Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoLoud Cash Machine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

They don’t tend to do it on bank holiday weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭SimpleDimple

They never replied to my email asking how many people enter each day

To let you know even roughly what chance you have of winning. Lotto and even scratch cards give you the odds, as do most raffles you enter into. This €2.50/text with no idea of how much chance you have of winning or how much of the ‘pot’ goes towards the prize is sneaky and underhanded by the organisers.

But they’re a business. You wouldn’t email your local coffee shop asking how much coffee they sell.

What Bauer are selling is the chance to win. I’m almost certain Ryanair don’t disclose the chance of winning with their scratch cards either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Openness and transparency is really important when it comes to something like this. If they don’t start providing more information about probability etc. I have a feeling it will become a problem in the future.

Also, the constant promotion of it must be irritating for regular listeners who have no interest in participating. The odd time I listen to Spin the presenter usually talks about it for 2 minutes after the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

Irritating is an understatement. Don't know what it is about the cash machine but I find it to be the most annoying thing on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I entered it once one day, for the craic. It was a round number, it was guaranteed to be won that day and I was going to be beside the phone all day so I said I'd give it a shot. Didn't win, heh, but that was grand and for me, that was the end of that.

However ... the minute I sent the text, this is what I got in response:

"1 entry confirmed, Unlock more entries! Reply PLAY (EUR2.50) & add 2 more entries for the price of 1! Ends 3pm" Included in this message was the option to opt out of getting the text too.

I didn't bother opting out and just ignored it. But every day until I texted STOP (which also cost me money) they would message me with the cash machine amount and prompts to text them to enter.

The cash machine is WAY MORE insidious than the lottery. I don't have a gambling addiction but it made me very sympathetic to those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

All true. And never mind whether or not this kind of gambling is a reasonable use of a licensed public resource.

The minister for justice is getting a lot of criticism for her focus on the hate speech bill, as opposed to dealing with other issues like garda retention and street crime. But, there are serious gambling related issues like this one, and others like "loot boxes" in online gaming targeted at children that surely deserve a higher priority.

It seems Ryanair refuses to give that info too but I don’t remember saying they were the bastion of integrity and their policy should be followed.

I do think though that with the massive reach, and constant selling of this draw, they could be more up front with it. Who hasn’t sent in one text, gotten the reply letting you know the next text gets you 2 entries, and sent it without really stopping to think.

There’s a serious and silent problem with gambling now that even the betting companies have to run ads telling you to stop when it gets too much, but I don’t see anything from Bauer media telling you to tap the brakes if you’re spending money on this every day. Quite the opposite in that they start to text you that day’s sum on the cash machine to tempt you back in. And they also charge you for those texts as the icing on top! It’s only 8c but still!

• Advertisement

In fairness it says in their terms and conditions you’re limited to 12 entries (€30) per week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Going by what people said earlier in the thread, it doesn't cost anything to text STOP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm looking back on the message thread in my phone now. You are right - it's not the 2.50charge I thought it was to reply STOP. But, it's not free. It is the standard network rate though, so yeah they aren't making money off it. The free messages are the ones they send you back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

An item on problem gambling on Sean Moncrieff show last week, was a good segment. The only issue, it was shoe horned in between many mentions of the cash machine. The irony. They came back from the break after the interview and did the cash machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

they said the 'cash machine' paid out €150000 last week.

any transparency of the amount of money they are taking in VS paying out ?

Serious volumes of money involved at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

They had someone on Newstalk giving out about it again during a gambling addiction segment. They seem to have no problem with people pointing that out how it's pervasive but then doing absolutely nothing about it

I would imagine they could be taking in double what they are paying out. €75000 per week. no wonder they are doing nothing about it. But without actual figures it's just a guessing game.

I only entered twice near the start of it, but used to get texted the amount every day even if I was not entered. You did not even have to listen to the radio. They were giving you the answer to get you to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

Suppose the Christmas cash machine will be starting soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Getting so fed up of the cash machine. Entered it a few times at the start but now I would not bother my a**e as the chances of winning are slim to none even with the smaller amounts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Nice haul before Christmas.

I see there is a Facebook page where people post the daily amount too lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The Cash Machine is a symptom of what happens to radio when one organisation most of the stations.

Today FM/Newstalk etc. would not have the listenership on their own to command the sorts of prizes that are being offered. But combining the listenership leads to more engagement, which leads to bigger prizes, which in leads to more engagement, and so on.

It's a quick way for an overarching corporate entity (Bauer) to use their size and influence to quick milk their stations for profit.

Big prizes also have the knock-on effect of driving listenership to Bauer's stations, and away from the independent stations - devaluing the independent stations and making them more susceptible to purchase.

People absolutely fall for it, and it's killing the Irish radio. It's depressing.

No way to find out. I’ve emailed them a few times but gotten nothing back. There’s no transparency to the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why should there be transparency? There almost never is with any competition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Download their financials?

5 million paid out so far this year.

So probably that taken in aswell.

The lotto for example literally tells you on their website what your chances are of winning on every game they do. This raffle gives no indication of how many entries there are every day, so even though the prize on a roll over week might get up to €50k there’s no way of knowing if your chances are 1/10,000, 1/50,000, 1/100,000 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I assume that iRadio will also be plugging the Cash Machine, now that Bauer Media have completed the acquisition of iRadio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

150,000 big ones

Entered 8 times there.

• Advertisement

Pat Kenny thanks you for parting with your money to keep him in the lifestyle he is accustomed to

Advertisement