Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo EX90

Options
  • 10-11-2022 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Volvo have launched their new EV, the EX90. Disappointingly similar to the XC90 on the outside (its a nearly 8 year old design), quite different on the inside, promising 600km on a single charge and 100kms+ of charge within 10 minutes. Havent seen any pricing yet but I expect it'll be monstrously expensive and still sell like hot cakes.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭useless

Dammit I forgot the links and I cant work out how to edit posts on new Boards, apologies:

More detail at https://www.volvocars.com/uk/ (volvocars.com redirects to the irish site for me- their most important launch in years and they havent bothered updating their website...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

96k sterling in the uk so god only knows what it’ll cost here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Total speculation, but looking at how rival electric SUVs convert from GBP to EUR, I'd say roughly EUR 110k.

Supposedly there will be a single motor version for around GBP 75k, so maybe starting around EUR 86/87k.

A fair chunk of change but they won't be able to keep them in the showrooms, the XC90 is very popular around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭cannco253

“Like the Polestar 3, the EX90 can charge at a maximum 250 kW, which is unusual for a 400-volt vehicle given that all rivals that offer similar charging speeds do so by using an 800-volt architecture. The secret, though, according to Lutz Stiegler, Volvo’s lead for batteries and electric propulsion, is in the higher amperage that it can take - 600 amps is what allows for the higher charging speed without resorting to 800 volts.

Not all CCS chargers can deliver the necessary amperage - as they are usually limited to around 350 amps - but some fast chargers do offer more and it’s with those chargers that the EX90 (or Polestar 3) will be able to reach its peak rate of charge. According to the manufacturer, when connected to such a charger, it takes 30 minutes to bring the state of charge from 10 to 80 percent; 10 minutes of charging add 112 miles (180 km).”

First I’ve heard of this (on a 400 volt architecture).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I was hoping it would have been a similar price to the XC90 hybrid. But it starts at 76k in UK so if that is anything to go by I'd say it could be around the 120k mark here. I'd love to get one for the missus, 7 seater not essential for us, but it has been very handy on numerous occasions. There is nothing else around with 7 seats in that size that I'd be able to afford or be interested in buying. I love the XC90, the only thing that put me off when I had one for a day test drive was that the infotainment is not up there with the BMWs. Hopefully they improve that in the EX90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

That looks nice actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If they can land a 2wd 7seat version here for €80-€85k, they’ll sell like hot cakes. No other 7 seat EV option with decent range and proper 3rd row seating available.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Doesn’t Tesla offer 250kw charging at 400v too. Model 3 for example.

Tesla make great EV’s but nothing in the current range are a rival for the EX90

Not comparing the cars here. Just the charging architecture. The OP said nothing else charges at 250kw over 400v to which the Tesla does.

No need to turn this into yet another Tesla V ANother EV brand.

But let’s hope Volvos dismal reliability records can improve in their EV offerings as I actually like volvo cars.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Advertisement

Absolutely, plenty busy Tesla threads on here already. Good to see another EV option for folks that need 7 proper seats.

By comparison the Mercedes EQB is tiny small in the rear row and it’s range is pretty ordinary too for what it costs.

€120k

I doubt we will see loads on the roads here though.

Hope the €120K isn’t right, 2wd version will surely be a good bit cheaper than the launch model. Haven’t seen a price list yet for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@cannco253 - "Like the Polestar 3, the EX90 can charge at a maximum 250 kW, which is unusual for a 400-volt vehicle given that all rivals that offer similar charging speeds do so by using an 800-volt architecture."

That's not true. Teslas can charge at 250kW and they only have 400V architecture.

Point made earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aye, by @Gumbo. You seemed to dismiss / deflect this point though.

Also Chinese cars like Volvo and Polestar seem to come up with hugely overpriced EVs like this Volvo EX90 and the Polestar 3. They seriously are not worth spending a 6 figure sum on. They seem to think they are competing with top tier car makers like BMW, Mercedes and Tesla. But they are not.

Time will tell but it will be extremely overpriced for a Volvo. We might see some on the south Dublin school run.

EV’s are currently overpriced for sure. Most people paying 6 figures for a car will want a prestigious german car brand not something made in china.

Madness as the parts on that German assembled car all come from china 🤣🤣

But yes, if I was spending €100k on a car it would be a Porsche Taycan. None of the others from bmw or Audi can match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

Bit like Ionity, the Taycan pricing suddenly looks very competitive.

• Advertisement

Still no sign of prices from Volvo Ireland. UK high spec launch version available to preorder at £96k, indications that base model versions to follow at £75k approx.

It’s it’s anything to go buy, the Porsche Taycan starts at £75kg sterling also in the UK.

The base Taycan in Ireland is €96k so that would put the base Volvo at around that price. €100k again you add dealer related charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dasein

well, it'll all be about the guaranteed value - very few paying 90k cash for anything in ireland

the XC90 is a good car and that's why you see a lot of them ... for me I'll be really interested to see what LIDAR brings to the table, pretty impressive that they have it on there and are confident that it can deliver ... I

Hopefully Volvo Ireland won’t be as greedy as whoever has the Porsche franchise here. If trim levels are similar to the current XC90, the base model should be well equipped and will make up the majority of sales here.

It’s a €100k jeep. Don’t hold your breath unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Soarer

That's a good looking car.

Spoke to a dealer in Cork, still no word on pricing and rhd models not expected here until Q3 next year. Yet he has taken several deposits from customers who are keen to have the first ones. Mad stuff.

It would be very interesting if you share the dealer details (Is it JPMG?) as the biggest Volvo dealer in Ireland which are based in Dublin, are not taking any orders whatsoever.

They have no official idea on pricing and won’t have a dealer demo until late Q2/Early Q3 with customers orders for early 2024.

• Advertisement

Yes, good guess. It wasn’t described as an order deposit but more like a refundable booking deposit for a build slot as they will have a limited allocation of when the order books open. Cork city suburbs seem to have a significant population of repeat XC90 customers for the last 20 years. This cohort are going to be the first to jump for the EX90 whenever they can get them. There wont be too many towbars on them either.

Advertisement