Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin. 3rd slowest city to drive through.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes it has been the lack of political will, but having the Greens and Big Eamon in the driving seen now RE transport means these things are actually happening and the man is determined to get it done. I do believe it'll be too late to turn back on the project by the time they're voted out in two years, so regardless of how much they're hated at least the Greens will have the legacy of getting the Metro started. I'm worried SF would throw out the project because of the homelisses or hospital beds but hopefully too many contracts are signed by then.

Dublin most definitely needs bus networks and bus connects. Buses are the backbone of any excellent public transport system like London for e.g.

The Bus Connects routes will be a gamechanger for many when planning permission is granted for the road widening etc. that is required to have bus lanes going directly into the city from places like Clongriffin. They will be utterly pointless though without bus lane enforcement, and I don't know if the powers that be have the balls to implement cameras etc to stop this as it would annoy too many motorists having to stay out of the lanes. Works in London though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Those absolute morons has planning permission for dart interconnector and metro North. Both were cancelled around 2012. For sums which have now increased minimum five fold in ten years... I think dart underground was 2 billion, wouldn't run the country for more thaN a few days a year now... could have kept thousands of construction workers in Ireland, just pathetic short sighted governance from varadkar and the rest of them, that we have become accustomed too... they are now spending 30 million on 2km of canal greenway in 2023. Totally scandalous

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Imagine thinking Frank McDonald has anything relevant to say about urban planning. Someone should just distract him with running a living museum instead of keeping Dublin as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Compo82

I was thinking the same thing, it would be handy to have a motorway right into the city centre and cut through the city, but there are also some negatives. Maybe if some of it was underground like in Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

@NIMAN On a positive note, it keeps plenty of people employed by AA Roadwatch.

A minor note: AA Roadwatch ceased in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,229 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think there have been plenty of studies where they removed major roads that ran through cities and greatly improved traffic as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

One major contributor to it is our (or at least DCC's) aversion to high rise. Instead of having a dense population centre we have a sprawl which means far more people have to travel further distances. I can't get my head around how this isn't raised as an issue more often, from an environmental energy usage point of view it makes far more sense to have higher densities, Green party should be pushing stongly for it.

I'd disagree on the not having a dense population bit

Going by average boards.ie posts, it seems most of the population are decidedly dense

To be fair, it was never a good idea putting alcoholics in charge of issues relating to driving cars

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My late father was quite significant in the field of Irish plannng. He could never understand why McDonald, a journalist, was percieved as some kind of expert on planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are absolutely correct. They have a load of projects going through planning stage. Implementation will be starting around the time of the next election, it is so important that the Greens get into government as it is likely that a SF government would cancel some of the projects in order to spend the money elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

much as i hate generalisations about countries; it's ireland. the urgent drives out the important.

e.g. if this nursing home bill issue blows up, it'll be transport projects canned to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The planners didn't hang around the right golf courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Marcos

Several of the traffic light sequences seemed to be all wrong and not favouring the heaviest traffic approach.

Supposedly that's by design, create delays in traffic in the hope that commuters will leave their cars for a sub standard public transport system.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭howiya

It's not too long ago that Big Eamon was part of the campaign to delay and redesign Metro.

Well Big Eam is leading the charge now and hopefully gets the works started before SF can cancel it

Voting greens as crap as they are, might be the only vote i bother giving. The rest of them, including greens, are pretty much identical on all other policies. A decent transport system is probably number one priority to me, of stuff that actually could be delivered. My other wishes, not a chance, reducing marginal rate of tax, sorting housing. Its comedy to even entertain the notion any of the morons will do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not sure that they are? 😕 Dublin is heading towards being a mid sized European city. I admit I am a non expert but would have thought rail/metro/tram type systems that are predictable and carry tons of people per unit of time are the backbone and busses are a supporter + fill in the gaps in a good rail network and provide service at the edges. Dublin does not have a good rail network, and probably won't have anything much better than what it is today for guts of another 2 decades at the very pedestrian pace being set by govt. for building any more.

With rate of population growth here...well it looks a bit ugly. Just a gut feeling but a full implementation of "Busconnects" (edit: incl. all those nice old trees at the side of roads getting the chop + loss of vital parking space for the 4wd or BMW saloon!) might be needed alright to keep it from getting unmanageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭batman75

Would free park and ride facilities help things? It would be interesting to see how many single occupied cars make the journey into the city centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one stat i can remember from years ago was that of every 100 cars on the quays, there were i think 119 occupants. i don't know if they discounted the drivers in taxis which had passengers (which they should do).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Speaking of Golf courses, there's an awful lot of land around Dublin city devoted to a very low density pastime, I mean does anyone under 50 go Golfing these days?

Rezoning the Golf courses to high density residential with limited car parking and a redesign of Bus only roads would really improve the city...

For instance if they rezoned Clontarf golf club which is almost city centre it would allow 5,000 homes to be built...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Is there a worse use of land so close to a city centre than golf courses?

whitewater rafting centres?

a quick measurement on google maps suggests the golf course (not including clubhouse and car park) is about 27Ha. that's for a piece of land that a maximum of maybe 150 people can use at any one time (8 people average on each hole, which may be an overestimate, i'm not a golfer)

Would be a great place for 1000s of apartments. Even if it was opened up to development they'd probably just build a load of detached mansions like they did in recent years on all the free land nearby on the howth road by Harry Byrnes.

I don't think plans for low density housing in Clontarf would be approved under the current guidelines, so will be enough room for 1500 apartments, minimal if any car parking spaces too...

I mean DCC and CIE own most of the land there so it could be purchased at a reasonable cost..

so how did the likes of these monsters get built in the last couple of years? and loads more across the road from them.

• Advertisement

I can only assume that the land was already zoned for low density housing, and the old bungalows they replaced were of an even lower density than the monsters that are built on those sites now....

Advertisement