Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭jj880

Yea Lightning temple is the best I think. I broke it a few times with Ascend. You have to bring Riju with you wherever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭bren2001

Am I the only one who thought the ascend to the Wind Temple was quite tedious? It was fun for the first few minutes but then I just got bored. I personally preferred the setup in BOTW of the temple just pretty much being there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I personally think it’s one of my favourite setpieces in gaming. Great use of the core mechanics, matched with excellent art design and a peerless sense of scale. Unlike other games, you never quite forget that you’re doing all that navigation above the game world - if you fall, the game will simply continue.

Maybe went on a bit too long but I think with the Sky and the Depths being added this game it would be a shame not to use them as much as possible. The only thing I find tedious and this goes for every game is the ridiculous numbers of some items that need collecting. Obviously some enjoy that but I definitely dont. There is plenty of game time in Zelda without it. I dont mind a long puzzle or fox hunt to earn something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I find you can skip lots of that stuff. Very limited returns. Same for every Zelda game. Hours and hours to upgrade a weapon or clothing to save maybe half a heart when you get hit.

RDR2 was similar. Didn't need most of the stuff. Didn't really need to even eat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it dragged a little sure, but damn if that climb into the clouds wasn't one of the more arresting experiences in a game over the last few years. A really robust sense of exploration and discovery, manifest through the key mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks for the answers for the shrine tracker. Well do that tonight.

Had tried taking a photo of a shrine but the camera doesn't recognise it as something for the compendium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Enjoying that fact that I keep resigning myself to the fact the coliseums are going to yield little of value only for them to indeed hold something of value.

Pretty cool they incorporated so much of the DLC from BotW into TotK base game for those of us who skipped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Master Kohga stuff is hilarious this time around. Great for zonaite and crystal charge farming and building up your energy wells.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did a bit of cleaning up work last night. The game is just a constant joy to explore. I keep finding cheeky ways to use the powers, like a treasure chest deep underwater that I used a long string of planks to reach down to and then attach it and fish it out.

Going to go towards the Zora area but could take a couple of nights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

You mean the dead fella, thrown down the bottomless pit in the first game? Bit morbid bringing him up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Master Sword has been recovered. I have to admit I really enjoyed the extended quest leading up to the (quite spectacular) recovery...

there's a little bit of pixel-hunting involved for sure on some of them, but I loved spying the crop circle things from up high and then seeing the sheer scale of them on the ground. I don't want to oversell the story or anything as it's still Zelda, but I do think there's a more active and engaged story that unfolds in the Dragon Tear cutscenes than BotW had. And it pays off mechanically with that fantastic sequence on the back of the dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Rule 1: Unless you see a body they're never confirmed dead.

If you're on desktop, there's a little flag-like icon to the left of the post box. Click that and then the inverted commas menu and it'll spoiler any selected text.

Same on mobile, but the button is at the bottom of the post box there, beside the one to add an image. It can be a bit more finicky formatting wise though!

Aha, great thanks for that.

So yeah

Was just trying to get as high as possible into the sky and landed on the back of the dragon and saw the sword!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Late starter (only got the game at the weekend). Incredible game, and leagues better than BOTW.

I'm at the Wind temple...

The buildup was fantastic, and that moment where you bounce up above the clouds to a clear sky (after hours of snow) is one that will stick with me for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

It's just so addictive. I wasn't really in the mood to play it last night but said I'd just do a shrine or 2 before sleep. I ended up playing it for almost 3 hours and had to stop myself. The variety in every play session is just crazy.

It does prove that graphics, power etc are kinda unimportant. The experience itself is what counts. Look what Nintendo have achieved on average, 6 year old hardware. Meanwhile were waiting 10+ years for big titles to drop on the flagship consoles.

Footing my turf when all I really wana do is explore the Depths! Back at it tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Turn off all the HUD stuff and it's a much more immersive game to play.

I'm just clearing all the towers and expose the map first, like what I did with BOTW, then do a load of shrines and whatever else and maybe get back to the main quest next year 😁

I like the little travelling companion after you complete the wind temple. Makes it seem more epic and less lonely than BOTW.

The way you can light up the underground by throwing the seeds is a thing of beauty.

Love the tower puzzles. And the propping up the builders sign puzzles. Simple and fun.

Reminds me, it's very funny in places. Really does not take itself seriously. Light hearted and joyful.

Also, not dark. So relieved it's not 60+ hours of something like Majoras Mask.

And you don't need to go crazy on the building aspect

I think the world seems different. The landscape seems different, even where it hasn't been modified by slime or whatever. Or maybe it takes on a completely different perspective when yiu approach it from the sky.

Magical game. I'd nearly recommend anybody who hasn't played BOTW and who loves this to do BOTW first as it'd be harder to go to BOTW after this. But BOTW is still a valid and brilliant game.

I'm thinking I can sell the playstation now and all those other open world games on my backlog that I no longer need in my life. 😁

Really incredible piece of game design and implementation.

Went for stamina but need hearts now, dying a lot. Few more shrines to be done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've had lots of joy with the Shrines, but for some reason my brain keeps stalling with those Builder Signs. How are people 'solving' them??

No exaggeration but that moment with the Wind Temple is gonna stick with me as a Forever Memory when it comes to games; I was a bit cynical about that Aussie ad with the middle-aged guy getting all excited playing TOTK ... but it's kinda on the money.

Even noted curmudgeon Yahtzee Croshaw has been waxing lyrical; albeit with the kind of caveats you might expect of him.

For the Addison signs: literally shove as many reinforced planks or rocks as needed to get the bloody thing to stand up :P Forget about elegance - embrace multi-object balancing contraptions.

Planks and wooden sheets usually won't stand freely so reinforce them with girders or large bases.

I was serious about just dumping a load of stuff on my backlog after playing this. This game could save years of your life !

That's the brilliant thing about the physics engine, you can be as sloppy as you want and it works as you expect.

Oh really, it's as simple as that? I tried that but the sign wobbled, stayed crooked though and got no response - so maybe it needs to be dead straight, vertically?

I've noticed, especially with the Ultrahand, that the physics appears to be grid-based in terms of where things "stick": so I wonder if that's where and how they avoided the various pitfalls of bugs & craziness you got with things like Gary's Mod et al. That Nintendo just clamped the corners & parts any object can interact with each other, simplifying the physics while maintaining believability. Plus, it would mean there was less stress put on the hardware to constantly calculate an excessive amount of complex geometry.

The sign just needs to stay mostly vertical. The puzzle will automatically reset if the sign falls too much after you tell Addison to let go - poor old Addison gets very upset indeed when it happens. If it doesn't reset then you've done it right - just talk to him again after a few seconds and you'll get the rewards. There's generally a bit of leeway for the sign to 'lean' against something, and every one I've done so far (around 20-25, I reckon) has been solvable with items nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

All I've ever needed to do for the signs is use the biggest sheet of wood with three or four of the beams.

Big sheet down on the ground under the sign, then just use the beams upright to trap the sign so it can't fall left, right or forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭bren2001

For the signs I usually take one beam, place it at a 45 degree angle and lean it against the main part of the sign. Works most of the time. The handful of times it has not, I use two beams leaning from both sides.

I usually see it as a challenge to use as little of the material provided.

Advertisement