Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate's boyfriend wants to use our address for car insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Could it conceivably cause problems for anyone at the address

Insurance has a shared database dunno would issues at the address go on file and affect future applications from the address

That’s the funny bit, you insure your car for a year , you get a quote , then you either pay it or arrange 12 instalments , you get a disk , then that’s it til next quote

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as irrelevant anyway

Could be unknown implications from someone falsifying address such as tax or fukk knows what til u find out later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Would they actually be insured if their information is false? In the case of an accident?

You might say the OP isn't effected, but are addresses blacklisted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

• Advertisement

No, unless you live in certain no go areas which could be deemed as " no fixed abode ". It can be a vicious circle for someone associated with a halting site for example, premiums would be getting a few quid thrown on in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

So false information won't matter? I doubt that if a claim is made.

I never mentioned anything about false information?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CayNero

This is the only thing I was worried about, if someone else was lying, and then because I knew about it and didnt say anything, and I then would be responsible. But it sounds like this is a normal thing here, and I wont get into any trouble, and so I wont worry about it.

Im not going to go into where I live or my sex. Sorry, Dracula.

MV33, I think this is why I felt uncomfortable, because its easy to not know things that arent my business because I just dont get involved. When I do know about things its because I am involved somehow, and so when that thing includes lying, I dont like being a part of the lie. But it sounds like just because he has his insurance here doesnt mean he has the right to move in here or anything else that would actually effect me. So I still dont like it, but thats just a me problem. Im not worried about the people here who keep saying its none of my business, because they are the same people who are keeping asking me for more information and more details. So I dont think theyre very self aware people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rolling boh

op you have nothing to be worried about you have not signed anything to be involved in this to me its no big deal leave the couple themselves to sort out any problems if by any chance something happens .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

I doubt car insurance send monthly letters, unless there is a claim, or failure to pay monthly premium etc. It might be non car insurance.

Personally I would not be worried but you might have gardai turning up for speeding tickets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Any Gardai would be turning up to the car's registered address, not where it's insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

I had a Garda turn up at where my car was insured, not it's registered address.

Anyway, the housemates boyfriend might want proof of address for any number of things unrelated to insurance and didn't want to explain further.

My employer offers health insurance for a "partner" for example, you do not have to be married. All they stipulate is that you must share an address, and needs some "proof" of that. Maybe he doesn't want his nosy parents knowing he got penalty points, which could be on insurance documentation. Any number of reasonable explanations that they don't feel like explaining to OP.

For a long time, I did most of my mileage in one area Dublin, but spent 4 nights a week in Galway. I told the insurance company this, and they said it was the 4 nights in Galway that counted, despite my Dublin mileage.

My post was sent to a third address (my parents house). All fine until one insurance company or broker (I can't remember) didn't have the facility to add three different addresses, and I didn't want post going to either of the other rentals. IIRC, they made a separate note on file, and deleted the address where I told them the car most often use, so my postal address could be put in that database field. All above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

Can he now use this addressed letter as proof of address to open mobile phone accounts, bank accounts , revenue etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Even if he tried that the op has no responsibility if he does surely . He seems to be doing it this way to save a few euro only .

That's the thing like how do you know

Can of worms imo ya don't want anyone using an address unless they live there , my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

If this was OP's property then it would be absolutely his business to know who is using his address. OP is in a rented house I presume. Nonetheless, OP has every right to be concerned. Mail being delivered to former tenants is one thing. Mail being delivered to a bogus tenant is another. By ignoring this, OP is aiding and abetting in insurance fraud. In this case there is probably nothing to be too worried about. If it was drugs being delivered or TV license fines being administered, it might have different consequences.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hmmm.

On the face of it I'd agree that it isn't any of the OP's concern. However The OP has said that they noticed motor insurance letters arriving by post monthly.

I wonder how could the OP say the letters were in relation to motor insurance and then not know who they were from?

Advertisement