Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referees Are The Problem

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

That would be the right way of dealing with it.

But running onto the field in any game punching a referee particularly an underage game is pretty low

Anyone involved in sport, of any kind that involves a referee is going to have cause to be agitated with poor reffing or adjudication at some point or other. I've played games, I was once sent off for a hitting a player, I wasn't even within 10 yards of the incident, absolutely incensed by it, but at no point do I go an hit the ref.

(Kenny Egan in Bejing and Michael Conlon in boxing) were robbed by corrupt adjudication, ultimately their sporting career at that level cut down.

But, when someone crosses the paint and assaults an official it ruins the credibility of the game, and when the organisation governing it don't take sufficent action, it gets worse.

What gets under my skin the most is almost always in this country its amateur ie junior level or underage sports, where it isn't career changing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If you mean in GAA, google "referee assessors". It could be a good idea, but finding enough bodies to do it would surely be a problem. They would need to keep themselves fully updated with the ever changing rules. So current or ex referees? Do you want assessors in every game at every level?

And without any extra technology to help, then making an assessment from the stands or sidelines, would not always be as useful as what the ref sees close up. Especially in one of the many melees which happen. Technology is the answer to a lot of the complaints, because the human eye simply cannot match what cameras can capture and replay at different speeds from different angles. Officials have only one chance to make a call in real time, from whatever distance and viewing angle they are looking.

In soccer I defy anyone here to make the very close offside calls that VAR can do by just looking at the action live or on first view on TV. No "I'd like to see that again". The human eye is not designed to see the exact split second where the ball leaves the kicker's foot, and at the same time judge the position of multiple fast running players. Or even something as apparently simple as judging whether the whole of a football is over a goal line or a sideline. No matter how much training. But saying that training is very important. The officials get 98% of calls correct in the EPL, but they get crucified by the pundits for the small number of errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

After the Ronaldo incident, there was Keane to back him up

And the Jimmy White flipping off referee, there was Ronnie O Sullivan backing him up.

Not a shred of respect from either "professional". And that their peers back them up shows how deluded these people are and how condescending they are to anyone "below" them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Referees have a duty of care in all games they take charge off, regardless of the level or the age profile of the players and their number one duty is to take control of a game and it’s players.

The particular game in question was an adult junior league game played by two teams who are classed as big rivals. All the players know each other and there was plenty of needle over the years between the teams. From the get go in the game the referee didn’t exercise any sort of control - there’s only so many elbows, off the ball stuff and knee high tackles that can be let go before something serious happens. I take it from your reply that you’ve never played sport at any meaningful level because intense rivalries are part of every sport regardless of the age profile or the sport itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I knew someone who did refereeing a few years ago. Just small local team stuff. Some kids and some adults. Mixture.

He gave it up as he got threatened a few times and iirc got headbutted the once. Just animals like and its a great example of how people are pric*s. You're a good man when you're dishing out a deserved action against the other team. Second you do it to their team, even when deserved, you're a prick. Such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You seem nice, probably never cautioned in a game either .....................................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

And you wouldnt have the balls to stand in the middle with a whistle...... Most people on here wouldnt....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Managers, players and supporters not knowing the rules is the issue.

Another major problem is teams and managers who are getting paid always needing a scape goat to deflect their own limitations and short comings.

The problem is very rarely the referee.

in most leagues Refs are assessed by ex/retired referees.

And the younger refs that would be seen as having the ability to go up through the divisions and maybe to the League of Ireland would have regular assessments, and the FAI run a School of Excellence for those that are good enough to officiate at LoI level.

And once you are at that level, theres assessors at every game , if you get a mark below 6 - you are off the panel for that months games.

So refs are accountable for their decisions. (at higher levels anyway)

But refs are so scarce now due to the crazy parents on the sideline, that they cant really afford to lose any, so your 'stuck' with the poorer/weaker refs...

• Advertisement

No...No it wasnt.

It was explained to you.... You just werent listening ...

Advertisement