Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Italian government with fascist roots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Ah kk. I wonder do they do the old We were immigrants in the USA in Italy like every thread on boards Mentions the Irish were.... 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Isn’t that called being a fascist and ultra maga nowadays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Yes they hate when people leave the club. it's like hotel california you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, you're just spouting both sides bollox.

They're fascists, plain and simple. They've even had Mussolini's grandchildren run under them. No amount of whataboutery changes this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Would they be his pro LGBT granddaughters?

Or is there other ones that you can show us examples of their fascist views?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Don't be silly, Fascism is carried in the genes. I'm sure this chap will be along with his calipers to show that the similariies between Il Duces skull and those of his progeny are a guarantee that Italy will soon invade Abyssinia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not going along with neo liberalism is now called fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

In case you missed it, RTE need to remind you that Viktor Orban sent a message of congratulations to Meloni. So Meloni=Orban.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

you quote a man who is a new york times columnist , hardly unbiased especially given his obsession with trump (so much some politico claims he is radicalised on the issue)

he isn't rational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

as @Danzy rightly said above, anybody who rejects neo liberalism is now fascist.

the women believes in traditional family values and Italy (rather than globalism and EU structure) and (oddly for a fascist) in Israel yet you think that is akin to il Duce or nazism sweeping Europe again.

I get it , your posts are always very left - you don't like her and what she stands for and thats fine but your accusations are insane.

If you believe what you post I think you've lost your mind. fascists everywhere :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually Mussolini wasn't close to Hitler on the whole "master race", anti semitism thing. Quite the opposite and publicly too. He considered it non scientific nonsense, his military refused to help deport Italian Jews to camps and he got static from the German nazis about it. Mussolini reserved his racism for Africans where he was pretty clear about it.

EDIT and caveat, he wasn't following the German doctrine until later on when he needed their support and then rowed in behind it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'll believe it when I see proof. Rolleyes and strawmen do not make not a convincing argument.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Italian governments have the shelf life of a packet of ham, they also have notoriously bad politicians.

The current flavour of the week was anti EU until some adult pointed out they need 200 billion in recovery funds.

Nothing like lots of digits to temper the hubris.

She can still bleet on that gays are bad though, yawn.

Doubt anyone will remember her name in 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭rogber

Italy is a corrupt mess of a country living off past glories and no government there lasts very long. I wouldn't worry too much about her, the country will go centrist or centre left again when she fails to deliver on her promises

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, they change governments with changes in the weather. It's a national sport and it doesn't really matter what wing the governiing party are. If her and her party have any hope of staying in power, they'll have to fix a lot of problems they promised to, or it'll be someone new in power. They're wedded to the EU, like it or not, so that's a non starter. Italy's problems are many and complex, so barring minor miracles they'll not be in power for long.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Has anyone asked why she was voted in, it's all well and good condemning Italians about voting in a "a far right party" but why did the people make that decision

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The same reason they all get voted in over there, populous promises they have no chance of fulfilling.

Government collapses rinse and repeat.

70 governments in 77 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Why are they ripping down the EU flag? Back in 2011, the EU took out Berlusconi, then the dodgy banks scandal. Monti & Draghi are both regarded as the EUs men. This is partly about nationalism in the face of the EU and a weak German state. German industry is being brought to its knees by a combination of lockdowns followed by inflation and its dependence on Russian gas. Draghi is the author of the negative interest rates policy that the ECB followed for a long time, and the hollowing out of the bond market for EU sovereign debt.

The Plot to Topple Berlusconi (2014)

This is not the first such revelation. Lorenzo Bini-Smaghi, Italy’s former member on the European Central Banks’s executive board, suggested in his book last summer that the move to topple Berlusconi (and replace him with ex-EU commissioner Mario Monti) was decided after he began threatening a return to the country’s national currency, the Lira, in meetings with EU leaders.

