Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrastructure that never happened

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The article is packed full of howlers.

"The infrastructure is good with two national roads (N5 and N17)"

Both of those are amongst the worst national roads in the country, especially in 2000 when the article was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

...and one minute they're saying the middle of Connemara, the next it's beside Knock Airport?!?!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Looked up William A. Thomas. He's into the Virgin Mary now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That video is 56 mins long.

What makes you think he wasn't big into that all along? 😉

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure how this will load when the vanilla software shrinks the images. will try one anyway - an 'in dublin' article from november 1987, an interview with frank mcdonald who was credited as being a major factor in abandonment of plans for a dual carriageway through the liberties.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

parts 2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,260 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What is most interesting about that article is that McDonald opposed the move of UCD to Belfield, something that has been a huge success, and UCD would never have become the institution that it is without that move. He opposed a lot of bad things, but also a lot of good things.

As he has got older and crustier, his opposition to progress and modernisation has become clearer and clearer.

Yeah that opposition to the UCD move was just mad. Clearly he and others envisioned university education remaining the sole preseve of a tiny elite.

Also a dual carriageway was built down Clanbrassil Street, maybe not on the scale originally planned but it was built. It's hard to imagine how anyone can think it's possible to run a functional bus service through a medieval street structure.

But didn't he oppose Luas too? 🤡 he's currently spouting all sorts of nonsense about how Metrolink will somehow 'destroy' O'Connell Street, I didn't realise the empty shell of the Carlton cinema and the large site next to it empty for 50 years are such assets to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm going to quote myself from a different thread regarding Frank...

Also a dual carriageway was built down Clanbrassil Street, maybe not on the scale originally planned but it was built.

interestingly, this was done much later than i would have guessed; i thought it was done some time in the 70s, but apparently it happened in 1989.

anyway, i've met a few campaigners in various fields in my time (just a few, probably not a lot more than most). quite a lot of them are ornery, and it's quite possible that that orneriness was required for them to get (positive things) done; where a more 'sensible' person wouldn't have had the patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,260 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"This group is in favour of an 88 foot, four-lane road with a centre aisle. In addition, they want the west side of the street developed to attract tourists."

that didn't quite work out that way!

"Councilors heard submissions from two groups, with both groups claiming to represent over 90% of the people."

Hah!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭65535

Infrastructure that never happened - M20 Cork to Limerick - 2 largest cities outside of the east coast - takes 2 hours in the morning to travel 100 k

A straight road, a dual carriageway even would do at this stage.

We will probably see a return of Shergar and a United Ireland before an M20 happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭gjim

No disrespect but if we're talking about Irish planning in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s then in my opinion Frank got far more things right than the Irish planners of the time. This was the era of the dereliction and destruction in the centre of Dublin and the creation of vast urban sprawl of semi-detached housing around Irish cities.

And responding to someone else, Frank was never against the Luas - it's the opposite. If anything one of his faults is that he's been too pro-tram/Luas and only begrudgingly supportive of metro and DU. There's plenty of stuff he gets wrong too - he scores about a 50/50 miss rate for me - so plenty of areas to attack him fairly.

Unlike other stuff on this thread the M20 actually will be built, on track to start construction in 2027.

It's mad that the M20 wasn't included in the 2000s motorway programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It was. But it was towards the end of the list. A road design was ready to go for the planning process, but when the crash happened it was stopped, as there was no chance it could be paid for in the lifetime of that planning permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭prunudo

During the height of the Celtic tiger there were plans from a number of consortiums for Indoor Snow domes. 3 sites were talked about, Dundalk, Newtownmountkennedy and Tyrellstown as far as I remember. Long before Eamon Ryan and carbon footprints were the talk of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Didnt they build it at one point ?

Well a station box for a metro at any rate, in and around terminal 1 , apparently its long gone ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Michael o leary's argument is that the airport should make its money off shopping and car parking and not charge airlines - if you build a decent public transport link to the airport it kind of ruins that model ..

I think his view is that air travel,air-ports ect. should be for the benefit of ryan-airs shareholders, not the people of the state ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

It's still there. We checked in last year there down in the bowels of T1.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be fair MOL only cares about the business he runs being successful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a large basement, some of which is used as a check-in area. There is not a kitted out train station like is often stated.

It will not be used for Metrolink.

I have my doubts that that basement was ever supposed to be a train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think its an urban legend. The basement is there, but think the rumour about it being a future station grew legs.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Which begs the question of what it was supposed to be?

Advertisement