Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Young people and emigration: The elephant in the room

• 07-09-2022 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭ completedit

Ireland is an economy that has boomed for the past 6 years however in that time many of my friends have moved abroad. One of the reasons citied when a Sinn Fein politician or the emigrants themselves talks about emigrating Ireland is the housing situation and the lack of opportunity to find an affordable place. However, nobody ever mentions that the cities that the majority of our emigrants go to our among the most expensive cities in the world with housing and rental situations comparable to ours.

The only difference that I can see is that people move to these places and don't have to think long term so they spend a huge amount on rent and living and just end up living month to month. When in Ireland they probably feel a greater pressure to put some money aside. They get an education for 18 years and then act as if Ireland has given them nothing. You literally got your education subsidised by the Irish taxpayer!

I feel everyone knows most people in Ireland leave for a bit of crack and because they've been conditioned to think that life happens outside of Ireland. Nobody really goes away because they absolutely have to.

Comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ Former Former Former

I left because there were no opportunities

London is a global financial, industrial and cultural capital with 10 million people. You're not really comparing like with like.

Nevertheless, there have never been more opportunities for young people in the history of our country, and I doubt many countries of a similar size provide anything close to the opportunities that Ireland does. We have full employment and we are screaming out for more graduates to take on high quality jobs.

Whatever failings modern Ireland has, a lack of opportunity is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,004 ✭✭✭✭ kneemos

No idea what percentage of the housing market daft covers,not 100% anyway I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭ ancapailldorcha

I... wasn't comparing like with like. I don't know why you're suggesting that I was. I emigrated to somewhere totally different for precisely that reason.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not convinced. The choice is either whatever's available in the countryside or the overpriced tip that is Dublin.

Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death.

Steven Erikson

• Registered Users Posts: 15,010 ✭✭✭✭ Grayson

It's still a very good estimate. Sure there will be some trading hands on facebook, or through friends/family, but it's still a pitiful amount.

Every Estate Agent,social media. The majority never need to be advertised I'd say.

Well yeah, but fewer oppotunities in the countryside compared to the cities is hardly unique to Ireland.

But Ireland has far more to offer young people outside of the capital than a lot of other countries do. Our biggest industry is pharma and medtech and it's dotted all over the country, for example. Think you have unreasonable expectatations tbh.

As for Dublin, it's not a tip, it's a great place to live.

Most of it was forced though I'm afraid. Anybody under fifty doesn't remember the misery that was the eighties in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭ cj maxx

I left in the late 90's early 00's and you couldn't go to woodside or woodland without seeing someone you knew from home.

In any cases, my reasons were more social than economical: I got bored of everything revolving around overprived drink and crappy innuendo.

All there is to do in rural Ireland is drink. Fine if that's what one is into but I'm not and if I stayed, I'd just feel like I was wasting my life.

Don't these attitudes just back the OP's point that people leave because they want to, not because they have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,490 ✭✭✭✭ Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To a certain extent, yes- but he still ponders over the "why"? bit.

Do NOT ask me how I define the terms "man", "woman", "male" or "female" when you reply to this post. You know the answer and it's probably irrelevant to the discussion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ Hamachi

Housing is an issue here for sure. However, some of that issue is attributable to our unique demographics. In a European context, we have a very young population with robust natural growth. The birth rate increased 16% YoY in QR1 of 2022. This fact, compounded by very high levels of inward migration means that we are always playing catch-up when it comes to housing. The first dimension simply isn’t a factor across much of continental Europe, where natural population growth is minimal or negative.

Frankly, your points about insecurity and an inferiority complex are nonsense. I’m pretty senior in the tech sector and have worked extensively on the continent and in North America. Irish people more than hold their own in any setting. I have several young guys and girls in their early 20s, reporting into me. They are extraordinarily confident in any setting and are destined to go far. These people could have international careers if they so choose, but are very happy with their professional and personal lives in Ireland. Nobody is particularly interested in emigrants or their experiences abroad. Out of sight, out of mind and all that. People are too busy pursuing their own full lives here to be concerned with the perceptions of those who have created a life abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭ Count Dracula

The world is a very small place in these times. It is not hard to be home in less than a day from nearly anywhere. We are possibly one of the best educated and hardest working people in the entire planet and known for it. There are simply copious amounts of opportunity for people with these prospects.

You don't have to do London to get set up nicely in the UK. There are oodles of other big conurbations to make a decent living in.

Given the increase in working from home vacancies this will only lead to further possibilities both home and abroad, which actually should and will have a negative impact on domestic service jobs. You can get 3 Indian national IT professionals for the price of one in here, that is already a huge factor in outsourced IT and accounting functions, that could well play havoc long term on our Financial Services offer, it already is.

Emigration is a fact of Irish existence as long as I am alive, there is nothing unique or novel about it. It will always be an option or a necessity to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ jimmybobbyschweiz

With respect, I don't think the high flyers in tech are who I'm talking about. They are likely well travelled and exposed to different cultures so if anything would likely get a bit of begrudgery from the Irish people I am referring to as they seem to be too confident and worldly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms

Temporary contracts and their prevalence is getting more commonplace. Especially amongst lower skilled workers…

it’s a bit worrying that I’m reading one third of younger workers (18-24) had a temporary contract, compared to 6 per cent of 25-64 year olds, in 2019 granted but I’d speculate that has dis improved..

Advertisement