Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unjustly banned from "Queen Elizabeth II dies"

Options
  • 19-09-2022 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me who are the moderators in "CURRENT AFFAIRS/IMHO" please?

I got banned from this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058262492/queen-elizabeth-ii-dies/p1

I asked the moderator why, what rule I broke. "Being a dick. And you did so several times

Someone has died. If you cannot show respect do not post" Their exact words. I said I wasn't disrespectful, show me where please. So then there reasoning for the ban changed.

"the thread is to discuss the Queen. Someone who has just died. You clearly do not wish to discuss her, and therefore you have been instructed not to post".

Below are my posts in the thread.

"Lies and cover ups right til the end. Not in the least bit surprised where the "royal" family is concerned. Hopefully we see a complete dismantling and disintegration of the "commonwealth" now."

"Only one of them is a great historical figure. Hint: it's Michael Collins."

"Absolute nonsense. There's going to be weeks of it. I hope RTE don't jump on the bandwagon. Who are we kidding? Of course they will, they're a disgraceful National broadcaster."

"Pathetic opening headline on Ireland's Six One News. There are real problems and important things going on in the world."

"I often wonder who controls the media. Shameful coverage by RTE on radio and television. This is Ireland. Get on with relevant Irish news."

The moderator(https://www.boards.ie/profile/discussions/Beasty) to me seemed to go on an initial power trip, changing the title of the thread that was 10 pages deep at that point and thread banning 7 people. The page is now coming up on 100 pages and 11 days later, 5 people have been added to that list since. I've read the thread and people have gone completely off topic and I don't see any of them on the ban list. I think they don't like my perspective. There's free speech in this country, that Irish men and women died for. I'm entitled to give a fair assessment of an antiquated, privileged, racist institution that committed atrocities around this planet, the affects of which are still felt to this day, including our own island. She NEVER apologized for those crimes.

The moderator in question also kept mentioning respecting the dead. I made 5 comments, she wasn't dead for the first 3(publicly) and again I wasn't disrespectful to her for any of the 5 and that wasn't the original thread title.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to Helpdesk, as this doesn't come under the remit of DRP.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to clarify. I never gave permission for you to publish my PMs, but I will give such permission retrospectively

In terms of the thread title, I changed it from

"Queen Elizabeth Under Medical Care Amid Health Fears"

To

"Queen Elizabeth II dies"

Do you not believe that change was appropriate?

Once the news of the Queen's death came through do you not understand it was quite insensitive to be whinging about RTE's coverage within a few minutes of that news?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to clarify one point - this is a private website. There is no right to free speech here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It should have been its own new thread. I didn't know it had changed, I explained this in the PM's, they're 2 different titles. I was in the thread, said it was like going inside a building and coming back outside an hour later and finding it had changed its name and purpose. Still, I didn't say anything disrespectful about the queen.

Insensitive? You want to talk about insensitive? How's about coming over to a country your institution of which you are the current head, an institution that committed countless atrocities over centuries and not have the decency and humility to apologize?

Or awarding a soldier a title who was involved in Bloody Sunday?

The queen only had to look within her own circle to show insensitivity. Diana?

You haven't a leg to stand on, you know it, I know it, I've told you this before, and I'm glad others can see it now. You tried saying I was disrespectful to the queen, that didn't work, so you then tried to say I was banned because I wasn't talking about the queen. Do you not see the contradiction? And if that's the reason, just look through the pages, there'd be very few people left. I was talking about an aspect of the story. I didn't even get a chance to talk about her.

"Just to clarify one point - this is a private website. There is no right to free speech here"

That's some almighty get out of jail free card for you. I would say calling someone a "dick" isn't very respectful.

You decided to have a rant about RTE within 10 minutes of the thread title being changed to reflect the death of the Queen. The thread title was there in front of you

You really cannot understand how insensitive that was?

And you know what. If you had PM;'d me and said you did not realise she had died and you would refrain from posting such material at such a sensitive time I would have lifted the threadban. But you were all high and mighty complaining about atrocities and the like when you definitely knew at that time that the Queen's death had been announced

You wanted to turn a thread about the death of the Queen into a rant about RTE. And you still try and defend that behaviour. Your threadban is not being lifted

• Advertisement

There you go with more inflammatory language, "whinging", "rant", "high and mighty", and "rant" again.

