Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic tax

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Can you post a pic of your Pajero. I always liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Oooh, thats nice I like that.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

So I am going through the same process in Dublin and it can vary by region or person on the day.

Officially it's any time in the year of it being 30 years old. Mine is December but eligible for 30 years any time preceding year.

You need to fill in form rf111, include insurance details, include log book, credit card details if posting, fill in the period you want the tax, beware of back tax owing, no off the road etc. You may need to include old tax disc. You do not need to fill in every section of form but don't forget signature and insurance sections.

If you want to go in person you first need to ring Dublin helpline and hold for 20 minutes...Then if you insist they give you an appointment to go in. On arriving at the building signs everywhere not open to public. I rang one intercom, said go around corner and down the road to side door and press intercom again. They check your name versus those they are expecting. Then they let you in. There are no real signs to direct you.

Make sure you have everything and ideally have the form pre-printed and filled up with blank spares. They had no forms in English when I was there! Person on counter was non Irish and struggled to use the phone to call supervisor. Be sure to have insurance disc with not broker but actual insurer and it needs to have reg of car, log book, money, old tax disc, etc. There is a high chance of issues or confusion so allow for this.

At 30 years you also only need to nct every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Paid the full years tax on my E36 today - 1994 registration, but Sep 1993 manufacture date - so sent off the forms with an email from BMW stating manufacture date and zero hassle from Dublin City council changing it over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Who did you contact in BMW to get those details? Wouldn't mind going a year earlier for mine (rather than €1600 a year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lol at going from robbery rates like e1809 or e1494 down to as good as free motor tax...

Actually contacted both BMW Ireland and the BMW classic group at the same time - they both came back to me within the hour. BMW classic had a bit more detail in their mail. Just need to send them the VIN.

You can get the build date from some of the BMW VIN decoders, but wanted an email stating it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Nice to see the Council take a pragmatic approach on this. Better to get €56 now than nothing for another 6/9 months.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is nice to see DCC giving the classic owners a break.

According to previous poster some other councils are not as accommodating and make people wait until the anniversary of registration.

What is really needed is a memo to all councils outlining the correct procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

That’s what I had with Meath Co Co. Car was manufactured in Feb but not registered til August so I had to wait a few years ago.

The amount of cars 25 - 30 still taxed is minuscule too. So it’s not like there will be tidal waves of ‘tax dodging’ going on.

Cui bono?

Yeah agreed - statute for qualification for ZV plates states 30 years since manufacture, so it’s clearly intended to be applicable from that anniversary for tax as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Keliuss

Wow, this is great news, if I'm reading it correctly. My BMW was first registered Jan 1995 but was manufactured Dec 1994. Looks like DCC will allow vintage status from next month then. Pity I paid the full fat tax until May 2024.

Have I got this right?

Keliuss

No, you have that wrong from my reading of it. If you're basing the changeover on manufacture date - then its eligible from Dec 2024 for vintage status.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Keliuss

I was basing my assumption on zg3409 comment above:

"So I am going through the same process in Dublin and it can vary by region or person on the day.

Officially it's any time in the year of it being 30 years old."

Based on date of manuf. mine is 30 years old in 2024.

Keliuss

Some councils will change a 1994 reg car over to vintage anytime in the year it turns 30 - so from Jan 2024. For the vast majority of people - their car is manufactured in the same year as its first registered so it makes no difference

Have never heard of anyone changing a car over so far in advance of the 30 year anniversary of manufacture (where manufacture and reg years are different)

From having spent way too long reading the various statues involving this - I can assure you the only official language specifies 30 years of age - it’s doesn’t specify reg or manufacture dates. . The ZV plate qualifying language does mention that cars are eligible for vintage plates once 30 years from manufacture have passed, so it’s fair to assume the same logic applies to qualifying for vintage tax

Anyway, send the forms off - worst thing they can do is send them all back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dylancorco

My car is a February 94, I have just sent off my logbook and RF111 to Shannon.

I know it’s only a month away from February but I am eager to get the car taxed as soon as possible, so hopefully I can get it taxed this week.

apparently, in my local tax office they are not aware that it’s in fact the year and think it narrows down to the registration month.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Mine is October 1994.Sent mine off too, waiting on news. Manufacturing date is 1994 on book, no month or day, just 1994. Very annoying if some county councils are going on year and others on date of first reg.

Good news, I got the tax a month early 👍

the RF111 came back to my house stalpled to my log book with a letter from my County council saying i didn’t put money in the envelope and that I hadn’t my insurance details filled in

reason I hadn’t them filled out was because I thought they were just going to change the particulars of the car and I was just going to tax it online.

So I just went into the tax office and they taxed it no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Great stuff, may I ask what county tax office you used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭pah

Am I right in saying you can tax your car at ANY motor tax office in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Regarding the RF111 form lads and lassies, is Section 4 the part we need to be filling out and if so, what boxes do you tick/fill? Thanks as I'll be running the gauntlet on this on Monday on a car that was manufactured August '94. Crossing fingers....

TIA

Section 4 [Other - Please Specify] - just write in 'change to vintage as car is 30 years old'.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Thank you @kdevitt . Always admire your little collection btw. 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dex Dexta

You are right.

The significance of where the “vehicle [is] ordinarily kept” on the renewal form was explained to me in the local around 2008/9? The economic bubble had burst and our overlords had issued a decree to the effect that it is verboten to rock up to zee dole office in ein Transit - so Councils were told not to tax (at commercial rate) commercial vehicles for privateers.

To create a bit of banter I volunteered to tax the jeep of a traveller man whom I knew quite well - his response was “I’ll tax yours for you”. How is an unregistered self-employed businessman - no offence - going to do that? says I. Simple says he - South Dublin don’t refuse money unlike the Wicklow Cocos - I just get the girl to write “the Campsite, Tallaght” on the form.

Now, if some of the posters on this thread came back and told us where the early bird Councils are, a helpful list could be compiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Dublin city uses the year. You need to ring and arrange an appointment date and time as office is not drop in anymore. Only one place for all Dublin. As hinted by others you need insurance with the reg of car. You might get away with just putting random insurance on form but don't go in without all paperwork. Ideally print out forms at home as when I was there they had no blank forms lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dex Dexta

Thanks for that - and thanks for the tips; most helpful.

Had not realised that Dublin was now down to one office (whilst Donegal has as many offices as there are counties in Munster - a quick Google reveals).

Would never have considered bringing proof of insurance - Top Tip - (although I’m old enough to remember not being issued a tax disc without proof).

So in twenty three and a half months the Alfa shall be taxed for a whole year for the fist time in its life!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Was in Kilkenny motor tax office a couple of months back sorting tax on daily driver. Explained that I had a car first registered in Aug '94 which I wanted to change to classic in 2024. She explained the process re paperwork and went off to check with another staffer if I could do it from the beginning of '24. Answer was yes. The car just needs to be in it's 30th year and the KK office will process all applications to switch from private class to vintage.

Have had my e36 since 2007 and it's been on classic insurance since 2014 and only used for shows and summer spins. The tax was always a ballache that was hard to justify, especially last summer when I barely drove it due to terrible weather. Will be fantastic to slap a 12 month disc on it for buttons this year.

• Advertisement

Mayo county council Castlebar tax office

Advertisement