And Monti himself confirmed in an interview with Financial Times in February that he was at the centre of a secret plan to replace Berlusconi months before he was deposed. A plan run by Giorgio Napolitano, who as the country’s President is essentially ‘Europe”s – as well as America’s – man in Rome.

source

Note that Mario Monti takes in that clip care to frame them, not as center right, but as right wing. That narrative was parroted by RTE six-one news yesterday evening. Instead of simply reporting that elections had taken place, the RTE person interviewing Paddy Agnew was keen to emphasize the "far right" narrative several times during the interview.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Sure just chuck them into the naughty corner, and wag our collective western finger at them disparagingly until they start playing nice...

It's worked like a charm with all the other "bad boy" nations in the world, why change strategy now!? 😉

If Italy were a boards poster, they'd probably get banned from their own thread for holding the "wrong sort of opinions".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Meloni is seen as soft on the Jewish question by many on the left.

Probably her greatest sin in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Democracy is great until people vote for parties and people you dont like. Suck it up buttercup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

From a glance at her Wikipedia page, she strikes me as someone who is anti-progressive and that would be what concerns me. Anti-abortion, anti-euthanasia, 'homophobia doesn't exist in Italy' according to her. That's great to know yet she says she wouldn't want to have a gay child and is the typical type that complains about homosexual visibility. She also wants to restrict the rights of homosexuals. What do you call that behaviour then? In most places, some LGBT positions have been supported by traditional consevative parties (the much mentioned FG and even the Tories) so this is something that shows that FDI are different in that asoect.

She is 'anti-gender' so men are men and women are women, end of story, in her eyes I guess. Seems to be into conspiracy theories about Covid and the Great Replacement as well.

While I think there is a place for a discussion about immigration, she seems to go straight to emotive points for her argument.

She also doesn't seem to have a problem with Berlusconi bringing in laws that protect him from criminal investigation.

For someone who isn't a fascist, she certainly doesn't mind associating with them and using their symbols and slogans. It only seems when they get too overt that she decides to distance herself, though she has praised Mussolini herself. She is supposed to have an issue with parts of modern Croatia being what was once Italian territory. That sounds familiar at the moment.

For those who don't think she's a fascist, what is your definition of fascism?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

It's a natural cycle. Trying to artificially control it, is rather pointless in the long run.

And as Italy has discovered to it's great cost, the most common measures used typically bring about massive social upheaval and eventually political chaos.

For those who don't think she's a fascist, what is your definition of fascism?

Anyone who is not woke, leaving in fear of climate change, and agrees with a one-world government with the UN as the leader, is now a fascist.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

How about a serious answer?

If we know what you define fascism.as then we can see why you don't believe she is one.

This nonsense joke definition probably makes 99% of the world fascist. I mean who actually wants the UN to run the world as a single government?

The term is thrown about so often as part of political mud slinging that its context means anyone you don't like rather than Musolinis original ideas, or Churchills admiration of Mussolini (pre war).

Quite the opposite.

You are describing her as fascist as a way to completely dismiss all discussion of her policies. Because who's going to discuss fascist policies?

It's a well-worn strategy by some on the left to dismiss anyone who disagrees with them as Neo-Nazi fascists.

It's beyond a joke at this stage. It's laughable.

In fairness to her, I wouldn't particularly want to have a gay child either, but if one did come along, I'm sure that I'd adjust.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to have a Man U supporting child either - and I suspect that adjusting to that would be a lot harder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

That historian mentions 'too many examples in history' of parties bring secretly anti-Semitic but then doesn't give any.

Did Mussolini say he had no personal or political animus against Jews? That could be taken from it but it isn't clear from my reading.

Because even casual readers of history will know that most far right parties in the 1920s and '30s said exactly what they meant and did not pretend to be neutral or Pro-Jewish.

For instance the Nazis did not claim to have no animus against Jews. Nor did anti-Dreyfusards in France. Nor did the Polish right-wing. So who did?

Advertisement