This is IRELAND! Not the UK. I have no respect for the monarchy, neither should any right thinking person. It is from a bygone era, a horrible institution mired in ugly history, yet it is promoted and whitewashed as though it's something to be admired and respected. While I don't respect the institution, I am civil about it.

Who am I insensitive to? I don't think her kids or grandkids frequent Boards.IE. She's a public figure and therefore open to criticism. But again, I didn't say anything disrespectful about her.

Why would I be reading the thread title of a thread I'm already in? I even posted to you the same thread thinking it was a new thread, not realizing you had changed the name. I was saying if I had gone into that thread, you might have had a point.

"You wanted to turn a thread about the death of the Queen into a rant about RTE."

Don't presume to know what I wanted to do. I wanted no such thing. I will defend my behaviour because I did nothing wrong.

I want this dealt with by competent moderators, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Who will be fair and not just side with a fellow mod. I don't know the hierarchy of this site. I presume there's mods who oversee others and there's a chain of command. You said in the PM's that you were done responding. RTE is funded by the Irish taxpayers, they shouldn't be wasting time and money on an institution that divided this country, on a woman who never ever apologized in her privileged, pampered life.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

What? "This a private website. There is no right to free speech here". Ok Chairman Beasty, I'll be on my way so.

Just to back up the poster, everyone is entitled to speak their mind, quite frankly, I think the whole media show surrounding the Queens passing to be obscene and insensitive to certain people. "A sensitive time" head off and become a serf, embarrassing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Not that @Beasty needs any backing up but….

You seem to forget that you are in Europe not the US and in Europe the right to free speech does not trump other rights and is further restricted in the public interest. So people are not required to give up their private property rights nor are they forced to listen to you nor facilitate you in publishing your opinion if they don’t agree with it.

If you are going to participate in European based social media, you are going to have to accept that reality. If you don’t want to accept that then you are always free to set up your own site. But demanding that others play by your made up rules is not going to happen, everyone’s rights are equally important.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

How many rules has the above poster broke? Admits their account is a throwaway troll one. I thought we're only allowed one account. Are they allowed share personal information about a user outside of this site? I'm fairly sure, no. Knew information about a fair post that was deleted by the mods. Seems to be a bit stalker-ish, to say the least or maybe there's something more sinister afoot.

• Advertisement

I read the thread in question again early this morning and seen this post from you Beasty.

Can I ask, are you Irish? Is there a means to check a poster's history? This "new" site format is beyond awful compared to the old one. I don't think you have impartiality nor fairness.

The irony and contradiction of that statement. You mentioned Europe a few times. The head of a state that is no longer a member of the European Union. A state that has broken its agreement on Brexit. That wants to have its cake and eat it too.

"nor are they forced to listen to you nor facilitate you in publishing your opinion if they don’t agree with it."

There you go. It's not about balance or fairness. If a mod has a bias to a certain topic, they can remove anyone who disagrees with it. And is anyone surprised that a mod sides with a fellow mod? Followed by:

"everyone’s rights are equally important."

Complete BS and contradiction. You tripped yourself up within a few sentences.

Go read the thread, you don't even have to take a deep dive. There's countless posts worse than mine. That's the wrong expression though because there's nothing wrong with mine. I think Beasty went in all guns blazing at the start, banning people on a young thread, then quickly realized if they kept that up, the ban list would be as long as their arm. 7 people were thread banned initially in the space of a few minutes after 10 pages. There's 12 people now and we're currently on page 104, 12 days later. Do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The thread is/was about the death of the head of state of our neighbour. So kinda inappropriate imho to use it as a vehicle to attack the monarchy as an institution or attack our media coverage of it. Irrelevant to the subject at hand.

You pov is a valid one in the Republic but why not start another thread on the evils of the monarchy/ RTE etc and have your debate there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Insensitive to who though?

This is an Irish site on the back arse of the internet.

You behave as if its the royal families go to location to gauge the mood of their "adoring" public.

Its a current affair, some people find it excessive, others think its perfect.

And yesterdays funeral will be forgotten by all the event junkies very quickly. It looked like a giant version of riverdance tbh.

Fascinating to watch, like watching the modern pentathlon in the Olympics, it was interesting because you rarely see it, but it was just entertainment when you strip it back.

9/11 got barely a mention this year, mainly due to the queens death being the go to trendy tragedy of the day.

"The thread is/was about the death of the head of state of our neighbour."

