Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro wind turbines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There is no stats on the immersions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

What's the safety cut off for several days of not much demand on the buffer with a constant wind then?

I wouldn't have thought the immersion heater would be a fan of constant power (always on but amount of power would vary) for long periods at a time?

The safety woukd be a heat dump to the cylinder or house.

Yes the varying power constantly will be the biggest issue to the longevity of the immersions I’d say. Only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Make sure that you balance the blades before you erect it. Bearings will wear far guicker, and potential output will be impacted if not balanced. And of course, you'd end up with severe vibrations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Getting a local fabricator to have a look and come up with something.

The dump load (2 ohm resister) comes with the charge controller which is only for charging lithium batteries in my case.

Have a look at the other options on the site https://en.istabreeze.store/

I will check the blades for balance before it is erected yes.

I will have a rubber buffer between the base and the mount to dampen vibrations too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I know where your going there with dumping the hot water into the house which would be your "safety valve". On the surface it's not a bad idea and has a lot of merit, but like nelbert above I'd revisit the thinking of not having a dump resistor. What would happen if the immersion coil broke (since you've a plumbing background you know that they fail occasionally), so in that case your immersion couldn't take the load that your turbine is generating, and you would end up frying your turbines(s)....fairly needlessly as it's a relatively simple enough to install a dump resistor. I've not done this myself but it's an easy enough job I believe.

Grid tying in would be the holy grail again as nelbert mentions too, but in this case you complicate the matter a lot. If you don't have an NC6 form involved already, you'll need to get a certified spark to sign off on your circuit as you would be putting into the grid, but leaving the grid tie out of it, and having your wind turbines + immersions isolated away, you simplify the matter as it's a "off grid" solution.

I like the idea though - hoping you get it to work as we need more of these type of projects! Respect.

If you haven't come across it, Graememk built a somewhat similar heating arrangement with the output of his PV panels feeding a 500L buffer tank for the heating.

Aside: Most wind turbines produce AC unless they have a rectifier built into them which does the AC->DC internally inside the turbine itself.

My turbines are 12v DC

GRAEMEMK? Is that a user name? Definitely interested to see how it works

excellent point about what would happen when the immersion burns out as it’s almost likely to happen. I’d be using maybe 6 immersions. 1 turbine per immersion. That way the system should never break down etc.

can you send me some links to dump resistors or what they are? Do I need 1 per turbine?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's a me! 😂

Mine is grid tied but with an eddi as a diverter, plumbed in as if it was a oil boiler. Only 500L tho. All PV

"Charging" it on night rate or via the stove in the house.

Very good. How’s it working for you? I had an 800litre that I figured too small and came across a new 2,000litre buffer with coil on DoneDeal for 800 so it was a no brainier.

It's working really well, putting 30ish kwh into it a night, (my night rate is 7.9c)

It's a 500L joule, as big as I can fit where I wanted to put it. Plenty to boost the house in the morning and to get the heating started in the evening(in Nov Dec Jan) once Feb hits the solar should be taking it over and by late spring I'll not be needing much of a fire at all

• Advertisement

...12? Mostly big double radiators.

I keep a majority of the house at 18c, weekdays, just the kitchen and hall is boosted to 20c in the morning for an hour or so but a boost to 21 at 5pm- 11pm. Weekends, Hall, Living room and Kitchen are at 20c.

I have a solid fuel stove in the living room (inset) so a lot of the heat from it goes into the water. It doesn't go out during the winter.

This is a 24 hr output of the heat "demands" from my tado system

Once a room is up to temperature it shuts off.

I have temperature sensors in the tank, Although not really that well spaced out, the "middle top" is about half way up the tank, with the rest spaced evenly across the the lower half.

I run the output through a mixer valve set to 50c so it just doesnt "blow its load" all at once / also to be able to simulate if could work with a heatpump (eg an ecoforest one, R290, that works a bit better at higher temperatures)

Also have sensors on the pipes in, out, and on the flow out of the mixer. I do intend on putting a bypass on the mixer by using a 2 port valve when the tank is below 50.

As im typing this the top of the tank has just dropped to about 50, you can really see the uptick in demand at 9am!

If i put a flow meter on the system, Id be able to calculate the instantaneous kW of the output/demand and also how much kWh of heat into the tank .

Also when it was basically just the living room heating there now, it was a delta-T of about 10c.

Was doing my stats for December, I put about 700kWh into the tank for heating.

My oil boiler is old, So id say if im lucky 75% efficient? Works out about 90l of oil ive replaced with Night rate electric.

Now once the sun starts to pick up, I'm thinking of doing some automation to boost some rooms when the tank gets hot so the immersions dont cut out during the day.

Great thank you. Where did you get those graphs???

do I need a dump resistor for a small panel (175w)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sorry for going OT.

"If i put a flow meter on the system, Id be able to calculate the instantaneous kW of the output/demand and also how much kWh of heat into the tank ."

Nah, you don't need a flow meter. The way I did it was to just assume that each sensor represented 1/3rd (or 1/4 in my case) of a tank and calculate the potential energy in kW.

Here's how I wrote it in OpenHAB at the time.

// Calculate the energy value in a hot-tank of water.
            // Formula: (Volume in L * 4 * Difference in temperature) / 3412 = Potential energy in kW.
            // This does not take into account the heating method or efficiency - electric, gas, oil, etc,

// My tank is 300L, I have four sensors installed on it, one on the top, one a quarter of the way down and so forward.
            // Hence I assigned an equivalent volume of 75L to each sensor.

if (gHotTankTemperature.state instanceof DecimalType) {

// Run through each sensor and calculate the energy...

valEnergy = (75*4*(FF_HT_01 - ColdTemp)/3412)
                    FF_HotTank_Energy01 = valEnergy
                    //logWarn("hotenergy.rules", "FF_HotTank_Energy01=" + FF_HotTank_Energy01 + "valEnergy=" + valEnergy + "FF_HT_01=" + FF_HT_01)

valEnergy = (75*4*(FF_HT_02 - ColdTemp)/3412)
                    FF_HotTank_Energy02 = valEnergy

valEnergy = (75*4*(FF_HT_03 - ColdTemp)/3412)
                    FF_HotTank_Energy03 = valEnergy

valEnergy = (75*4*(FF_HT_04 - ColdTemp)/3412)
                    FF_HotTank_Energy04 = valEnergy

// Next, add up the combined four values and commit them to the database.
                    valEnergy = (FF_HotTank_Energy01 + FF_HotTank_Energy02 + FF_HotTank_Energy03 + FF_HotTank_Energy04)
                    postUpdate(FF_HotTank_TotEnergy, valEnergy)

// Now calculate the delta in kW from 5 mins back and update the database. This will give us data for a bar-chart on utilisation, +/-
                    FF_HotTank_5minsBack = (FF_HotTank_TotEnergy.historicState(now.minusMinutes(5), "influxdb").state as DecimalType)
                    valTotEngy = FF_HotTank_TotEnergy.state
                    //logWarn("hotenergy.rules", "valTotEngy=" + valTotEngy)
                    // Calculate the difference and multiply by 1000 to convery from kW to W.
                    valEnergy = ((valTotEngy - FF_HotTank_5minsBack) * 1000)
                    logWarn("hotenergy.rules", "valTotEngy=" + valTotEngy  + " minus FF_HotTank_5minsBack=" + FF_HotTank_5minsBack + "= valEnergy" + valEnergy)
                    postUpdate(FF_HotTank_Delta, valEnergy)
                    }

Then I'd subtract the value from 5 mins previously and use that to calculate a loss over that period. It was usually 7w per 5mins when the tank was around 50 degrees C.

You could improve on this by sub-dividing the tank again and calculating off a pseudo temperature (half-way between one sensor and the lower one), etc.

Home assistant is generating the graphs, everything except the tado is coming in over mqtt.

I'll have a look over it later, but surely wouldn't the energy stored be in kWh as it's energy not power 😉

Oh, Solar doesnt need dump resistors, but.. 175w is a drop in a ocean heating a 2000l tank! lol

No it’s not for the buffer. I have one and I’ll be wiring it in to a DC under sink water heater

ah right, Point still stands, PV doesnt need dump loads, the power just doesnt get generated,

So between my turbine and each DC immersion should I have a dump load on each line?

Yeah Its there as a fail safe. Also it will act as a brake if you need to shut it down due to extremely high winds/Maintenance on the immersion/whatever

• Advertisement

They’re pricy enough no? And where am I actually dumping the load to? I’ll have to buy 6 if I’ve 6 turbines

It's basically a big ass resistor. No idea where to get one though.

No idea on price either unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Why are you looking at 6 turbines rather than just one decent one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TerraSolis

Farnell and Mouser have this stuff - price tends to track the power rating of the resistor

And what do I do with it? Sorry I’m clueless with this end of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Nobody knows everything about everything :-)....but to be fair, I'm not much more clued into this stuff myself having not done it. However, in theory it's pretty straight forward. First of all, you will need some form of "charge controller", which will dictate where the power that the turbine(s) are generating.

AISINILALAO 6000W MPPT Wind Solar Hybrid Charge Controller, Solar 12/24V/48V Automatic Hybrid Controller with Dump Load Resistor,220V : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

The above is just an example, and there maybe "better" options out there - but it will help explain.

You'll need to decide on what type (12v/24v/48v/240v) controller you want to get. I'd probably suggest 24v or 48v with the reason being that those voltages are safer to work with than 240v and 12V requires some fairly heavy duty (thick) cables like car battery jump leads, so 48v is (generally) the one to go with. I'd appreciate others may have thoughts here rather than going on my advice alone.

If you look at the 4th picture there on the amazon page, there's a wiring diagram.

You will only be using a fraction of this. You'll be connecting your buffrr tank into the "load circuit" (the LED lamps above). You won't have solar cells, and the turbine is a Vertical access 3 phase in this case, but that will be dependent on the turbine you have. It may mean that this controller isn't applicable if you bought a different turbine which produces DC.

I think it's relatively simple enough and I'm sure people will give additional advice. One thing to remember that the turbine when it's spinning will be producing electricity, so if your working on this, make sure that you take down the turbine and physically stop the blades from rotating or you could shock yourself, or destroy the turbine as the charge will have no where to go if it's not hooked up.

I know it's a bit daunting, when you first look at this stuff, but I'm pretty sure that you can get this to work. There really isn't that many things to account for. Lots of good videos on youtube too if you search for turbine, charge controller, dump resistor etc.

As championc mentions above, I'd also look at 1 big turbine rather than lots of smaller one (simplifies the matter). You could buy 1 small one, test the concept and then invest in a bigger 2Kw one or something. You'll get better results.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Kris Harbour did a video about this recently.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

why would a 48v cable be smaller than 12v?

the few reasons I think I’d go with multiple as opposed to 1 big one are

it’s cheaper to go multiple

if I’m dependant one and it breaks down I’ve no heat. With multiple, I can have the system work away until I repair the faulty immersion or turbine.

is there such a thing as a charge controller where I could wire multiple turbines into it?

Advertisement