Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber shed 10 x 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Or any suggestions for my budget please? I'm fairly handy and could do it myself but don't have the time. Have to refurbish a whole house. Even at that, you're looking in the €1500 range of a self build. But that's with 2nd hand Pvc door and window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You will pay more than you expect because timber is expensive. When you start putting shiplap on the side of a shed you soon see how quickly it gets eaten up.

Price wise I always recon you can make a lot better shed yourself than you'll buy but you won't save much.

I can run through how you make one if you like. There is a fairly standard prefabrication method.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭d1980

Bought a shed from these guys last year and couldnt have been more helpful. Would recommend. My aunt got one a couple of weeks later and again, v happy. Send you plan agead of putting up and give notice, only take a deposit until delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have bought sheds from this crowd and been entirely satisfied. They will accommodate your requirements and are very quick to supply - my last one I got in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

Got a shed from gardensheds4less during the summer. Grand job, no leaks that I can see so far and was put together in about an hour.

Communication and customer service were so-so and I can definitely see where the bad reviews come from in that regard. Took a few weeks for the order to arrive and the lack of communication had me worried.

I'm looking for an insulated shed/office for next year so either I get similar and insulate myself or if anyone can suggest a reasonably priced provider that'd be welcome.

• Advertisement

Hi, what size and type shed did you get please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

got 2 from gardenshedsforsale, 2 years apart, both doing well. not great communication, always take ages to answer the phone, but deliver when they say.

top tip is to ask for extra height, the shed doors are low for taller people

I know them in that yard very well have been in and out of there for the last 20 years. I use the same construction method that they do except I put in second hand windows rather than make them. Provided you pay for the better materials their sheds are about as good as you can get for the money.

They have improved their methods over the years. I preferred the materials they used to use in their roofs but the detailing around important areas like the barge boards are much more water tight than they used to be so that doesn't really matter.

When I make a shed I don't do much to improve on their design. However I do a more reinforced floor and use thicker uprights. You don't need either but you can easily reclad a shed that has a really good framework. If you are unlucky or don't do much maintenance then shiplap won't last longer than about 15 years.

Don't get the rustic boards they are cheap and nasty and the round log finish shiplap doesn't last as long as the 18mm thick shiplap. The round finish doesn't seal well around the windows. Always always get a membrane under the shiplap. Windows are a weak point in shed design so I'd recommend going without and putting in your own second hand double glazed units. If you supplied them I suspect they'd fit them. Provided you add a couple of extra uprights where you put a window you can fit almost anything you can get hold of. If its really wide then a bit of extra support over and under the window is advised.

btw that method of construction is good for sheds up to about 10ft by 24ft. Anything longer or wider and the small errors you get in each panel add up so things don't always go together as well as they could.

I'm not sure what area they cover but I remember it was a lot further than I imagined and I'm fairly sure they have done one off sized sheds delivered and installed in Dublin but I suspect the buyer paid extra.

A final note I know Trihys will also make a shed in smaller sections so it can be taken through a house with no side entrance so it can be erected in the garden.

Wherever you buy your shed I would suggest you talk to them about some kind of reinforcement for the floor, most sheds have floors more suited to just storage.

Its mostly down to joist spacing and joist thickness. However its very easy to make a reinforced floor section so heavy it takes 4 men to shift it. I know I made that mistake ;-( I say section because the all sheds are made up in sections. A 10 x 12 will probably be made up of three 10 by 4 floor sections four 6ft long wall sections, 4 roof sections and the two ends.

The basic design allows for the walls to be whatever height you want and windows and doors can be added anywhere within a section that you want. Personally I don't like double doors as there tends to be no extra timber added to brace the frame either side of the door but you can add that yourself or ask for it to be included. It is possible to ask for extras that start to reduce the strength of the the shed. Double doors in a 10 x 12 would be OK (ish) but in a 8 ft wide shed you would barely have enough wall width to keep it upright.

• Advertisement

I'm based in South Dublin forgot to mention. The shed will be mostly storage and nothing heavy will be in it. No need for double doors. I'd love to build it myself in 3x2 with Pvc doors and windows but I just don't have the time. The house I bought needs heaps of work.

If its storage the membrane is a must. All shiplap shed walls leak to some extent. The shiplap isn't uniformly knot and inclusion free to be 100% waterproof (plus ready made sheds will use timber a self builder might discard) so you need the membrane. Easy to think a shed without a membrane is water tight only to find boxes stacked against the walls are wet up one side.

Garden sheds for sale in kilkenny is the company I'm going to buy from. They have great deals at the moment.

Two types of sheds are there and I'm going to go 10 x 14. The timber one will have heavy duty shiplap in 18mm, lined with steel roof. €2335.

