Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So what would have happened in that eventuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well focus your ire on them then rather than the british royals, the majority want them there and they're not going anywhere. At least they're not kiddy fiddlers like our catholic church. Well...

It's an awlful arguement,that puts money above people and attempts to gloss over gross inequality as profitable and falls asunder under basic scurtiny

(how long will royal families/palaces need to open for tourists to cover the inheritance tax not paid by the incumbent king?)

Support for abloshing royals runs at about 20 ish percent,while those not caring run at about same......in a time when royals are not subject to any proper scrutiny/given weird North Korean style gushing, uncritical reports on news.....it's not inconceivable that inside a generation,with proper campaign/highlighting of inequality there,and large scale movement built,it could be a knife edge margin and abolishment of it,in our lifetime

Afaik Liz truss might have started off making name for herself opposing royalty,(admittedly I'm only going off a short debate video off tik tok,so may been a debate practice rather than a policy position??)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blue is the colour

Correct assessment. And in a world where the politicians routinely let their constituents down through lies and/or corruption - the British always had her majesty to fall back on as the representative of the nation. The vast majority of politicians aren't even worth one of her corgis.

I hope that King Charles continues in her vein, but I think in reality Prince William and Catherine will be the next Royals that the British really take to their hearts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Funny part is I used to be of the same mindset of @blazz when I was a young fella. But I grew out of it and copped on, I also learned about British culture in time. Beyond the soap operas and soccer teams.

As you say Britain just has a different culture than Ireland. In NI the bastard child ironically both sides Unionist/Republican have more in common with each other than they to the 'mainland' or '26 counties' they claim to have a connection to. Because the mindset is an odd one and similar just apposing.

But this QEII death has shown me one positive the maturity of SF, surrounding QEII's death etc. And it is not lost on me that the foundations of this maturity started with Martin shaking hands with QEII.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But Brexit was something that was going to and has had profound effects on Ireland.

Whether a country is a republic or a monarchy has no such effects on Ireland.

I really doubt that there would be any support in a government to go on some sort of a crusade to turn monarchies into republics.

I don't think our elected representatives are that wedded to a "republican" cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You could say all that about us and the church only a few years back. British people have for the most part not lived with an alternative to compare to and much like the church there is a level of subliminal coercion going on.

I actually find it interesting watching both countries recently where we have mostly matured to the point that we shrug most things off (the recent pope visit was barely a topic of conversation) whereas the English have become very insecure which leads to all this performance, symbolism and constant outrage about slights.

The various monarchies of Europe are going nowhere but personally if I had a vote i'de get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It is a republic.

It is called a "constitutional monarchy"

English republicans were the first revolutionaries to install a democratic parliament. You should really get your facts straight as well.

Oh and I would imagine that the 200 Labour MP's and the half a million members of the British Labour party might not agree with your opinion that they are " Firmly in the Minority"

Christ on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A little fun fact: early repayment was barred under the terms of the bilateral loan, so the Chancellor of the Exchequer was determined to extract a price from Ireland in interest via interest and he did.

Ireland was well capable of early repayment as they did with Troika loans.

Ireland was also a large creditor country to UK at the time, to the tune of more or less the same amount of the bilateral loan if I recall correctly.

Don't forget for a second that the UK had to go to the IMF with its cap in hand in the late 70s for the largest package to that date. The 1992 Sterling Crisis (Black Wednesday), where they dropped out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism due to fecklessness cost Ireland dearly.

It helps to know the history of these things, and someone will always be out there to bring it up.

• Advertisement

Beggars can't be choosers.

False economies are a bitch to operate.

Who is the beggar? The UK was very much exposed in the banking collapse in Ireland and provided a loan, at commercial rates, to bail themselves out of a big problem

Brexits effect and Kenny campaigning is the move from neutrality you were warning against as regards campaigning in other countries....it been done before,can be done again

All it would realistically take is a commited republican over dept of forgien affairs.....not proposing a whole scale movement,just a willingness to reach out to republican movements and offer some assistance as regards providing literature/carrying out necessary groundwork in their countries for such referendums.....though most may likely prefer approach likes of countries more local to em who have gone that path already.....bit like how Ireland used try offer some assistance with peace negotiations on back of experience with the gfa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Amazing scenes today again. A send off fitting of a Great Woman.

