Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Call is in with the installer, waiting for a ring back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bit of a mad one, firemans hardly mechanically failed?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I have also seen my sunsynk get grid disconnected, 3 times, is the grid messed up or what? Or just me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And just like that...

So it fired up again once it had enough solar. I need to understand why it shut down in the first place though so I'll have a chat with the installer anyway.

I was doing a timed battery charge last night, in preparation for a possible power cut. Shortly after I stopped the battery charge, the inverter went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Glad you're back up @DrPhilG. Warranty replacement is a nightmare scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭deezell

Spikes on the grid due to the storm may have caused overvoltage and shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭10-10-20

True but it should be logging those type of events or displaying a status LED at least. Even microinverters will provide that level of logging as seen here.

@DrPhilG any logs?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

just saw this at kings cross tube station. They claim shared solar is up to 62% cheaper than home solar and could cut your bill by up to 25%. The renewable industry seems to be really dynamic in GB.

To me it's an interesting concept or is it too good to be true? Be interested to know if any businesses have similar plans for here.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

It's been on the fully charged show a few times over the last few years. Seems legit. AFAIK there is no equivalent here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I've 8 acres lying idle behind my house. It's got me thinking ha!

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12 twitcherdub

Any advice on somebody who might be able to add 4 new panels to an existing setup installed last year? I have the panels, railing and (11) optimisers, but the guy I had lined up to throw the panels on doesn't seem to want to do the job anymore. I'd imagine it's a 2-3 hour job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭con747

The Solar page on Facebook has a few lads that do add on's to existing setups if you ask there you will get a broader response I would imagine. Just make sure you check them out for insurance and warranty reasons though!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭idc

Noticed DAA has started work on new solar farm beside the main runway

That's interesting. Seeing as the only exception to the free for all place panels anywhere on your house or property whereever you want them, is if you live near an airport 🤣

Maybe DAA will use special non-glare panels or something 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I think that stipulation is so that if there was an array somewhere close to the airport which was causing an issue (not in control by the airport), that they could ask for it to be removed/changed. In reality worldwide the practice is to install more solar on airports.

It's the FAA (we're JAA here in Europe) but they've given the green light, pun intended :-)

FAA Issues Policy on Solar Projects on Airports | Federal Aviation Administration

Airports could power 100,000 homes if we covered them in solar panels | Euronews

Lot of roof space on airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Any national plan for national and secondary schools for PV solar? A no brainer in fairness.

Maybe it requires brown envelopes and the usual state awarded contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭idc

Can't recall but I think DAA might already have a smaller array on site. Thesse new panels are south of the airfield and the furthest possible point from the crosswind runway. Only installing ground mounts at the moment.

What a ****. The panels are not for use within the school, they are for the grid. 5000 schools in Ireland, so maybe the guts of a million square meters of unshaded school roofs nationwide, should be plastered with PV panels where appropriate / financially viable. Sounds like one of those rare uses of tax payers money where the money doesn't just disappear into people's pockets (RTE / children's hospital / Irish water etc.) but actually makes a decent financial return for the tax payer...

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

I'd be very confident the reason that company responded that it 'was stupid' was to get column inches and free marketing. So when people google it, their name comes up as 'an industry expert'. So they used the media to their advantage. Clearly it's not stupid, and any commercial solar company knows that. It's exporting a ton to the grid as you say when the schools are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

"If someone had even picked up the phone and called us we could have pointed out that that was the stupidest thing ever said,” said Maughan, whose company installs solar panels on the roofs of commercial customers and sells the power back to those businesses at a reduced price.

And there's his motive right there. It wouldn't be a hassle for the government to work out a deal with ESB and an NC7 cert for mid to large schools. Those schools wouldn't need to deal with suppliers or what FIT rates.

But that would go against this particular company. And his view was published in a national newspaper..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I love these grand broad sweeping statements like "Stupidest thing ever". No (real) clarification as to why it's stupid. Is it because they would be, by default, limited to NC6 export limitations or something else and if so, what? As mentioned easy enough to assign a couple of bodies in ESBN to cater for NC7 applicants from schools and your done.

The irony is that if you think of a school as no different as a company/business, one that consumes power, the lad is arguing against the whole premise of what his company is founded upon.

I don't normally like being negative, but sounds like a moron.

That said, when I think back to when I was in secondary school (mid 80's), I'd hope that efficiency has improved. Drafty old classrooms, old archaic heating system, lighting designed by Edison himself, etc. LOL! One hopes that modern schools are better. (No idea - don't have kids)

I hope he has achieved the opposite. Next time I'm asked for advice about installers I will tell them not to use Urban Volt or that other active company that likes the number 8

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

No battery nor heater included. I'd like to hope that all of the installs all eventually include a battery at least, otherwise its feeding into the reality of Urban Volt's statement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well schools will be closed for peak Summer production so can see the sense in just exporting...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

This is true. If they had batteries they could just set the max charge to 50% over summer and preserve their health. Then do night charging over winter if a lower rate is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

Schools would need a lot of energy I'd guess. That's ignoring heating which wouldnt be electric at the moment. Just the baseload for lights alone in a large school must use a few kW at a guess.

A 10kWh battery wouldn't touch the sides of it. So a decent FIT is likely worth more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Really depends on the size of the school, the national school that I went to is only a 2 teacher school!

Having 6kW is better than 0kW

Also would disagree on the batteries, it complicates things, and if everything was exported would be worth nearly €1000. (At 20c)

Also off the shelf batteries aren't really worth it if you have a good FIT.

Schools are also non domestic, so they would have a guaranteed minimum of 13.5c too.

Advertisement