Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Cables

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

Had to reschedule until the 23rd January so still waiting for them to attend.... still hoping!

On anther note, got a letter that my smart meter is ready to be installed and I need to arrange an appointment (as the meter is inside the house). I'm going to ring them tomorrow and make an appointment, but will also specifically mention that tails should (not may) need to be upgraded. On a side note, when i got original notification of the smart meter I rang them and let them know this and they "put a note on my file".

So, a couple of questions for anybody that wants to try and help, I want to get solar in 2023 so want any works done on the meter, tails and Consumer Unit to be done in mind that Solar will also be coming so future proof it for that:

1 - I've been told that I need at least 16mmsq tails, but would 25mmsq fit as well? (I can get 3m of both size in screwfix and return in 30 days of unopened and thinking future proofing!)

2 - If I had 3m of tails available on the day for the smart meter install, what are the realistic chances of KN changing them between the fuse and the meter for me (I DO NOT expect them to do anything past the meter)

3 - What smart meter gets installed (make and model)?

4 - There is no isolation switch between meter and consumer unit, I assume, Im (REC) is responsible for this side?

5 - If by some miracle the KN Engineer was feeling really nice that day and changed the tails for me up to the meter, What are the realistic chances they would\can they leave the meter unsealed so I can get a REC to replace the meter to the CU (& maybe an Isolation switch if necessary, again future proofing as a new CU will be required for solar) and then have the privilege to pay ESB to come back and seal it all up again?

I know most of the answers already, probably 0 chance of anything I'd like getting done with even less chance of getting a new meter and the engineer leaving it unsealed! but If you don't ask you don't know. I just figure I want solar in 2023 so even if the ev charger is installed with or without work, this work is going to have to be done eventually.

Just to be 100% clear, I would NEVER take any chance of doing any high voltage electrical work myself and this would all be done by REC's.

Thanks for the advise and help on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

2 different things meter replacement and supply upgrade

Get rec to upgrade later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭meercat

Only your rec can upgrade your tails

it’s unlikely esbn engineer will do this as their responsibility ends at the meter.

when your tails are upgraded then earthing must also be upgraded

a certificate should then be issued saying the installation conforms to regulations

you may be better to put the meter installation off until tail upgrade is completed. This’ll save 2 appointments with esbn.

Hi All,

Just to update, I've had a Rec finally come to the house and discuss what I'm looking for.

I need the survey, earth ( to gas, to water and earthrod) and tails done. The rest of the house on initial inspection is fine and no requirement at this time for a rewire (subject to survey!). The REC also do EV chargers at a similar cost to everyone else for a decent smart charger so they have quoted for this as well, knowing full well what Im looking for and the end result I want as well. It makes sense for me to just go to one place and get all the work done in the one go.

I've booked the REC to do the work and should hopefully get a date for it to be done in the next 2-3 weeks (1 month before my SEAI Grant application expires), will take a day to survey and do the Earth stuff. Will then need to wait for ESB to do their bit as well and I've no idea how long it takes them once the survey is submitted. (anybody have any timeframes on that would be appreciated)

I've been quoted €1895 (inc vat) for the survey and earth and tails works and another €1350 for the charger (which is the same as 3 other companies I contacted & before SEAI grant removed). This cost does not include the €440 that ESB will charger me to change the tails as well.

I'll update as I get any more!

Thanks for the update.

it takes around 6 weeks from the time esbn gets the certificate to getting the work done

• Advertisement

Update time

I'm halfway there now. Electricians started yesterday and 99.99% finished today.

Yesterday the gang arrived to: Earth bond the gas boiler (can no longer just earth bond at the meter), earth bond the immersion and pipes, install an earth rod, install the ev charger and put new tails on the consumer unit. Got the earth rod installed, got the gas boiler earth bonded, got the immersion earth bonded, got the charger installed. The consumer unit was changed out for a new hager dual level unit as it needed 16 spaces for all the rcd's, rcbo's and surge protection. New unit has 24 spaces so no issues if I need to expand later (which I will for solar). New 16mmsq tails put in from the consumer unit to the existing 10mmsq cabling from the fuse.

