Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Views on extraordinary scores in a Limerick Golf club

Options
  • 17-09-2022 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Talking to some fella golfers and it seems that a higher handicapper,21, has won 4 medals this year already and has been in the top 5 in another and on Captains day. Only recently it seem he has been cut despite some quite good score…playing off 19 he had the lowest gross recently and had a net 55, for his 4th medal Something defo wrong in that club….apparently he the handicap secretary as well..anyone know more..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

Where are you getting this information? Is it from another thread on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

On their own Facebook page…scores posted

• Registered Users Posts: 21,176 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I saw a tweet with the scores (screenshot from how did I do). What a joke if its true, the top 3 scores are absolute nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Are you allowed to tell us the name of the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Rathbane - Dunno why people are afraid to say it. They put the scores themselves on their Facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ah, actually had another club in mind straight away when i saw this thread, where some "unbelievable" scores are also being returned by a some "high handicappers".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I remember playing a father and son years ago in a to be unnamed club in the midlands. We played with 2 pals who weren't even related. One of them parred 9 holes and had 3 birdies and said he was off 21. Thick phucker was boasting about the Captain's prize coming up in 2 weeks at the same club. My Dad wanted to write a letter but never bothered. We only went down because we loved the course and it was a tenner to play in their open week on a Saturday afternnoon .. and a great opportunity to spend our day together.

There are some sad bastards out there who will do anything for a € 300 voucher in the Pro Shop.

My Dad is really getting on now and struggles to get around. Is anyone aware of any comps around whereby you can play doubles ( ie Father n Son ) with only one partner is selected for chipping and putting? My Dad would be made up to be able to get out for a game, I would happily get him up and around the green if he drives the buggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

A scramble sounds like your best bet, or foursomes (Every second shot)... not too many of them played though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Greensomes might work. Take best drive every time and play alternate from there, so in essence could always use your drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

never hear it called Greensomes. Scotch Foresomes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

This guy is handing in scorecards of 122 mid week then shooting 75 in the monthly medals.

And he's in charge of handicaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭Xander10

what would your handicap be after shooting 75 in the first medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This story sounds so amazing - It actually doesn't sound real - it sounds like the story in Stand By Me when the guy bullied gets his own back on the town. There are some clubs that are so dysfunctional that WHS enables more amazing stuff - even if it was already daft. It is just magnified.

Would be absolutely iconic - if the guy took on handicap sec and said - I'll show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The lack of self awareness of these guys is unbelievable. Do they not realise the whole club is looking at them in disgust. There is hardly a club in Ireland without them. I actually see no difference in whats going on with somebody else just using a magic pencil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When this lad is being buried they'll still be talking about those dodgy handicaps! Don't know why people bring it on themselves for a few prizes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I don't like seeing these people discussed on the likes of boards or WhatsApp. It was tough enough on them when it was just chat in a club, but now their cards, names, handicap records are being shared on a national discussion forum and in WhatsApp and on facebook etc all around the country.

I know they bring it on themselves in a way, but we don't know what's going on in their lives, the specifics of the cases, or how well they are able to cope with this scrutiny. At the end of the day, it's just golf. It's not very important. Discussing in a general sense is fine, examples where we're not naming or effectively naming people is grand. But basically calling out someone for this shaming when we don't know the guy at all is bad form on our part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think it should be discussed everywhere and made known

The more hidden it is, the more cheating scumbags get away with it

Maybe if it’s more public he’ll have a bit of cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Dont be a **** cheat and nobody talk about you

And the lad who goes and has the round of his life if is now in the same category as these cheats.

Nothing done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

I don't think that is strictly true.

Granted, his best scores have been produced in medal competitions (low to mid 80s), but most of his other scores are in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

He's handing the the 122's in his mid week general rounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

That was according to the whatsapp message. It isn't true.

Had a look at the facebook page.

Comical

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

It looks like the club has deleted or hidden all the comments on the facebook post, I can't see any of them anymore.

Didnt check comments had a browse through results

Imagine being a member there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I think back to an incident in a gaa club a few years back. A guy had been pocketing money, I think from ticket sales. Over the course of a few years it was a 6 figure sum and he was found out. So a far more serious issue than someone cheating at golf. The story made national newspapers obviously. And discussion forums, probably including this one. Very nasty things were said about him. And not long after the story broke me killed himself.

No-one is defending his actions, he deserved to be punished for them, but I wonder did the attention on him push him over the edge.

I always just worry how well these guys whose stories do the rounds on WhatsApp and social media are able to cope with what is said about them. And what else might be going on in their lives at the and time that this could be another weight on them. Not publicly shaming people isn't condoning their actions. And I'd even say showing some consideration to those who are acting like this is a positive thing to do. It's only golf at the end of the day. The next two posts after mine called him scumbag and a ****. That's not warranted. You dont know enough to make those sorts of insults.

And I'd say a lot of what's being said is made up anyway. Remember the gaa match recently with a trans athlete playing? I remember hearing that she scored something like 2.11. I heard someone interviewed who actually had the story and said that she didn't score at all or even play the whole game. You absolutely cannot trust these WhatsApp stories that do the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭Xander10

@blue note I think you are being too kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I remember him, he was a bit of a boyo. He did away with himself but that doesn’t excuse what he did. He robbed money, over a sustained period of time and couldn’t handle the consequences. He was a old man which made the suicide probably more sad than if he was a young fella but still, wrong is wrong. You can’t defend what he did. If he didn’t want to take the heat he shouldn’t have stole a pile of money it’s as simple as that.

Its only right this fella in Limerick, and any other fella caught blatantly cheating is called out on it. For every action there’s a reaction and this guy should be horsed out of the club. Im surprised this fella has anyone to actually play with and mark his cards therefore enabling his cheating. I’ve no issue with him being called for what he’s doing. Don’t do it if you can’t take the crap that comes with it.

We had a guy caught cheating in a captains prize and that night a few of us were out having a few drinks. One of the lads wife was with us and thought we were calling out the fella for cheating on his wife. When we said he was caught cheating at golf she said thought that was worse!

• Advertisement

He is a f***ing cheat

And people have to accept consequences consequence of their actions.

Advertisement