Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts.ie

Options
2»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tea_Lover

i got shafted by paypal a few years ago and id never use it again

always chose to side with the buyer

revolut from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Hi All

Does anyone know how one would get in touch with the adverts team in relation to an account issue.

It would seem that there is no one behind the contact us option.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭GaryKE.

Anyone notice the amount of older accounts being compromised lately on adverts?

• Advertisement

This is fact, but also my opinion and I do not speak for any group or organisation.

Everytime there is a data breach, details are leaked. Anybody that reuses the same email and password combination across the net is wide open to being hacked and identity theft.

The reason everyone is advised to regularly change passwords and vary passwords across sites is so that if one site is compromised, the scammers cannot use your details to log in elsewhere. Sadly, people dont bother and then when they are compromised, they blame everyone except themselves.

Also, with the relentless cost cutting and outsourcing to the low cost economies and agencies, work and accesses are being sent out to contractors god-knows-where. They have access to info that is very sensitive and as the link below for electric ireland says;

"It said an employee of a company working on its behalf may have inappropriately accessed 8,000 residential customer accounts. Electric Ireland said this could lead to the potential misuse of personal and financial information."

The data breaches below have been declared. But nobody knows if this is accurate, or there is more than being admitted to. Do you regularly change your passwords? For handiness, do you use the same password in multiple places? If you do, be worried, be very worried, see these:

Also:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/lyca-mobile-data-breach/

If you get hacked. The cause, and where it occured could be anywhere or anything. Even a virus on your PC harvesting your passwords. Dont blame any or some websites, sadly it is mostly not their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Hi there,

I am looking at buying a laptop on adverts and its 1700 Euro so I want to be very safe and protected.

The seller has 4k + postiive feedback and not one negative feedback. They also have a ton of history going back 6 years and over 100 items for sale.

They say they are a registered online business, can meet in person or it can be delivered, and can give a registered business receipt.

Now if they post it to me, registered business and receipt mean jack all if they are scammers. But the fact they have 4k+ positive reviews means they are legit, right?

I asked if they would do paypal goods and services payment and Id pay the 3.4% charge and they said as long as they get the same money, they are happy.

Am I totally covered here?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

My account has been hacked, I got an email today to notify me about an ad I placed (I didn't).

I edited the ad to advise others that it's not a real ad, then withdrew the ad, have contacted support at adverts, and changed my password.

Post edited by gipi on

If your account has been hacked, read the post 37, just up a bit. You need to change your passwords and also vary them. Normally this happens when you use the same password on multiple sites and one gets hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ACC21

Last Saturday (2/12) I ordered a battery and a charging cable for the PSP.

Then it arrived this Sunday (9/12). Before I received it, I'd update the seller every day that it hadn't arrived. When I received it, I forgot to update the seller. Then today, the battery and/or charger started to break down. Keep in mind, it is December in Ireland, and the seller decided to ship 2 electronics with nothing but an envelope to protect them from the rain.

The products that came also weren't the same as the ad (the ad had a black, shorter end cable, i receive a white one that didnt fit right, the battery was a different brand)

I decided to message the seller, but then I found out I got blocked. I left a report on their profile, but I'm wondering if I can get a refund or any reimbursement in any way? (I payed via Family&Friends on PayPal)

Note: The ad falsely addvertised the products, they weren't properly packaged, they arrived late, I got blocked before the seller even knew I received the items, the ad listed them as "Brand new", the description said it was compatible with my device.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Summary: I got faulty item, it was listed wrong and badly packaged, I got blocked, I reported the user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why on earth do people still pay strangers via Family and Friends? You'll get no recompense from PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Never use Paypal Friends & Family. Sometimes sellers just want it so that they won't be charged a Paypal fee.

If that's the case, you're better off paying them extra to cover the fee but make sure it is sent for "goods/services". They then get the exact amount of the sale price.

Costs more but you have some chance of getting your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I use PayPal and ask Friends and Family as people can check my 100% feedback.

Contact Admin of Adverts and give them info of what you bought and received.

Not packed or wrapped well is their issue not yours.

Did you read their feedback first ?

If you want to send me info on a pm i can look at it as a third party if you cannot?

I read the users feedback and they had 300+ positive with no negative, so I thought they were trustworthy, but I guess not. Also, quick question, is there a way to contact Adverts support in other ways that isn't just reporting the user?

Also, if you dont mind could you look into it? I cant contact the seller in any way because I'm blocked, and if there's even a slim chance of me being able to get my money back, or any sort of compensation, I'd appreciate it very much. I can send you a PM with some details later on if you're happy to do so. It's ok if you don't want to or if you can't, thank you.

Email support@adverts.ie Best and only way to get in touch with them.

Compensation? From who? and why? Adverts is an online portal people use to advertise. If you see an advert in the irish times and buy something which turns out to be iffy, who do you think is responsible? I hope you would not expect the Irish times to be responsible.

I didn't word that question correctly, I just kinda mean a refund, even if it's only a partial refund. Thanks for the email too

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Deirdre5

Looks like someone hacked an old adverts account and advertised a gaming wheel. I had alerts on for this gaming wheel as I wanted it for ages and didn't wanna pay full whack. Anyway he said he'd post it to me and to pay through PayPal. He had positive feedback and previous ads. Anyway the PayPal name was foreign which rang alarm bells but I thought sure there's loads of foreigners now in Ireland. Paid through friends and family cos it was the automatic option on PayPal. Mad how as soon as I clicked send for 150€ I instantly had the worst gut feeling. Just knew it was a scam literally as soon as I clicked send. Anyway long story short aib and PayPal don't wanna know. Seller not answering. That's me taught a harsh lesson I suppose. Just never had any issues with adverts before was actually singing their praises when I moved house and bought so much stuff on there. Won't be using it again feel very hard done by. Didn't even cross my mind someone had hacked an old account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

This has been going on months for concert tickets on there with loads getting scammed by old accounts being hacked.

How Adverts hasn't sent out an email giving every user a few weeks to reset their passwords on their accounts or they'll be shut down I'll never know as scamming is absolutely rampant on there and something seriously needs to be done!!!

Advertisement