Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Vogue Williams type plane incident.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yes. BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

BA. London City is very handy, you don’t even need to take your liquids out of your bag going through security these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,814 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the parent and entitlement IGK gang in my experience being absolutely pricks has really shot forward the last decade…. In terms of how routinely and frequently people have to suffer them and their entitled antics.

you’ve got it in travel experience and scenarios of as discussing here, in workplaces as relates to shifts and more besides….which I’ve seen happening with my own eyes..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

How does crap like this make it into the news? It's an article on a reddit post that was posted nearly 2 weeks ago. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The same thing has been regurgited in many forms over the past couple of years.

Lazy journalism, robbing rubbish from the likes of Reddit, Mumsnet etc.

• Advertisement

I think people HAVE become more self entitled. Yes of course there have always been self entitled types but I think it's worse now due to: the "boom", then the recession making people angry, then Covid making people angry, now the inflation hike making people angry. And polarisation via Twitter and Facebook and the tabloids. Just a theory.

I could be wrong, but it seems to be what I'm observing.

The absolute scumbags in the anecdotes here are just disgusting.

Don't give a fack about vogue Williams or anyone else. Will give up my seat if it doesn't effect me and can help someone else out or accommodate someone else but if it doesn't suit me I won't..it's a fuckin crappy seat....who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Totally agree with the last paragraph regarding workplace behaviour. And then they wonder why they don’t get that promotion and cry discrimination, because it can’t possibly be that they are less efficient than your colleagues who do more work. It’s a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'd likely give up my seat. I don't feel like I'd want to babysit someone else's child on a flight. ..First time on a aeroplane timmy?

Yes.

2 mins later timmy goes pale

Timmy barfs all over my tray.

Thanks timmy, meanwhile mammy and daddy, childfree in row Z are having flashbacks to their honeymoon while I'm having flash backs to Thursday nights in college with the smell of puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, you're absolutely correct in my opinion.

The basic decency and manners - even while dealing with a grievance - that I saw from my parents and grandparents, is fast disappearing.

People are becoming very poor communicators, for many reasons and it leads to the type of interactions that we're discussing here.

And I regret the person it has made me frankly. I would always have had great patience and been very slow to anger, but more and more I see these interactions, these displays of entitlement, harassment, unnecessary anger and I end up intervening where people are receiving entirely unjustifiable abuse.

My wife told me she wanted to see no more of it, when I was almost detained in the Airport early this summer for weighing in where a young woman was being verbally harassed.

It's funny that air travel is nearly always involved!

• Advertisement

It's funny that air travel is nearly always involved

People turn into animals in the airport. Like a bucket of crabs clawing at each other, trying to gain even the most insignificant of advantages over each other, it's quite frightening. Watch how they crowd around the baggage carousel next time, blocking everyone else's view so that nobody else can shuffle in front of them. I shudder to think what it would be like in a real emergency.

Flew home from Faro once and the shuttle out to the plane is almost full. Only pax left to get on are an elderly couple and a young lady with two kids in tow. They look like they're all in the one family. We're near the front of the bus, doors are in the middle. Young lady is trying to stop kid 1 from running away while holding the infant in her hands and fold the buggy at the same time. Nobody even hints at making a move to help her.

I say to the missus, in a loud enough voice that they can all hear me, "You'd think someone near the doors would give her a hand".......followed by loads of silence and looking out the windows. "I s'pose I'll have to do it so".....so I start pushing past others to get out and assist her. As I'm getting off, the two ladies sitting just inside the door stand up and move further into the bus, presumably to let the old couple sit down.

I tell her to get on, fold the buggy, then get back on with buggy in hand as she's completely overloaded already. While I was off, two pricks in golf gear had bailed into the seats vacated by the two ladies, leaving the pensioners to stand (they weren't with the lady and kids). I'm about to start giving them grief when someone else scolds them into letting the lady and kids sit down. They agree reluctantly. I have to move towards the back of the bus and it's then that I spy some sh1tebag with his hand luggage on the seat beside him, airpods in, staring out the window. This sends me over the edge.

I tell him to move the bag and he points at the earphones. I tell him again, in a loud enough voice that the whole bus can hear, him included. He takes one out and says "sorry?", so I tell him if he doesn't move the bag so I can sit down, it's getting fcuked out onto the runway. He starts mumbling but moves it. I gave the seat to the wife from the elderly couple mentioned earlier.

The bus takes off and 90 seconds later we're all getting off to get on the bleeding plane. Took me longer to figure out how to fold the buggy.

Hell is other people and the airport is like the 7th circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭facehugger99

When I flew to Guernsey earlier this year the senior of the two flight attendants deemed that the aircraft was unevenly balanced for flight on the turboprop, so a big swap around was ordered or else the airplane couldn’t fly, simple as. Apparently some cancellations had arisen causing the imbalance. It necessitated dividing people up whether they liked it or not for the short flight.

I remember bringing my elderly mother on the quick flight to the Aran Islands, she wasn’t used to light aircraft and I’m sure she would have appreciated sitting next. She was a tiny woman so put on the rear most seat by herself without a window, often used for parcels.

Also flying back from Lisbon a fortnight or so ago, there was an elderly man by the emergency exit and when the flight attendant asked him did he feel able to operate the exit in the event of an emergency he just stared blankly, totally confused, so they got him to swap with a big strong young guy. On booking systems it should be flagged in a big orange pop-up box “I am capable of operating an aircraft emergency exit…” and not be seen just as a means of getting more money from passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I like an aisle seat and book an aisle seat. If I'm asked to switch I don't mind, once its for another aisle seat.

I was on a flight once were this child was roaring and crying. It was a nightmare, but **** happens. The gombeen beside me smelled of drink and kept turning around to give the mother dirty looks. Complete arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I use to fly that route a lot BA to London city as I had an ex who lived in London. The staff were always lovely, they used to give me a wee bottle or two of prosecco when I was leaving ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rosmatt

I flew transatlantic with a child a couple of months ago. I did not pay to get adjacent seats because airline policy stated we would automatically be placed together. So if the airline bumped people out of 'our' seats to allow that to happen, I wouldn't have known about it. I would've been just like the woman in the article who boarded and found people sitting in the seats assigned to her and her child per her boarding passes. I would've kicked up a stink, just like her. Would I have been in the wrong? I don't think so.

Advertisement