Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referees Are The Problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Those damn refs getting €40 a match in the GAA

Pure in it for the money so they are 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Because most of them have real life jobs like safety officers etc and use refereeing to validate themselves.

They also never got picked to play on sports teams at school.

This is their own little power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

And you were ok with the lads giving up football just because of these two, admittedly stupid, incidents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's a bit of a cart before the horse in this conversation really. It's hard review referees at every level.

There are different levels of referee in every sport and the standards expected of them should differ.

Referees don't go out to be controversial or do a poor job. But there are all types of pressures on them. Lots more people would want to ref if that pressure wasnt there. But right now certain people have zero respect for referees and it is these people that reduce the amount of people wanting to be referees.

Sports are already suffering in the country because of a lack of referees. Refs should be encouraged and and abuse towards them should be severely punished. Perceived bad decisions or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

If it was just these incidents then it wouldnt be an issue but sadly I could fill up pages with incidents that left the players, managers and parents scratching their heads thinking why did we bother.

There was one team in one of my sons league that managed to win EVERY home game but lost every away game. It got to the point that other teams just stopped bothering going to play them at home.

When credibility of fairness gets watered down its quickly becomes a losing battle!

Does scutinizing of referee's happen? genuine question. Because near on 10 years of going to soccer matches and never once seen someone that was there to observe a ref. Maybe there is..I honestly dont know.

Violence against refs (or anyone for that matter) is abhorrent.

In my first post I mentioned a match where my sons manager withdrew the team after 10 mins because the lads were getting kicked up and down the pitch by the opposing team with no reaction form the ref.

The manager felt he had a duty of care to the kids so bit the bullet.

Do refs have a duty of care to some extent?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. They do have a duty of care.

Either way, as you say assaulting sports officials is abhorrent, as well as a criminal matter…

Good ,glad to hear that they have a duty of care.

When the lads manager reported the above incident the club was fined.

No mention of the referee's report nor was the manager asked wtf happened.

Referee's MUST be protected at all costs but must not be infallible.

Its all I am going to say on it and thankfully I dont have to go to games anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’ve seen some bad referees over the years, ones that go out of their way to rile up players which has lead to serious incidents taking place. One incident that comes to mind is a referee letting repeated bad tackles go until finally all hell broke loose. Every player, sub and coach got involved in a dangerous row that lasted about 15 mins. The referee called the guards and then legged it to his car and drove off. He caused the whole thing and then disappeared. It’s funny now looking back on it but a couple of lads got absolutely battered and there was holy war over it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

So it's the referee's fault those people are animals and can't control themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

145 x 90 meter pitch. 30 players…. Just one referee, 2 linesmen… fellas now too running onto the pitch with drinks, advice, attention ad nauseam and winding up opposition too. players even at club level clearly have the speed, fitness and sharpness akin to professional athletes….quality of refereeing is leaving something to be desired yes, but they need help, to relate their performances to the speed of the modern game… second ref I say. Each responsible for one half…. A lot more off the ball stuff will be caught and the overall quality of decision making and officiating will improve….

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Where are they going to get double the number of referees from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fair question.. but if they can get four empires two referees might not be impossible, difficult, probably initially, but impossible no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The only people responsible for what has happened to the referees are the people who attacked and most certainly NOT THE REFEREE. I can't believe there are people trying to offer excuses for this. Shame on all of ye.

There is no excuse for it and certainly not the decisions by A REFEREE DURING A GAME!!!!! Must we say predomitely GAA and underage games.

Now if we want to talk about the level of referring in games then certainly yes there is a conversation it but it is certainly should not to be tied do these acts of thuggery.

By games I hear from friends who have kids in other sports it I'd a problem too and it seems down to the pool of referees and training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

What you're forgetting is that there are also millions of examples of referees getting beaten up for decisions they made that were actually correct. In GAA there's just a culture of taking your frustration out on the ref and it's socially acceptable. it needs to change. Your Donald Trump type argument doesn't help. Have you ever wondered why rugby players have the most respect for the referee?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When I watch a game I watch a referee's performance. I am not worried if he makes mistakes. What I look for is that he is consistent. If he makes mistakes as long as they are consistent to both sides I do not really care

Too many supporters only see the mistake against there own team be it in any field sport. I watched about twenty matches this year and in only one did I think the ref was not consistent.

Our team drew the match. I met a neutral after the match and his remark was ''the ref was not harsh on them'' as in the opposing team. However in his mitigation our team has a lot of young lads and we play at a fast pace and he was in his late fifties/early sixties and struggled to keep up.with the pace of our game.

The amazing thing was at the end of the game he gave us a free that drew the game. The opposing team players and management lost the rag. It was the only time he was consistent throughout the match. He gave the exact same free against us 5 minutes previously. In neither occasion was it a free as the player with the ball was not allowed to straighten up.

When you watch a game just see if the ref is consistent not if he is making mistakes. As a person who was involved in coaching I always made a point of thanking a ref after a game no matter his performance.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Football has too many scumbags involved in it.

The GAA is worse, because the savages that are involved in it aren't fully developed homosapiens. Another 5000 years should get them up to soccer scumbag level. GAA people don't "follow" GAA, it's their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I asked the same question about is there any scrutinizing of refs on the other thread and it was constantly shut down.

I vaguely remember someone at a match once officially watching the refs performance but I haven't a clue what the actual process is. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Morris Garren

I'm casually interested in stories of extremely bad refereeing decisions that have occurred and why people boil over when these things happen. Remember Michael Conlan? Lots of sports- maybe all of them- have their own peculiar controversies. Some examples from times past can be really baffling and outrageous.

This isn't exclusively about GAA but funnily enough there is a typically defensive air about some people when the topic is raised i.e. lots of furrowed brows and hand wringing, but carry on as before etc etc till the next time has been the way of things it appears. Personally, the corruption in soccer and the problems with gambling and dodgy refs is probably more concerning at a global level than an incompetent amateur volunteer getting things very wrong in the local Under 15s. Or an Olympic athlete getting shafted in a boxing ring. If referees get dogs abuse for being incompetent and corrupt in these circumstances, then the anger is justified. It is the refs fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I think Sore losers are actually the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya I see you have a lot to contribute to the discussion. If you had a second brain cell you would be dangerous.

I guess from your name you are a rugby follower. This is where a bunch of overweight men waddle around bashing into each other.

You get five points and a sort of free for a wide ball. Then you get three points for a free. You have to throw the stupid ball backwards to go forwards. Half the game is spend waddling from scrum to lineout. Then after the game the drunken players try to find some young one to gang bang. FFS even the so called international/provincial players are incapable of shag some young one by themselves.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

Jesus f. Christ lads, I can't believe some of the nonsense on here.

Firstly, mistakes will happen and should be tolerated. When did you last see a freetaker getting assaulted for missing a 21 yard free, or a GK for losing the ball in the sun and giving away a soft goal?

Secondly, the best referees should be reffing the highest standard games (arguably, this is already the case, but with a low population). The more referees we have in the game, the better standards will get. The longer this culture of abuse carried on, the less good refs we will have.

Any hint of corruption, lifetime ban from GAA. Obviously. Constant poor performers be used sparingly. Again, the more refs we have, the less we rely on poor quality.

Lads justifying assaults on the officials need to have a long look at themselves. Clowns.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Do you think Axel Foley is more famous as a rugby player??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Made a complete bollocks out of himself. Delicious

Getting so worked up over a sport. Ultimately proves my point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

We had a similar experience. Team withdrawn after ref allowing a free reign by the opposing team. Bad refs are the minority though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As i said on the other thread the solution to the problem is a holistic one. The club, players, parents, and officials have a part to play. just as there are bad eggs on the sidelines and on the field there are also bad referees too. All referees should be properly trained and have to undergo regular checks. Nothing warrants violence though and offenders should be properly punished. None of these stupid appeals either.

Advertisement