Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate's boyfriend wants to use our address for car insurance

Options
  • 23-09-2022 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

As the title says, my housemates bf has started using our address for his car insurance, he lives in a city area and we are more rural. He lives 90 minutes away, and stays overnight a few times a month. Housemate (the gf) didn't tell us until we started getting his insurance mail. It seems its cheaper for him to register his car here.

Should we care? I don't own a car right now so it doesn't effect me. Hes not here that often so its not really like we have an extra housemate.

But I feel uncomfortable saving his mail for him as though he's living here, not sure why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It's none of your business.

Stay out of it.

If he makes a claim and the insurers can prove he gave a false address he won't get paid.

it is not your problem and don't get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

As the previous poster says, it's the bf's issue not yours, so you needn't be concerned. Although if you're feeling generous you could mention to your housemate that car insurance could well be void if the insured has falsified their address. Seems such a daft thing to do to save a few euro you'd wonder if he realises the implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CayNero

I dont want to be involved.

I sort the mail for the house including returning the mail for old housemates who have moved on so theres no way for me to pretend to not know hes using our address. Just want to be sure keeping his mail here is definitely not going to be a problem for me.

I found out what was happening because the first time I saw mail, I didnt know it was for him (I didnt know his name) so I returned it to sender and my housemate corrected me and told me not to do that anymore for his mail. So I feel uncomfortable knowingly helping someone to lie, and I wish he could just get the mail sent electronically so I wouldnt be involved. But if its not a problem, then its not a problem.

Who is he insured with?

I dont know. I havent looked very closely. It usually arrives each month, so we will have to wait until it comes again. I think it had blue and red on the front. But I think maybe its best I dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭spakman

Don't see how it affects you, so don't be sticking your nose in

so I returned it to sender and my housemate corrected me and told me not to do that anymore for his mail. So I feel uncomfortable knowingly helping someone to lie

Were you not as intrigued in finding out who sent it as you were in micromanaging everyone else's mail? why would they write to him every month, for the craic?

A lot of people have lived in this house over the past years, so we get a lot of old mail from people who dont live here. Its not a big deal for me to write return to sender and put it in the post, and I dont think thats micromanaging. What else do you think we should be doing with old mail, Dracula? Id really like the old mail to stop, because we have to get the mail every day or the mailbox gets filled with other peoples mail who dont live here anymore.

If theres mail for the other people who actually live here, I separate it into piles and put it on the kitchen counter so they can easily collect their mail when they get home. I will stop if it bothers them, but they dont seem to be as touchy as you, Count Dracula.

I dont know why they send him stuff every month, but they do. Maybe its more often, maybe its less, I dont know exactly. But I will do as you insightfully suggest, Dracula, and begin marking it out on my calendar, including the precise details of the sender. Shall I also post it here, since you seem so incensed by not knowing the insurer? For the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine the letter every month is because the insurance is being paid monthly. The letter is also a way for the insurer to check the insured has a connection to the property.

Stuff like this is a well and good until they get a credit card or a loan, not pay, and you have debt collectors show up at your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Hard to see how it’s any of your business or why you should care. Have you no life of your own? Do you have an issue with your housemate? Jealous because she has a boyfriend?

• Advertisement

Debt collectors, I hope not. My friend says that this is to establish residency because once he can say hes been a resident here for 30 days then he could live here and we couldnt kick him out without filing for proper eviction. I dont know if I believe that, I think it would be more complicated than that. But its already been more than 30 days so its too late now anyway, even if that was true. I think he lives with his parents, so its not like his landlord is suddnely going to sell and he has to move quickly. And no one here has mentioned this 30 day residency thing, so I think its not true.

Just as long as its not my fault for participating in his insurance address change, and as long as I dont get in trouble for what ever hes doing, I wont worry about it.

I am still uncomfortable with people saying they live here when they dont, but thats almost definitely because Im insanely jealous of my housemate having a boyfriend. I bet if I could just stop him getting mail here, that would logically lead to her breaking off the relationship entirely and would then resolve my deep seated envy. Its a good thing this message board has the razor sharp detection abilities of YellowLead to help us find the TRUE story behind the threads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's insurance fraud and every policyholder pays for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If your housemate still lives there, then its entirely none of your business. If you're still getting mail for a former housemate's girlfriend, then return the mail as undeliverable.

Or throw the letters away and when they come looking for them, tell them you might have confused it for junkmail

Don't facilitate it and it will stop

We've been living in a house for 10 years and every now and then a previous owner comes looking for letters delivered to us that were addressed to them. For the 1st year or so, we kept his mail. after that, everything went in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,372 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This carry-on probably happens more than people think. I'd say a huge number of people who work in Dublin are probably still using their original home (down the country) adddress for insurance to get lower rates. And the parents go along with the ruse. Even though most of them must know that if there is a big claim and the insurance company discovers that the son or daughter is working in Dublin for the past number of years, they will void the policy.

I assume that you're far too dim to appreciate that some of those witless questions could apply equally to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Don't see any implications for the OP and fair dues to them for sorting any incoming mail and redirecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I heard of a guy who had his new car stolen in Limerick, was insured in the parents homeplace in Mayo, insurance refused to payout when they discovered where he really lived (in Limerick). Don't know how it would effect upon an accident but its the first thing they check for in stolen car cases.

you don’t get monthly mail for insurance regardless of how you pay , well I don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OP, what repercussions do you think this could possibly have for you???

The only person this could come back to bite on the ass is yer man if he has a claim and the insurance company void his policy if/when they find out he doesn't live there.

Stick the letters in with your housemate's post and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

I'd hate to be living with you if something like that bothers you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm not sure they can do that, they might negotiate a reduction but insurance is insurance. A neighbour had a drunk driver hit them, whose insurance was cheaper as he was supposed to be a teetotaller. They tried to wiggle out of it but had to cough up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They will pay third parties but have the right to not pay the policyholder. Furthermore, if they pay a third party then they can recover the costs from the policyholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Why wouldn't they? I thought it was a rather civic thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It unessary hassle. You can be drawn into it. Who the feck knows what's going on. Keep away in my opinion.

So would I.

I was inferring that the op was unable to tell us what ins co was involved despite the fact she was apparently returning mail to them every month.

I found it odd all things considered.

Dracula, I think you need to decide whether its none of my business and I should stay out of it or I should keep closer track of all the mail that comes into the house.

Its obvious to everyone but you that I would notice whether mail is addressed to someone who lives here, and if its not addressed to a resident, then it gets returned.

But perhaps you just find everyday things more confounding than most people. I wish you great luck in your struggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I definitely wouldn't create a new account on boards.ie to start a new thread on the matter, unless I'd absolutely feck all else going on in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

OP. Speak to your housemate. People **** on that it’s none of your business. It is your business when it’s your home and post is arriving addressed to someone who doesn’t live there.

• Advertisement

To be honest Cay I find your micromanaging dilema to be more than compounding and a rather less bit compelling....

Just remember, when you tell 1 lie you will end up having to tell 20 more.

Try to remember that when getting your next insurance quotation?

Country girl are you?

Advertisement