Today was the finish off on the consumer unit (mark up each circuit) and the survey of each and the house. Sockets, wires, lights were all checked and there was only 1 outstanding issue found - The bathroom light is metal but no earth and the fitting is not double insulated so has to be swapped out and electrician will be back tomorrow to swap out the light. All the other metal lights in the house are either double insulated or have an earth so no problems with them

One surprise was when checking the lights, living room and kitchen were not earthed but there was an earth wire available to use, it just wasnt installed?! so that was fixed there and then in 5 minutes.

so now, electrician will send off the details to ESB Networks to request a change of tails, and removal of old 2nd fuse as there are 2 fuses, the normal esb fuse but also a 2nd fuse. Electrician said that ESB will probably swap out the meter while they are at it as well (currently old analog unit) as Smart Meters have been installed in the area only last month. I was advised that I could speed things up a bit if I contact esb networks and request an invoice for a tails upgrade and they will sent that out, I pay it (apparently its only about 150euro and not 440euro like I was told by someone else) and then ESB wait for the instruction from the electrician before they commence any work.

Going to ring ESB tomorrow and request invoice for tails upgrade and then just have to wait but after that, no issues and confirmed by electrician, no requirement to rewire the house at the moment.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the update. Give esbn a few days before contacting them. It takes a while before your certificate goes on their system and they generate an invoice for you

All done, everything has been completed, ESB Networks were in yesterday.

New Tails

New Fuse

New Meter

Electrician will drop in next week to check over and make sure he's happy with it but can work away now with the car charger and don't need to worry if I decide to get solar later in the year. Thanks all for the advise.

1960s wiring with just a board and mains upgrade doesn't seem like a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

• Advertisement

Yeah. I’d love to see the test records for this one. Any chance of posting them op. Hide your details and the rec’s

No, I wont be posting anything else up here.

Are you suggesting that a REC listed on the SEAI website would cut corners and not inspect the house as appropriately required?

I'm wondering are these boards being fitted with main isolator and no consumer main mcb

Seemed that way on the other thread

That 2M rule could be catching people out thinking they don't need a main mcb

Yes , it happens all the time , did you get a test record sheet for the fuseboard, every circuit has to be tested when a fuseboard is changed

I can confirm that my own consumer unit has the isolator switch beside the charger (as pictured) and also has a 40a RCBO (DGB1NLE-40A) in the consumer unit as well.

Fire up a closeup of the board .See is there any main overcurrent protection

I can see how that rule would cause confusion( if you're an idiot)

That’s well within your rights

you’ve received great advice here so far and the contributors are trying to help you

im just wondering if theres

1.main ocpd fitted

2.surge protection

3.Double pole isolation on the distribution board

4.what the insulation resistance is for a 1960s house

5.resistance of the cpc

4&5 should be on the test record sheets that you were provided along with the Cert

1&2&3 should be visible on the distribution board

in my experience it’s unlikely (but not impossible)that that the cables of a 1960s installation will pass the certification process.

Is it DP isolation for all new boards in an installation or just DP main isolation?

This is what I've got now, its got the added Surge protection & DP Isolator switch as well.

Most of them Hager mcbs are second hand ,see the two last ones on the bottom right , they are new , well new shape anyway

• Advertisement

Plus he has put your shower on the main rcd , which is a no no ,did you get any paper work ?

Cheers op. JL spark has spotted an issue that needs addressing

any figures for insulation resistance and rpc.

Back to the future with the shower on main rcd

What's 13 looks like a C40

Is that a main mcb or isolator

Looks like half of it's off Ebay and the rest from the locker room

Seems to be an rcbo didn't spot that , off Alibaba or somewhere, wouldn't like to be depending on it

Can't tell from picture if that's a main isolator or an mcb they've stuck in there. It's labelled isolator so that would mean no main overcurrent protection fitted

Another issue there -That old model board has a type AC main rcd which has been phased out these days

Doesn't lighting on new work need 30ma protection as well ?

Post edited by kirk. on

Advertisement