Then there is a 10 x 14 in steel for €2043 which is lined to help with condensation. I live beside the mountains with high winds at times so would be a bit worried about a light steel structure during bad weather. I could fit a window to this shed at a later stage.

What would be the best option between the two would anyone know please?

My (indirect, relative bought one) experience was that the metal was very light, it rattled like mad and fairly quickly blew to bits. It was tucked into a very sheltered corner between the house and a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

FWIW I bought a shed from those guys which has been in place for the last 7 years, not a single leak in that time.

Hi,

Was it metal or timber? What size was it please?

Thanks. I was thinking the metal might not be as solid as 18mm timber shiplap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have a woodenshed from shed4less and I have another from a crowd called tree top shed.

The tree top sheds one would be more solid.

I have it 2 years.

It's 20ft x 10ft and got it taller than standard.

What I will say about it is yesterday for the first time a little water leaked from the middle of the roof.

It got in under the metal roof where the ridge cap ( if that's what you'd call it?)

I have just put expanding foam in the gaps now so hopefully that will stop it.

Also I stuff was getting condensation on it so I blocked up the windows and seems to have solved it.

I think when the sun came out in the mornings and shone in the windows it was heating up the air inside the shed too quickly.

A neighbour wired it up for me.

The tree tops one

Looks small above but just to give u an Idea of the size.

This was taken before I got it wired up.

• Advertisement

What I will say about it is yesterday for the first time a little water leaked from the middle of the roof.

It got in under the metal roof where the ridge cap ( if that's what you'd call it?)

That rain was exceptional in that is was driven by wind most of the time. tbh I'd have left the gap as that sort of steel roof with a flat ridge allows for a good bit of ventilation which would help reduce condensation. If you want to close off the gaps ideally you put in a profiled foam filler https://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/categories/profiled-foam-fillers/ but canned foam will have done the job.

btw I'm liking - voting for - the wood shed with the heavier timber sides, lining and a steel roof.

As I've said previously (I think?) windows in wooden sheds are poorly designed and a week point (rot and decay) so I'd go as far as to say I'd go for no windows at all.

I have 4 vents on the front and back.

Also there wasn't/isn't airflow where the leak was.

It was where the timber underneath was joined.

From here

Thats where the bats roost in our sheds ;-0 Theres a V shaped gap all along the ridge. Because over the years the wood has shrunk a bit I've a plastic gutter set up in one to catch the bat ****.

Still I suspect it was only the driving rain that forced the water in. I doubt very much you have any other issues with that roof.

Is there any timber under the steel or is the steel just bolted to the purlins?

10ft x 14ft Grey Steel Garden Shed | Garden Sheds For Sale

https://www.gardenshedsforsale.ie/index.php/our-sheds/grey-steel-garden-sheds/10ft-x-14ft-grey-steel-garden-shed

The more I think about it now, I'd say a strong wind would rip that apart. Its only sheet metal probably a mil or two thick wheras the shiplap is heavy duty in 18mm. The timber shed will be far heavier and more stable.

Plus, it will be going into my new home that I spent ridiculous money on so I won't have any spare money for a long time to replace the shed should it break.

The steel on a steel shed won't even be a millimeter thick but with the coating will make it to just over a millimeter and thats on a good steel shed some of the cheap ones use .27mm steel !

Yes, you have a better picture of it now.

There are sheets of timber under the steel roof (possibly OSB) and there would be a v shape channel where they join at the middle so yes the rare wind and rain the other night would get under the cap and lodge in the V.

Just a note on the foam fillers versus expanding foam.

I have the fillers on my steel shed.

They eventually start coming out and tearing.

Yes like you said the windows fitted on wooden sheds are crap and I wouldn't have any if doing again.

As well as putting boards on the windows I put sealer on the panes to stop condensation between them and the boards inside them.

I've extra wide doors which when opened leave in loads of light.

I only use the light if it's dark outside.

Boards being boards, before anyone says anything about all the wires, they are only trickle chargers that are on timers that come at varying times for an hour at a time 🫡

Also have the other wooden shed at back of my steel shed.

It's 12ft x 8 ft

Have a concrete shed also 🙊

You are like a shed hoarder 😁. Can't wait to get my shed. I've always wanted a big shed. Last one I had was 6x 8. Way too small for what I needed.

Yes, go big or go home!

No matter how big u go it'll be getting smaller as time goes by because usually starts building up inside it.

So go as big as possible at the start.

Thanks. It started off with 10 x 10, then, 10 x 12, now its at 10 x 14. Next week it will be 10 x 20.

• Advertisement

Advertisement