Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GoLoud Cash Machine

Comments

Incidentally when Spin1038 first launched in 2002, they claimed their target market was 13/24 yos (50% of that audience wouldn't be allowed to gamble) However a quick look at their website and I see that their claimed target market these days is simply "20 somethings".

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Going off topic for a second here but is there a way to see what requirements are set out in a license for each station? So many stations have veered (eg Sunshine’s music policy) that it would be interesting to see if stations are holding up their promises. Like is it in Spin 1038’s license agreement to target 13-24? It would be interesting to know.

I saw a video of the cash machine winner today though and I was very happy for her. Whatever about the regular promotion of the competition across stations, you can’t argue that it’s not great radio hearing a call like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t think it makes a difference, what young people listen to the radio anymore anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Kids would hear it in cars. I'm sure lots of people also have radios on at home, including me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Bauer must be following this thread, the call went to voicemail today 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

but thats not targeting an audience.

in the 20 years since spin said that its target audience was 13-24 'radio listening' has changed immensely, as had tv viewing.

Ive 5 kids, ranging from 28 to 14, i can honestly tell you that none of them would be in anyway regular radio listeners. during car journeys its either spotify or podcasts. For the younger ones they couldnt even tell you the names of five stations available in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Stopped listening to radio pretty much in recent years but even the odd bit I tune into lately it's wall to wall Cash Machine.....the promo for it gets more prominence than news and weather ffs.

It's a glorified Ponzi scheme....a tiny amount of "contestants" will win big but large swathes of people be struggling with their phone bills at the end of the month I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 32,936 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fools and their money.

I have more or less stopped listening to today fm now. The amount of talking done about the CM is out of control. Incessant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Funny how they call it the 98FM cash machine when it is cross station.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They don't get anywhere close to €2 a text to begin with, and it will be far more than 10% taken as profit from what they do take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The other Bauer Media owned stations are doing that too. Newstalk use a voiceover announcing "the Newstalk Cash Machine". Barry (Dunne) is sometimes mentioned on Newstalk but they never reference the fact that he is on 98FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I emailed and asked this but never got a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muller1991

I enter the odd time, I wouldn't like my face plastered on their social media if I won it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Matt Cooper seems to be the only one I have heard who does not seem mad keen on it when he is talking about it/ plugging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’m not being snarky. Does Matt ever sound keen on anything? 🤣 I’ve genuinely never heard him sound overly enthusiastic on anything

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Haha, well there is that as well. But I do think he is well aware of the oxymoron that this issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I question that idea that the competition would fall apart if contestants knew what the odds really were. Lotto players know what the odds are, and they are very poor on paper, but it doesn't stop people playing. What you don't know with the Lotto is how many other people have the same numbers as you, but with the big prizes you're still going to win a lot of money if you have the numbers. And with match 3 or 4, the prize levels are fairly consistent. And the lottery publishes annual sales figures as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Cash machine was replaced by a €2 a text competition for a holiday over the long weekend.

I think I also heard that there is only one prize this week, 75k on Friday. This will probably be the way they will operate it from now on as maybe too much was being won and they weren't making as much out of it as anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

They do the weekly draw on bank holiday weeks for some reason

• Advertisement

No harm., but todayfm is chock full of competitions.

It's a pain to listen to.

Quizzes for trips to this hotel, that hotel, so many shows feature a competition of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Unlikely, I suspect the amount avaialbe to win is derived from the previous amount they earned on winnings. Its the only logical way to operate it. I suspect its made a tonne of money for them.

Quite possible it will move to a once a week draw for bigger cash one day. It sounds bigger if they give away 120k on Friday as opposed to 20k a day.

It's not a new business model they are using, as others have mentioned Bauer stations in the UK have done similar.

So whatever worked for them before, they'll just copy it for ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I think they will exploit the law to the full extent wherever they happen to be. I think I mentioned before the Bauer stations have an online free entry procedure in the UK. They are probably doing that to avoid being regulated as a lottery. Even that limitation doesn't apply here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Another winner today...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

They played the wrong tape today. They played yesterdays cash machine. I'd actually thought it was live as the presenters talk over it and lead into it....

So when do they call somone?? 3.15pm?

And then play it at 3.35pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I spotted that immediately today when Barry said about it being a Monday roll-over as it was what he had said yesterday. Turns out it was actually won and they played the call a bit later. The call is not live as Barry wouldn't be able to interact with presenters across multiple stations, plus I'd say they have to get quite a bit of detail from the winner and go through terms etc and would want that done before it goes public.

I'd say each station/presenter would have canned "thank you" messages that they play on each station to make it look like an interaction. I reckon the call is placed by about 3:10PM. One winner a couple of weeks back said she had only entered about 10 minutes before she got the call, and since it closes at 3PM it couldn't have been much more than about 3:10.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Pat Kenny is definitely not keen on The Cash Machine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭raclle

When this first came out I used to enter it religiously but now I'll only enter if its a huge amount. I presume most people have copped on its just as hard to win as the lotto and the numbers have dwindled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 matrix mick

I doubt there 10 million playing the cash machine.

Advertisement