Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts.ie

Options
  • 30-10-2022 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all I am a newbie here. Does anyone know why so many using Adverts dont have any feedback even though they have sold items and are members for several years. Is there some kind of scam going on?

Post edited by whiterebel on

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I'm Using the web version on Android mobile,

I can't see to figure out how to simply post a WANTED advert,

I can only seel items

Probably something simply I'm missing.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Yes, and I'm logged in

Sell is my only option showing

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Go into search and scroll down

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Search button should be bottom of page with Notifications, sell and my profile. Like a magnifying glass 🔍

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TweetyBird101

Hi, not sure if you had this answered, but go to sell and when you have to pick a category, click search and choose “wanted”. Do the rest like a normal ad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Old enough post, but I just saw it.

I don't know the answer, but I've sold a few things, and most people do leave feedback, but plenty just don't bother. So I have been a member for years, and still don't have that much feedback (100% positive though as buyer and seller).

In short it may be a scam, but it is possible they are legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Havana club

Might seem like a small world problem. But my dog chewed one of the legs on my table and ripped the stuffing out of the chairs. Don't have the money to replace rn. I love adverts and have bought, sold and mainly posted free adds over the years. 451 positive feedback. 0 negative. So I'm.on the hunt for a free table and chairs. The second an add is posted the same fe**ers or new users have requested and then I see the free items for sale on Facebook. I'm obsessed the last week. Don't even care what it looks like, I can up cycle. These vultures are driving me crazy..are there no rules on adverts where for example... A person who created an account only today has requested 47 items.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have you brought this to Adverts attention? Not much really much point complaining here. Facebook have groups which do free for people in need with limits on how much you can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi Folks,

I'm currently selling an item on Adverts and there's a new account buyer who has no feedback, no comments etc who wants to buy. Normally I'd be wary of such a buyer but everyone has to start somewhere I guess. What I'm wondering is this. Is there a safest method of payment for an item (it's several hundred Euro in this case). Paypal would be out for the likelihood they could request a refund. Cash is possible I guess, though I'd worry about counterfeit notes. Would Revolut be the best way? Or just steer clear of a buyer like this.

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would go with cash or revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I would personally go with Revolut transfer, I have done a lot of transactions similar over the last year or two and haven't had any issues using it.

Just make sure that you accept the transfer before you hand over the item, sometimes if its a new person sending you money you have to go into the app and accept. Other than that you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭blackbox

À bank transfer should be fine too. Just make sure the money is in your account before handing over the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Cash all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I use cash and PayPal if posting and tracked and insured if expensive , never got into Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for all the advice folks, it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Unsure what to do in this situation, I sold an item on adverts.ie I posted the item without tracking as requested by buyer as it is cheaper. Buyer says it never arrived. I have proof of postage but not of delivery.

Do I have to refund the buyer ? I can't really afford to lose my item and the cost of postage,and I have no way to know if they are telling the truth.

Ill know for future to always send registered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Buyer requested no tracking so he could claim it wasn't received and try to scam you. Obvious scam is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

how did the buyer pay ?

item not received is a common scam and if PayPal was used over a value of around 30 euro then paypal will request prove of delivery

The internet isn’t for everyone

They paid via PayPal :(

Nothing you can do sadly they will open a dispute and get a refund, just follow what PayPal say

it’s a hard lesson learned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

Did look at the buyers feedback score..

Look at his profile, you might see other items they bid on,, it might give you some idea of who you are dealing with..

I think they might have paid via family/ friend on Paypal as I asked to pay that way or cover fees , and I got the full amount with no fees ducted.

The buyer has a small amount of feedback, all positive

I'm not sure if they are a scammer or not. I'm more concerned if I should morally refund them. Maybe the item did get lost and from there point of view I can only prove I posted something on the date :s

A very small amount of items actually get lost in the post, get the buyer the check with neighbours and any safe place it may have been left

if the buyer is pulling a fast one it is easy to get PayPal to switch friends and family to goods and services claiming it was a mistake.

wether you should refund the buyer by choice is up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

First rule of Fight Club... Never use PayPal!!! It's a scam... everything related to PayPal is a scam. If someone asks you to pay or be paid with PayPal... It's a scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It absolutely is... It has never protected me against dodgy sellers and is set up to allow scammers to gain and regular customers to be fucked over. It offers no benefit over a credit card or other regular payment methods...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

How long ago did you post it?

Maybe he just hasn't received it yet. If it's a day or 2 then I'd be saying wait till the end of the week.

Sometimes post and packets get missorted bounce around offices for a few days until someone finally sends it to the correct delivery unit..

If it's over a week or two then fair enough maybe something's up

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

If they paid family and friends, I dont think they can do a charge back but as a precaution, I would sever any ability for paypal to hit you. Dont leave any cash in paypal or block the card you used to finance it. Of course, you can never use paypal again if it does happen, but PP are known for siding with the buyer.

It is indeed a known scam somebody complains "not delivered", and you cannot prove otherwise. Maybe you will get lucky and the buyers neighbour has it or it will appear yet.

Dont bother contacting adverts, nothing they can do, they are only an advertising site.

It’s protected me many times as a buyer and also as a seller, if someone knows how to use PayPal it’s perfectly fine and if you don’t like it then that is fine also but to say PayPal is a scam is a bit over kill

they provide 180 day buyer protection, they paid postage for returns for years if you knew how to claim it and plenty of boards users availed of that service and it was very handy for sports direct back to the U.K. among other merchants

• Advertisement
Advertisement