Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread Nov 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

"Alison Curtis in for Andrea" cue me running for the off switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And I'd listen to her all day! I love her accent, and sense of humour.

The subject matter they foisted on her leaves a lot to be desired, mind you - or the bit I heard at the end of the show did. Authors droning on about how fantastic authoring is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Coming up on the Hard Shoulder: Vogue and Spencer...

* off *

vacuous pair of twats laughing at their own jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Alison Curtis did well today I think. The slot suits her. I think we need to cut everyone a bit of slack who does present Lunchtime Live though because it is complete dross topics and it's tough interviewing head-the-balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Newstalk with it's annual "Seachtain na Gaeilge" tokenism and the newsreaders signing of with "Ta tu suas chun data"

It's awful. It's not grammatically correct Irish in any shape or form. Could they not contact Gael Linn or Conradh na Gaeilge for a more appropriate phrase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They did same last few years, seem to use google translate or such, being told to do so by management. Shane Beatty in particular is annoying (Hi Shane!). RnaG readers say "agus sin an nuacht is deireanaí" or "sin na scéalta don tráth seo" etc. I guess NT are making an effort, they just use a very mallet to hammer the language

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Considering how much Coleman considers himself to be an expert gaeilgeoir it is pretty embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Part of the problem I suppose,the grammar police.

He's just one of those proud parents of kids going to a gaelscoil who pretends to know the language by dusting off a stock phrase every now and again. Leave the Irish to RnaG and stop hurting our ears. Or confine it to that NT show that maybe 6 people tune in to.

Deleted 😮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Shane Coleman thinks he has his finger on the pulse of the nation.

He declared this morning that the unprecedented and massive NO vote would have no reflection on the upcoming elections (European, Local and National) and the Government ministers didn't need to be sweating over this result. He was incredibly blasé in sweeping away this result and almost said it was insignificant in bigger terms for this Government!

He is the epitome of "out of touch" media and is partially responsible (along with other main stream media) for this shock NO result, much of it was anti- Government and anti-establishment and strongly reflects the anger of the ordinary public!

Don't think it was an anti Government vote. It just got overly complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't like, never mind agree with, Shane Coleman at the best of times but he's not wrong. Most of my friends and family who voted No-No but the vote in no-way was anti-government so I think he's not wrong at all.

His butchering of the Irish language though.... 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

yes but the fact we even held a referendum on something nobody asked for, costing millions, that was never properly explained or debated angered people , particularly women ,mothers and people caring for family members. In this case people rejected the Government and their sheer arrogance......and they need to listen and feel the mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think you just proved my point to be honest.

Anyways, the merits of the referendum aren't for this thread.

Either way, we can still all agree that Coleman is generally a gobshite.

Both of them really showed off how dim they are when that bus drivers text was explaining how to correctly drive on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Coleman surely blamed it all on one off housing or people with open fireplaces did he?

He is almost a caricature of the Dublin-centric, affluent, woke, media set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Both of them need to get a copy of the Rules Of The Road and read it, particularly page 128 ( in the copy I have) about turning right at a crossroads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In this case the objective view would have to be that Coleman will likely be correct as only one "party" Aontu called for a NO/NO. To say that much of the vote was "ant-government" and "anti-establishment" misunderstand the complexities that made up the NO vote.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Shane Coleman doing a terrible job hiding his contempt for Sinn Fein in an tetchy interview with Pearse Doherty just now. If you're gonna ask him a question, Shane, he should answer it - not you

Newstalk breakfast with their daily rage bait segment is getting so tiresome, I nearly vomitted this morning when Ruth Dudley Edwards proclaimed her bravery for coming on an Irish radio station and admitting she voted for brexit.

Another few "water found to be wet" surveys; Irish people found to be slightly less stoked about immigration and Brits not giving a sh1t about and wanting rid of NI.

I love the way they can take a survey that shows that there is increasing antipathy towards immigration, particularly by non-EU and non -Ukrainians and spun it as "People are slightly more positive about immigration"

The representative from NASC really had no answers to direct questions from Shane Coleman

As for Ruth Dudley Edwards? Up there with Dana Ehrlich in the odiousness league table. Conor Cruise O'Brien in drag

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Late on the Sean Moncreiff show, Sean's Irish Guest ( i did'nt catch their name ) bemoaned " The LITTLE BOYS the world over " who contintued to deride the increased femine dimension in the new Ghostbuster films and TV series. I switched off.

One of the many reasons I have'nt trusted Irish Movie "Reviewers" for a long time.

Nothing to do with the fact it was a terribly written unfunny movie.

Is it me or does Ivana Bacik get a ridiculous amount of airtime?

edit

• Advertisement

Go to left viewpoint. Not as much as the Healy's. Lord help us,no idea why they get so much airtime,Michael in particular.

Advertisement