Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Window Cleaner caused huge damage to glass.

2»

Comments

This puts me off getting a window cleaner ever- I’ve mostly done my own but because windows are old, I didn’t pay too much attention to keeping clean cloths etc If I ever get new windows it’s proper equipment and just myself that will do them - that must be so depressing for you

Funnily enough I was watching a neighbours house get their windows cleaned recently and one minute they were scrubbing the gutters surround and next minute cleaning windows with same cloth- yuck- definately more wary now about window cleaners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

The guy came recommended and had done others in the area. Nice chap etc. It's unfortunate but if you're going to do work on other peoples property you've got to make sure the right tools are being used. A few bleeding bits of grit is all it takes here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

The world doesn't work in absolutes like a mathematical equation. People do stupid things all the time. There is nothing to "add up".

No amount of guessing or investigation as to the specific root cause based on some forum pictures is going to lead anywhere other than argument, there are just too many variables.

Lesson learned for me anyway - sorry it had to be at your expense - never struck me that windows could get damaged so easily - I hate paying money out to people for jobs I can do myself hence only twice I think have I used a (reputable/comes recommended) window cleaner- but I’d hate to be left in that position after- at least if I do it, I’ve only myself to blame

Here is an example of the scratches... i put a piece of cellotape there in case you can't see...

😪

Looks more like he used a damaged / worn squeegee with a sharp edge or something. Those are huge scrapes.

The panes of those windows aren't likely repairable without replacement. Most windows are coated, you can't just polish them out and it would be a huge task to do that with scratches that size anyway.

Just an update from my damaged glass.. 14 double glazed units in total.

To get the glass polished to remove the quote was 5000, to replace the 14 units it will be 1500.

The window cleaner accepted it was his fault so said he would cover the damage. Just got to contact him with the price now. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jean3009

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your comments, I know its impossible to comment confidently when you only have a couple of pictures to judge by. Anyhow, we did go to a solicitor and they issued a letter. The window cleaners insurers (whoever they are, because we haven't been told) sent out an assessor who took lots of photographs.

A couple of weeks later, the claims assessor communicated with the solicitor that "Our client has stated that the only equipment he used was a handheld window mop, two squidges (for removing moisture from the windows), and microfibre cloths." A blatant lie. He absolutely 100% as witnessed by us used a Unger blade and I have a WhatsApp message from him where he discusses how he used a blade. So that's where we are at for now.

Xcellor - so glad that you got sorted. On closer inspection we noticed all the windows are scratched and got a quote of over €6000 to replace the glass!!

Advertisement