You cant buy that sort of prestige and heritage in a nation. When somebody like Elizabeth The Great dies, the whole world takes note. The scenes of marching bands going down The Mall to Funeral March, iconic. Scenes that would be broadcast all around the world. A moment for the British to remind the world of the heritage.

You don't get that stuff with a President. Like, does anyone know who the President of Germany or Italy are? Nope. That's what they want to replace Charles with. Some backbencher, Labour/Conservative who nobody would have heard of. Who would barely make the news if he/she made a state visit. Charles, William and George would bring far far more value to Britains heritage than a rolling lame duck president.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My first memory of TV was watching Churchill's funeral on a 10 or 12 inch B&W set. It left a lifelong impression, but I think the events of today will be remembered for a very long time. I guess it was the first time something of that scale was appropriate in the modern age, but the whole way it was pulled together is so impressive. To have control over the news for 10 days like that is incredible. It may be thar the coronation can hit a similar high, but that will be a one day event with months to properly prepare, without the need for last minute rehearsals and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Firstly it’s a myth that Britain bailed out Ireland in 2008.

Uk lent a few billion to Ireland not out of charity but as a loan and a strategic financial decision to protect its own economy as Ireland is very important to the UK’s export market and Irish companies employ a lot of people there and the UK feared the damage a total collapse of Ireland’s economy would cause to the economy.

As it was a loan, not a bailout, the money has been paid back with interest ahead of schedule. So the UK gained from the deal.

Their economy is also failing and is now down to 6th but it does not mean it’s all benefit after all India is no 5 and most people would call that a poor country

Due to the inequity of its society the wealth is not shared and poverty levels are higher there than here and it will only get worse as a Brexit and forthcoming Trussenomics kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blue is the colour

A simple 'thank you' will suffice.

or something with a bit more sincerity.

Example: Thanks for the loan and bailing us out, despite our difficult past you were gracious enough to take a chance by loaning us billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To be fair to the poster in question, the statement was implied to mean becoming a Republic in future.

Also Britain is definitely not a Republic now, and the British head of state is integral to its 'Constitution' as it is unwritten.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Looking at the headline figures on the UK economy at the moment, I'd be very very careful about adopting the above stance if I were you. If we're looking at countries in this part of the world that will hit the skids economically, Ireland isn't it.

And remember, you've very few friends left in Finance ministries across the continent.

• Advertisement

The monarchiphobes are now dragging up the democratically elected UK Treasury department to desperately continue along the lines of what they really have a problem with 🙄

So they are finally revealing the truth behind they're ire, which has manifested itself in a 10 day bash of a deceased 96 year old woman who spent her whole life raising money for charity and opening schools and hospitals....

Talk about grasping at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

Tis all over now anyway. Back to normal in Britland.

Nobody I talked to today watched it Between work colleagues , friends , family. Probably more an event for the brits.

The UK loaned Ireland money because a collapse in Ireland would have had dramatic consequences for UK banks who were heavily exposed to the impending problem. Now who should thank who?

How is the UK Treasury department democratically elected?

Is a monarchiphobe someones whos afraid of the monarchy? Disliking something and being afraid of something can be really different things. You come across a bit unhinged with your persistent incorrect use of the word. Shes spent large portions of her life not having an opinion on anything and then the latter part of her life covering for a suspected sexual abuser. God will have a place for her all right. 12 million of the queens finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭Xander10

Sure didn't Covid have control over the news for more than 2 years? 10 days is nothing.

I don't know anyone amongst family or friends who watched more than an accidental glimpse, channel surfing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭Xander10

Serious question, given the talk of the lead coffin and the slow decay , would a royal be allowed to opt for cremation if that was their wish?

Think I would prefer it personally than being in some coffin above ground decaying slowly.

I watched it and I thought it was a fantastic send off.

The Brits don't lay back on ceremony and they did her and themselves proud.

It as a global event watched by millions. I would say Putin is fuming he missed his big opportunity to really mingle and garner some genuine international acceptance. I bet you a fiver he watched the whole thing live, with acute interest. Probably munching on Frozen Fish Gulash whilst craving a Mickey Dees.

All the OSC leaders turned up also, which was more than they have managed to do together in 4 years. It was great to see them united on something for a change.

i

• Advertisement

Yeah i was the same but I suppose this thread is in no way representative of ireland as its a specific queen thread so stands to reason its got a few historians and then british over here with a particular interest in her.

Advertisement