It is now, but it wasn't originally. The mod changed it after 10 pages.

"You pov is a valid one in the Republic but why not start another thread on the evils of the monarchy/ RTE etc and have your debate there?"

Do you really think I'd trust that mod when I was thread banned for harmless posts? I've read other posters say they're a big royalist. Wouldn't surprise me, that's the impression I get from them and having read the one post I linked above.

In case you missed it I asked for an alternative thread for these aspects of the event and it was refused by we all know who.

Puzzled? What's stopping you going to whatever forum is appropriate and starting one yourself??

You proposed to another poster to open a separate thread to discuss the evils of the monarchy / RTE etc.

I made such a request and it was refused, making your suggestion a non runner.

I am not sure why you are puzzled with that.

You go to say https://www.boards.ie/categories/current-affairs-imho

and click New Discussion and type away with whatever you want, once it meets forum guidelines.

That is, unless you're banned for some previous other reason from starting threads?

Am I missing something??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its more of a after hours subject than current affairs.

You don't have request a new thread? Don't get that.

• Advertisement

Removed my last post, which was:

"I often wonder who controls the media. Shameful coverage by RTE on radio and television. This is Ireland. Get on with relevant Irish news."

The ECB raised interest rates by a record 0.75%, a major issue that affects Irish people in the real world. Rather they led with the death of a monarch of a foreign country, an institution whose rule we fought for centuries to get rid of.

There something very cultish about the royal family and the nonsense circus. It's almost brainwashing from the cradle to the grave. Be it the narcissistic national anthem, the printing of their head on all their currency. To the ramming down the throat of the monarchy by the British media. It's wall-to-wall, and peaceful protestors unfairly arrested over there.

And this is absolute nonsense below.

There is a fake portrayal of the monarchy, like it's some utopian Disney like fairytale. Airbrushing and whitewashing history. There's a million and one aspects you can criticize. The crown jewels as an example, imagine some of the horror stories the people could tell who mined the jewels and minerals that went into making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

We get it. You don’t like the monarchy and you don’t like RTÉ. Ranting about either wasn’t appropriate in a thread about the dying/dead queen, the fact you don’t seem to “recognise” this says more about you and your state of mind.

RTÉ decided to “cover” the funeral because they figured people would watch. Simple as. Not all of us allow petty sectarianism to rule our lives. Some of us can acknowledge the passing of a neighbouring monarch without resorting to attacks.

I, myself, marked the occasion by wearing my British and Irish Lions tie in work. A small token of solidarity. I don’t believe in a person’s “god given” right to rule but the British do and we have to respect that.

There are plenty of threads out there where you can “vent” about RTÉ and, if you really wanted, I’m sure you could start a thread expressing your hatred of the British royal family. Once you keep within the forum rules, you should be fine. Just don’t expect others to share your ill-mannered opinions.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Why is it inappropriate to criticise the monarchy or the queen just because she has past away? She's not our queen, and the institution she was the head of committed horrific acts on this Island. And many other places.

This whole made up BS that you can't criticise her because she recently died... horseshit. This is a perfectly appropriate time and place to criticise her (and them) while everyone is paying attention to the subject matter.

She wasn't just someone's sweet old granny that died down the street... that's just a clever little game that the English (and some of her grovelling loyal subjects on here) are playing to distract from the truth.

Can you imagine if someone like Donald Trump for example, died while in office... do you think the mods around here or anyone else would be shutting down legitimate criticism of him just because he died...? Like fcuk they would. They pick and choose what can or can't be discussed, based on their own preferences and ingrained biases. Simple as that.

Fine.

But the place to make all those many varied and off topic points is not within a RIP thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Off with Sligo’s head.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭MakersMark

And I used to wonder wherethe Real IRA got their support from.

The wars over folks.

I see you're on the thread ban list. What did you say that got you banned from the thread? I don't know if you're allowed say here. You should be, this isn't some deferential thread.

And for the umpteenth time, I asked the moderator if there was a thread for those of us who wanted to discuss it from a different perspective and I was told there was no scope for an alternative thread.

Will people please stop saying people should open a new thread to discuss RTE's coverage and peoples differing views on the monarchy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Nope, just another “mod moan” thread. Play by the rules, lads, it’s not that hard. You get your warnings, cards, points or whatever reprimand and you move on.

Starting threads, like these, is just embarrassing at this stage.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement