Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf course architects in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Jeff Lynch did the work At Druid’s Heath. What don’t you like about it? I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago and thought it was a solid renovation.

Always disliked the 4th at Druid’s Glen. Disappointed that there wasn’t a way to soften the dogleg.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Class what I was looking for.

Knew Hackett was a legend...but amazing to see the courses listed...

Interesting story , wonder if there is a biography...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Di you know what are they doing at Waterville and who’s involved? Fazio?

Hopefully no more ‘Coastal Management’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

There's a book or two out there that list designers within the general text... but there wouldn't be anything current. I listed some in Hooked but by no means all of them as that wasn't my focus at all.

I have got more interested in the designers/architects over the years but usually only so I know which other courses they've done. Christy O'C Jnr is an obvious example. I like Rathsallagh and Esker Hills but don't 'get' Knightsbrook.

Mel Flanagan hasn't been mentioned and I would be a huge fan of his work at Rathcore.

I confess it was a massive disappointment to me when I discovered that Langer didn't have that much to do with Portmarnock Links, and have come to realise - as Ally pointed out - that sometimes it's just about perception and the big name. Sad really.

Surprised at @whizbang 's comment on Druids Heath. I found it to be a significant improvement over what was there before. It's far more playable now and the playing lines are more visible as well as accessible.

As for Hackett - a legend. Simplicity doesn't always work when the land has nothing going for it... but so often it's a better solution than just piling in with the machines as many do. Connemara shines through in that regard. And you can't mention Eddie's name without mentioning Carne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

The top100 golf courses website has a top 100 architects on it which is quite good. So the Irish guys who made it into the top 100 have a section on them and a list of their courses. I don't think christy O'connor is on it actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I just finished the tom doak book. I'd love to see an updated version from him now. That book is 30 years old, I think the changes in equipment and conditioning probably would change those golf courses dramatically now. And his thoughts on the game must have changed too even if his primary philosophy might not.

Advertisement