Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭jj880

If I had to bet Id say there will be a TOTK OLED. Dont think it will be the leaked console pics at the start of the year but you never know. Debate on leaked images here:

That collectors edition does look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

Thanks for that, it must have only gone up on their site in the last hour or so. Got one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

We got in at the right time anyway, it's up to €120! I'm hoping Smyths honor the price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Virtually all collectors editions are lacklustre - premium priced tat. Alas, this one is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yay I paid twice as much for a cheap extra box and a small book with some figures drawn in it craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

Hmmm their price promise doesn't give me much hope but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Damn, that's a good price. I was thinking it's too good to be true, and I guess it was, it's gone up now to €120. Hope you and others who ordered early get it for the €100.

Looking at the file size for this game, on the UK eShop it says it's 18.6GB. On the American eShop it says it's 18.2GB. I don't know if that discrepancy is due to different languages in each region. That was going to be my suggestion in order to get it to 16GB or less, removal of languages on the cart, because I can't see Nintendo using a 32GB cartridge, and certainly not for the sake of <3GB extra.

And you know there's going to be DLC, PAID DLC. And how much extra is that going to cost and when? I bet they're already well under way with it. I took issue with the way they handled some of that with BOTW. The Definitive Edition on the Switch successor will hopefully have all content(including DLC) on a better, cheaper, larger capacity medium, likely a proprietary cartridge again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭jj880

In case anyone is close to the border. The Game Collection are selling for £50. Got a pre-order placed to Derry using Irish revolut. Free delivery. Money taken now at good exchange rate. Works out at 56 euro.

The leaked TOTK OLED has symbols on it that match the pins in the collectors edition. Those symbols were never seen before. A fake leak couldn’t have guessed those symbols imo.

• Advertisement

TOTK looks far better visually than BOTW. Since BOTW is a Wii U game at heart and a Switch port, the last 6+ years the Zelda devs have had with the Switch hardware is really showing. Enemies are more complex models, the world looks more dense and more detailed, and textures are looking more detailed too. Even the earlier trailers fooled Digital Foundry into thinking it’s running on new hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Collectors edition sold out in Smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

I wonder if they've reworked how game assets are loading in perhaps. BotW was enough in places to bring the frame rate down to the low 20's on places (maybe even into the teens?)....so I'd hate to see how a more detailed world on the same hardware would look framerate wise.

Yeah I don’t expect 60fps, but I’m confident it’ll be 30fps with the rare dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The cartridge version comes with a processor to bump up the frame rate to 60.

Would be nice 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

For the last month, I've been replaying BOTW on the Wii U. I can imagine a similar performance with this on Switch.

I'm usually all over DF videos to see which console has better performance but with a game this good, I won't mind the framerate.

I was hoping this would coincide with a Switch Pro or whatever the next console is so I didn't have to shell out for Switch. But over the last months I've been replaying WW HD, TP HD, and now BOTW, I'd kick myself not having this day one.

Smyths currently have a Switch with Skyward Sword HD free which is very tempting but I'm holding out in the hope this TOTK OLED Switch comes out along with a TOTK Pro controller.

TOTK doesn't look far better, it looks the same to me, but I'd need to watch the trailer more and see sites like Digital Foundry run over the footage. It's the same hardware that launched in 2017, and Switch in handheld mode is still the Wii U, slightly less powerful. But if there are improvements and you'd expect there should be, I'd put it down to having an extra 6 years to tweak the engine, plus there are new coding techniques now that weren't available back then, such as AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution upscaling.

I'd be surprised if the APU in the Switch (essentially an eight year old dinosaur at this stage) was compatible with FSR and the likes. Engine optimisations sure, asset loading and culling being more streamlined definitely....I'd say that'll be it though. The Switch successor will an all likelihood breathe a huge gasp of life into games like these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If there's no upgraded Switch hardware for this then that's seriously disappointing and I'll just have to play it on the Steam Deck instead.

FSR is used in Switch Sports, Splatoon 3 and Sonic Frontiers. It’s a software upscaler not a hardware on like NVidia DLSS so can be applied to Switch hardware or any current hardware really. Obviously the better the hardware the better the result with FSR.

Its also not a “coding technique” Sligeach.

Indeed, just reading about that here. Seemingly though its impact isn't tremendous on Switch level hardware, but hey, if it's available why not use it?!

Yeah if Nintendo stick with Nvida hardware and it’s capable of DLSS2 or DLSS3, then a Switch style form factor console could genuinely compete with Xbox Series and PS5.

Games would run natively at 720-1080p which would be fine for handheld, but DLSS can bring them to 1440-2160p for TV play.

Absolutely, DLSS would be a game changer. Pretty sure they're partnered with Nvidia too, so it's likely we'll see it used in the Switch successor.

I'd happily take locked 60fps at 1080p, over ~30fps at 4k though...but again, we're seeing developers implementing performance / resolution options lately, so that combined with a native DLSS solution would put the Switch 2 firmly in the 'packing a punch' category.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm definitely hoping to see some kind of robust upscaling / DLSS solution in a Switch successor, but it's an open question what form it'd take since we just haven't really seen. The big question is around power draw. The wonders of DLSS to date have largely been restricted to discreet desktop (and laptop) GPUs which on their own draw exponentially more power than a Switch. Assuming a Switch-like form factor, I reckon you'd need to see a much more capable dock for it to be able to draw the additional power needed to utilise DLSS or an equivalent. You don't really need it in handheld - presumably, they'll be aiming in the 720p territory again there - but a dock able to push the machine harder would be able to do a lot.

Even 1080p tends to look rather 'soft' on a 4K TV so they have their work cut out for them - I'd love to see them figure something out. The main thing probably is around cost - to get a big generational uplift while still being affordable, especially given current tech prices, is no small ask. The Steam Deck is a more expensive piece of kit and while it delivers a notable performance boost over Switch it's not an earth-shattering one. So we'll see - I wouldn't be surprised if the successor is still a year or two away just so that next gen of tech becomes a bit more affordable for the mass market.

The “next gen” version of the Tegra SoC is “Orin” and has recently hit the market. So it’s plausible to use that or a custom version in a Switch-like console hybrid. It potentially would need to a slightly larger size with a larger batter to accommodate a higher power draw but that might depend on the power scaling needs with or without DLSS active.

A new system for Christmas 2024 would be realistic to use Orin. It’d be 2 years old at that stage - same age Tegra X1 was when Switch released.

Nvidia leaks included references to API “nvn2” and model T234. The API for the current Switch is “nvn” and the model number….is Orin. So take it with a grain of salt but it’s optimistic that these things are being mentioned in the same breaths.

But we have gone off topic so I’ll end it there :)

Nintendo survey hints at Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom details

What I glean from this survey is that you can make possibly make your own vehicles, that Shrines are returning and there will be new enemies, large and small. The article says that there was a screenshot that wasn't shared, and asked which feature they'd like to return the most, dungeons was one of the options.

The wording of the survey question is definitive. It says "Here are some new features...." and then lists the features including "build and ride new types of vehicles". Everything listed on the question is in the game and everything listed was seen in the trailer and subsequent screenshots released.

Considering the games store page says "Watch the new trailer to see what Link’s latest quest has in store, including never before seen weapons and mysterious vehicles…" and that the trailer shows Link finding vehicle parts, and parts lying out in the open for collection, I don't think we need to speculate if we can "possibly make" vehicles. It's pretty clear Nintendo aren't hiding that fact.

• Advertisement

Let me guess... Yep! 🙄

Advertisement