Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrastructure that never happened

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So yes and no. It is indeed common to have multiple routes available at single stops, however what you don't generally get is interlining in the sense of trains going from e.g. The Point to Phibsboro let's say. If you want to get from the end of one tram line to the end of another you invariably have to change tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ballina & Killaloe bridge between Tipperary and Clare (though Ballina likes to imagine they are in the more wealthy town of Killaloe, looking at you fake address Lakeside Hotel 🙄)

So many years ago and maybe longer there was a plan for a new road bridge and the existing bridge would become a cyclist / pedestrian bridge. A super idea which should have happened 30 years ago but in 2023 we have no progress.

Even local Minister Alan Kelly could not push this through.

A bridge, hell get some students from Univerity of Limerick and it will be superb training for them and have someone experienced oversee it. One bridge is hardly the most difficult project ever

When Ireland had no money and Minister Balfour was handing out money for uneconomical infrastructure there was a railway built between Birdhill and Killaloe. But in 2023 we cannot build a road bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭gjim

Construction of this new bridge (about 1km south of the existing one) and bypass - https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/capital-projects/roads-and-bridges/killaloe-bypass-shannon-bridge-crossing/ - is well underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

And that would have increased capacity, how? Garret didn't want DART, he tried to scupper Luas. How he is thought of as 'rail enthusiast' in any way beats me. A more personable Sean Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Putting the Luas underground would have got us a German style Stadtbahn system (see Dusseldorf in particular for a city where this is really well done).

Being able to whip along at 70kph underground with no junctions or pedestrians to dodge it would have cut a huge chunk of time off journeys and massively improved reliability

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In fairness if they had cut and covered the Luas red line under abbey street, it would have solved a variety of problems with the line and other infrastructure.

The maximum capacity of the red line is seriously constrained to the max 40meter long trams due to the distance between road junctions on Abbey Street.

Had they made it a tunnel, they could easily have had 55m trams like the Green line or even longer Metro type vehicles.

Also it would have avoided the issues with the junction at O’Connell St and have had a much faster journey time.

You could then use Abbey Street as Reuther a cycling route or bus only route.

It's common on tram networks in my experience (Dublin doesn't really have a "network" - just two lines that intersect), much less so on metro systems. Recently I used trams (and buses) in Amsterdam and Zurich which both have dense tram networks and most stops seemed to offer you the choice of more than one route.

I know what you mean, I’ve been in plenty of cities like that, in particular all over Eastern Europe. The difference however is that in general they are using much smaller trams. Often the trams aren’t much larger than a bus, so it is more like a bus network with trams going here there and everywhere.

The green line trams are some of the longest and highest capacity trams in the world. The green line is more approaching Metro like operation than these sort of tram networks.

Even in those cities, when they start putting really long modern trams on, they tend to have far less interlining on those routes and run those as more like core fixed routes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for us to have an extensive tram network like these cities. Basically they have trams instead of buses. But I don’t think the interlining model is suitable for how our Luas system is designed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not necessarily so.

If the traffic warrants it, the trams would be distributed accordingly. So SSG to Heuston might be every 15 mins, while SSG to the point might be every half hour. All other trams to Parnell/Broadstone - for example. At busy mornings, Heuston to SSG might be more frequent that at say midday,

The benefit of a network is it makes routine adjustments possible by reacting to traffic.

Or just get people to change trams. Which is how most (almost all?) networks work in reality. It's easier for planning and frankly easier for the user.

They also don't do interlining in the way being suggested. They also have end-to-end routes, they just share track for portions of the route. You invariably still need to change trams, you can just do so on the same platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The Munich U-Bahn has an interesting variation, in that it’s mostly three trunk lines with branches, but there are also a few strategic interlined segments that are very short - the sections where lines "cross" are usually only common for one or two stations before diverging again. Follow the path of U2 (dark red) on the map below to see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Jesus, it would have taken you 10 seconds to look that one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Much less time than typing that post 🤣

The Granada "Metro" are buses that run 100% on bus lanes outside the city centre and then go underground for the central stops.

Advertisement