Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yea these Romanians really are taking the piss alright.

Listen to this story.

I know of one who was a chef, but got into a motorcycle accident and lost his job.

Do you know what he did when he had recovered ?

Went and opened his own bakery, employing his wife and a few more Romanian people.

Seriously like, first of all he is occupying a building that could be used to house Irish people on the housing waiting list and secondly he is taking all the baking jobs that unemployed Irish people want.

The sooner we get rid of the likes of him the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Romanians =/= Roma. I've known a couple of the former. Seemed fine to me. They didn't appreciate being associated with the latter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I used to work with one until recently. Sound lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

To be fair there are plenty Romanians that will work and contribute to Irish society but the Roma ethnic group from Romania dont seem to work instead claiming every benefit possible and begging along with many arrested for criminality .

Its quite similar to the Irish profile in the UK in recent years , we have some very educated Irish contributing to the UK economy but the Irish Traveller is similary regarded by the british on benefits etc , everytime you turn on Crimewatch UK they are looking for the whereabouts of some Irish Traveller or other .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I work with two Romanians in a very high profile hotel in Dublin, they are the hardest working and most professional lads ive had the pleasure to work with

They could teach the Irish workers in here a thing or two

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Just a natural rate of progression I guess. We've witnessed Poland go through it European companies moving in, operations, manufacturing, logistics, then advancing to tertiary sector coding, IT, finance. Not as much sense in Poles emigrating anymore now that they have job opportunities in their fields at home and the quality of life gap narrowed. Time for Romania. I call it now we will see the same jobs shift to Romania over the next 10 years and the pattern of immigration will shift further.

You really have to differentiate between immigrants who came here to work/study/live and those who came for benefits. As some here said Romanians are great, on average a bit less craic than you've been spoiled with but their priorities are family, work, life. They integrate just fine.

You really have to differentiate between immigrants who came here to work/study/live and those who came for benefits.

In reality how many, from anywhere come to a country for the benefits?

If you are a lay about in Bucharest on the dole, how motivated are you going to be to up sticks from a place you are comfortably lazy in to go to a different country, the other side of Europe, with a different culture and language, with a much higher cost of living just to be lazy there also for more money.

Does it really make financial sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,578 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People need to be educated they are for the most part NOT Romanians,

They are Roma or Romani gypsies they are an ethic group that originated in North west India & spread across Europe , Most of them in Ireland are Bulgarian ,

Romanians are lovely people & its a beautiful country ,

This thread is the equivalent of a German seeing a bunch of English travellers in there City & starting a thread about with all the Irish in our City ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd say it's pretty easy to motivate yourself to move from Romania if your Roma , especially if you're experiencing social , economic , educational exclusion routinely.

Romania is that bad its legislatures had to enact laws recently bringing tougher sentences for its citizens that discriminate against Roma.

As an aside Roma must be the significant living here that experienced the wrath of Hitlers genocide and all certain posters can do is rattle off shite about them , for perspective, there's between 5 and 7 thousand Roma living here.

• Advertisement

But Roma are traditionally a nomadic people, and as others have said on this thread not all Roma are Romanian and not all Romanian are Roma.

I'm asking about your standard eastern European version of Anto or Decko, who grew up in a house and community where very few worked, who left school early and has been on the dole all their lives.

Would they really be movitated to move to a different, more expensive country with a different culture just because the benefits were better?

Or would they just stay were they are, breed and keep the whole cycle rolling and rolling locally.

You don't see Anto or Decko heading off to Scandinavia even though they have better welfare states than ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Are there any stats on where the majority of Roma are actually coming from? They're obviously not synonymous with Romanians (very different in fact, despite being conflated), but as far as I know Hungary and Bulgaria also have a big Roma contingent, and yet people always assume they come from Romania.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jews suffered the same and worse for centuries and still do today in a few quarters and moved all over the world. Look at social problems, unemployment, levels of begging, crime and prison stats, cultural impacts negative and positive. Roma and Jews. Compare and contrast. It is inescapable to conclude that one culture is significantly superior to the other by nigh on every metric.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Somebody should tell Microsoft so they stop using "North Europe" to designate their Irish datacentres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Second biggest ethnic group in Romania, further associating them with the country and regular Romanians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Seems like a veiled attempt to stirr up some good old hatred there gasún.'

Why should simply noticing that Romanians live in Ireland stir up hatred?

Are we not supposed to know or care who lives in our country?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

its no ones business who is taking welfare and who isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Not individual people no.

But tax payers have a right to know where the money is going.

As for Romanians, I have not got a problem with them, I'm good friends with a Romanian.

One of the nicest people you could meet, he's married to a Polish woman and the 2 of them are hardworking people. If they ever ended up on social welfare I'd never judge them as far as I'm concerned they'd deserve any help they can get if they ended up in unfortunate circumstances.

Definitely compared to the little scrotes here who finish school and have a full time career waiting in line at the post office.

And I will admit I was ignorant growing up believing romas where Romanians

As for romas , they beg for a living, or at least every single one I happened to cross paths with in Ireland, Bulgaria and Spain do.

Jews certainly did suffer worse throughout the world at different times but I think of here in Ireland apart from programs and the start of the 1900s , nobody really bothers Jews .If anything despite being a very small grouping , they are very accepted in Ireland in recent generations.

Whereas Roma here are experiencing maybe low level ignorance type issues here , even a poster using the term Roma " Anto and Decos".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

So Roma immigrants don't have very high dependency levels on the Irish state?

Got any stats you can share with us? I will be open minded to review them.

It's all down to the ignorant Irish who are paying their taxes and funding the welfare for people not in the country a month.....I see. Typical to turn the issue back on what are very generous hosts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Boards plumbing new depths with this one...."are we all racists now Father"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

What's your point?

I think this thread sorts out some misconceptions for a lot of folks.

The broad conclusion was Romanians are mainly a hard working family oriented bunch, lots of good references here.

This thing of 'we are Central Europeans, not Southern Europeans' is horse manure.

Firstly, there is no line in the sand which divides one group from another.

And second, trying to suggest that you want to be called one and not the other suggests that one is better than they other, which isnt true.

Reminds of back in the day when the residents of Ballymun Road petitioned for the road to be renamed as Glasnevin Road. What a two fingers that was to actual marginalised people living in Ballymun.

And second, trying to suggest that you want to be called one and not the other suggests that one is better than they other, which isnt true.

Ah yes, the old moral/cultural equivalance so terribly fashionable over the last few decades. Doesn't really stand up to objective scrutiny though does it? Though it does make things easier because one doesn't have to actually compare and contrast and have to think of differences, negative or positive. Here's an oul question for you: Is the Ireland of 2022 more or less inclusive of different opinions, lifestyles, sexualities, genders, faiths etc compared to the Ireland of 1952? If you say no, then you've either been living in a cave, or are in a state of extreme denial. So unlikely. If you say yes? Congratulations, you've just made a judgement of culture and suggested one is better than the other. Well fancy that.

I don't, but bear in mind in order get certain welfare payments in Ireland, you must satisfy HRC , so to assume Roma are turning in droves off the boat and colkecting benefit is wrong.

Through my own occupation, I met three Roma and all are in employment, anecdotal evidence but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

Assuming that you're Irish, are you ok with being called British or with people not making any difference between Irish and Irish Travelers?

Wha?...I said what exactly....you are congratulating me on what exactly?

Could you start by going back to the school of plain English, and then let us know what your point is.

Yep, largely a fair comment.

*except for the bit that says one race is entirely superior to another race....😕

• Advertisement

Advertisement