY effort anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

This work should be reported to safe electric/cru

absolutely disgraceful and non compliant

so many rule breaches

id be confident that it wasn’t a rec that did this.

it’s a criminal offence for a non rec to undertake such works

when the work is completed you should request a Cert 3 and a copy of the test certificate from the rec.they are required to provide this to you

Post edited by meercat on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 dezo19

@meercat interestingly enough I got in touch with safe electric to see if the company was on their register and they said they couldn’t find them in their database but to ask for their registration card.

if they’re not registered, what should I do? Get them to undo what they have done and get in a rec?

this is too serious not to report

chances are this company is doing this elsewhere also

theres a lot of work required to put the installation back the way it was(including certification of your existing house)

they have made a complete mess of it.

it could be a costly remedial job

i wouldn’t let them back near this until cru or safe electric inspect

certainly don’t pay the balance

What meercat said , do not pay balance , report this ,

@Murph85 these guys were more competitive on price but then they also seemed to be doing alot across the uk and Ireland so thought the price might’ve be an economies of scale benefit. Seems like they just cut corners instead.

I think they originally said they were going to run it under the stones that were alongside the fence.

@meercat @JL spark the balance is €1500 of a €22k job. They may not be too worried about it but they may be worried about a report going in. They’re due to come out to finish off different parts of the job. I was going to find out then if they were actually a rec or not and sort of take it from there but I don’t know now. Honestly this has stunned me a bit as I did not think it was something I needed to worry about. Put my trust into them to do what was right.

• Advertisement

@meercat I didn’t even think that the house would need recertification 😳 how much is that going to cost?

Post edited by dezo19 on

Your main tails have been cut and altered.you have no gland in your ocpd. This will have to be rectified and the house tested and certified.

this is just to put back what you originally had

then your new office will have to be wired back to your distribution board in the house.

this will have to be done correctly and a separate certificate issued for this work

The office too whatevers wrong there

That's a UK thing those Henley blocks on the supply neutral

Shambles at the cabinet I said car charging but really the main overcurrent protective device once that came in it made branching off at the cabinet easier

@meercat does the recertification of the house have to get done by the esb or can it be done by a rec?

It has to be done by a rec. they’ll issue a cert1 to esbn who’ll come out and connect the new tails into the meter. Esbn also have a charge (€180approx)for their work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

There was a similar case here of garden office and the shed end of the wiring was not compliant according to an electrician.

I suggest you get a quote asap to get everything checked and put right. Then put that quote to the company. Check the fine print of their agreement, often electrics are excluded. You should also check fire safety such as smoke alarm l, CO2 detector etc. Often these sheds don't comply with many regulations.

@zg3409 thanks. I’ll ask my alarm friend who is a rec. they didn’t put any alarms into it either. they never came up in conversation and I didn’t even think of them.

More than likely the cables in that installation are for Uk ,

non insulated cpc and not a lsf type cable , been northern based company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It’s a poor installation attempt and it doesn’t meet current wiring regulations. I don’t think you need be concerned that anyone is going to disconnect your electricity supply however and there isn’t really any evidence to suggest that there is any immediate hazard, be it shock or fire risk.

The mains issues I would see are;

1. The supply to the new construction should be fed from the consumer unit, not the metering cabinet.
    2. Even having regard to the above, the means in which the connection to the metering cabinet has been made is poor. There would appear to be undersized tails feeding the new protective device and there is a shortage of mechanical cable restraint generally. The cable entry point is far from ideal also.
    3. There is a doubt from what you say that the individuals who carried out this work were familiar with Irish wiring regulations and/or were registered electrical contractors authorised by the CRU to undertake restricted electrical works (which these are)
    4. The solution I would be seeking is to have them appoint a suitably qualified electrical contractor, registered with safe electric to remedy the situation and have the connection rerouted to the consumer unit. There is quite possibly an issue with the cable type also, as the branded materials look to have come from Northern Ireland and we use a different type of cabling as per current standards here.
    5. The Henley block connections in the metering cabinet will no longer be required when all is corrected. Given this fact and particularly if they were fitted by a contractor who was not authorised to do, it would be best that they are removed and re-terminated using DIN terminals. I don’t necessarily see the need for recertification of the whole installation? There is an issue with the lack of an isolator between the smart meter and the point of interface. The appointed REC will likely need to raise this with the local ESBN office when he is reconnecting to the point of interface. But I think they will assist in this regard without need for a wiring certificate. If there was an ESBN isolator the issue wouldn’t arise.

Second time sheds have come up recently

Dunno why they bother with dodgy wiring probably just profit and they're getting away with it

• Advertisement

@kirk. i imagine that is exactly it. Taking advantage of people. I trusted them to be doing what’s right considering I’m paying them to provide me with a service and I say most people are like that. It wasn’t until I was alerted to the potential problem that I started to look into it or else I would’ve been none the wiser.

@Lenar3556 thanks for that. I think this would be a good approach and hopefully the company will be reasonable.

RCBO on the swa is a terrible system, it's forcing you back to the cabinet to reset

The cabinet is not designed for that and the swa doesn't need it

to add to this, my rcd keeps tripping now. The utility room I cannot use at the moment. Finally isolated that as the sockets that were tripping it. I assume this is linked to the new wiring in the meter box as I’ve never had this problem before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Given the rain which we just had, that could be coincidental. What sockets did you isolate to prevent the trip?

@10-10-20 the utility room is the one that kept tripping it as I kept flipping the switches.

I gave it about half an hour and flipped the utility switch on and it worked so they’re all working at the moment. The rain did ease off as well at the same time. Maybe it was coincidence as I woke up to it being tripped this morning as well and nobody was using anything at the time.

It shouldn't be related to the cabin and wiring

Coincidence

It’s unlikely that this setup is causing your rcd to trip. I’d say it’s a separate issue. It may not be your utility as all the neutral connections for your socket circuits are on the one busbar in your distribution board. Any load on your circuits may cause it to trip.

id always advise checking the immersion is turned off first.

Maybe paranoia kicking in then! ☺️

• Advertisement

Any update op

Advertisement