Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking younger than you are

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I was one of those that always got checked in every possible situation where an ID is required. Two classics from my late 20s are: Walking into an off licence in the middle of the day and getting IDed by the security guard. I was making no attempt to buy anything.

Getting asked my age by the attendant on a flight before she would serve me. I've never heard of anyone before or since having had that happen.

I'm mid 30s now and it's been a while since I've been IDed...so yes age will catch up with you eventually. Either that or I've become incredibly boring and no longer do fun things that require an ID!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I would just shrug it off OP. First world problems and all that!

I used to be in the same boat, was asked for ID in supermarkets (less so pubs) until late 20s - everybody thinking I was at least 10 years younger than my age in work etc. I had my son at 19 so when I would mention I had a kid they would look at me like jeez you must have been pregnant at 12.

I know everybody is different but I found it either amusing or a compliment - never bothersome. I miss it actually now that time has caught up with me and I look my age.

It happens here too but it does not bother us much at all. The younger of my GFs is now 33. Recently she was in the UK with my daughter (12) both wearing caps and standing rather than sitting on the train. They were planning to buy tickets on the train. When the ticket guy came along he attempted to charge them both the under 16 rate.

She is well used to it though. She has always looked significantly younger than she is. But to my knowledge it has never once bothered her. As Derren Brown once said: The funny thing about worrying about what other people think about you - is how infrequently they actually do. We often worry what other people are thinking about us when in fact they are probably almost never thinking about us at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Good to hear you are not losing sleep over this "problem".

Someone suggested growing a beard. Lol! But maybe you could do some female versions of growing a beard e.g. change your hairstyle or your style of clothes or handbag? Or wear heels? Do you wear much makeup? Sometimes women who don't wear make up look much younger compared to when they do occasionally wear make up. If this is you, wear more makeup more regularly.

Head up, shoulders back and own that young face of yours! Body language goes a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yeah but in fairness it would be unprofessional behaviour from a bouncer. You can’t tell age by looks. Any bouncer that tries is letting in underage customers. Ask everyone or no one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Oddly enough I was almost always in business wear in all the most memorable situations. Of course there were dozens of situations where I wore whatever when buying a drink. I would often have a proper blow dry done by a hairdresser. Almost never leave the house without make up of some sort. Even when they ask you to pay and you open the damn wallet how many teenagers would have a multiple of different cards ?? Or how many kids would spend 150e at aldi on all other stuff just to buy a drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You are lucky you look young this problem will take care of itself ,I heard story's of old people in the USA ,they are asked for I'd to buy beer ,even though they are obviously over 21

In time you will look older .this may be a female problem with some women it's very hard to tell what age they are some women can look older depending what makeup clothes they wear

Most fashion depends on selling a look that makes you look young and trendy

It's hardly an insult for a woman of say 25 to be mistaken for an 18 year old especially if she is not tall

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lisetrickel

It's normal, okay? Age and looks are incompatible because you never know how old the person in front of you is

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Ask your mother!! I'd say the missus wasn't impressed :)

Advertisement