Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to power a dehumidifier in bathroom

Options
  • 15-10-2022 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi. I am living close to the coast and have a house with a small shower room that's often (and long!) Used. After running in trouble with mould I installed a extractor fan, mould got less, but only since using a small portable electrical dehumidifier the problem got away. Since there is no plug in bathroom I use a extension cord, but I would like a more permanent solution. Are there dehumidifiers that can be permanently installed, or any other ways to power a dehumidifier in the bathroom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Good question and it's a bit of a paradox in Ireland with the damp and humidity that we have that there isn't a better solution for this.

This was well discussed in a thread from 2018, but the regulations may have changed since then.

I hope this helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you could consider upgrading your extractor fan, get one with a humidity sensor so it runs automatically when the level is too high. This could easily be a case where the fan is not powerful enough or is being switched off too early. Xpelair are a brand with models with a built in humidity sensor, if your current fan has a live, neutral, earth and permanent live it would require no extra cabling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

I' not an electrician but as an observer it's interesting to note that you are allowed to have a 240v socket (with appropriate IP) outdoors in the elements and down near ground level but something similar is not allowed in a bathroom. Surely a socket (IP) at high level with it's own dedicated RCBO / RCD /ELCB type protection should be deemed safe in bathroom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

are wall mounted dehumidifiers like above that are permanently wired allowed in bathrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

I may be wrong here but I understood the safety concern was with respect to the appliance/ device one could potentially use in the bathroom if a socket was installed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement