Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave Denial

Options
  • 04-09-2022 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi, my first child is due at the end of the month, I've already applied for paternity leave in work but have been told informally it won't be approved. I'm not applying for paternity leave when the child is born as my wife's parents will be staying with us for a month and she is happy with the level of support then and wants me to take it at a later date. The date I applied for is within the 6 month threshold. The reason I was told it won't be approved is that the company I work for does not allow annual leave to be taken during this time and it would be inappropriate to allow me to take paternity leave then. I just want to know are they allowed to deny me these dates? Anywhere I've checked online does not mention the employers rights to deny the application if made in time. My application is well within the 4 week timeframe of notice that also needs to be given.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

They can only refuse it you are not entitled to it , same as maternity leave. Get refusal in writing. Something tells me they won't put it on paper. Make sure you follow all procedures for paternity including supplying them with copy of birth cert naming u the father and enjoy Ur time off. If they kick up a fuss nail them in the WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I've seeked clarification on if my application is not being facilitated through email and they kind of danced around the subject without outright saying no. It does feel like they are chancing their arm and hoping that I'll back down and change my dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Is this the hill you want to die on?

Can you be more flexible with your dates?

Your wife will have support for the first month (to be honest I would find people staying with me after the birth much more stressful than being on my own, but that's me)

She'll have found the routine that suits her.

Could you not take the leave after the annual leave embargo is up?

From the employers point of view you're waiting until they need all hands on deck to play "it's my right" to get this leave now card. Especially as the leave is not being taken at the time of birth. ....if the leave was taken at time of birth , I think you'd be more justified in fighting for it, even if it was during the embargo. However you're the one postponing leave (I know it can be taken anytime within 6months) until a time the company has rules against taking leave.

I'm sure if you kick up a fuss you will get it but would it be worth it?

Well tbh the dates we have chosen are the ones my wife has asked me to do , it suits my family best and I feel wrong putting works request above my wife's. I've made sure to given them over double the notice required for them to sort cover. I'm happy to be corrected if what I'm doing is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html#:~:text=Paternity%20leave%20gives%20new%20parents,when%20you%20adopt%20a%20child.

When can I take paternity leave?

You can choose to take paternity leave at any time in the 26 weeks after the birth or adoption. You need to give your employer notice that you want to take paternity leave and specify the dates you plan to take. You must do this in writing at least 4 weeks before your leave.

You must provide a certificate from your partner’s doctor stating when your baby is due, or stating the baby’s actual date of birth if you apply for leave after the birth.

If you are adopting, you must provide a certificate of placement showing the date when the child was placed with you.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've done all this and I've done a lot of research but I can't see anywhere that allows the employer to deny my my chosen dates. I am open to correction on this but I feel once I apply in time and provide necessary documentation it is illegal to deny me my dates?

Maybe Citizens advice can guide you to find that out .Reading that it looks to me like you can choose a date and they must honour it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Deeec

Would it not be a better option to change your wifes parents plans. You take your paternity leave when the baby is born - honestly this is the best option for you to bond as a family. Work is very unlikely not to allow you time off for the birth and those first weeks. Bringing home your first baby is special and life changing - it would actually be a pain in the ass having other people in the house ( even if you get on with them). I love and get on great with my mother but I actually found her really annoying and actually unhelpful when I had my babies as she is from a different era and the advice is different to when she had babies. Your wifes parents should come over when the baby is a month or 2 months old after you go back to work.

Your wife will need you in those first few weeks after birth - she doesnt need anyone else being honest.

It's not that you are doing anything wrong, you are technically correct and within your rights to apply for leave anytime within the first 6 months.

However you a picking a time when your company has an embargo on leave "because it's what your wife wants".

When we did antenatal classes we were told to close all doors and refuse visitors for the first two weeks as that's the most important bonding time for parents and finding your routine.

To me (as a mother who has survived this....as it is pure survival) it would make much more sense for you to take the time off work the two weeks following the birth and have the grandparents coming later.

Unless you have two spare rooms one for you and one for the grandparents you will not be fit for work the next day (especially by day 3) if your sleep is continually disrupted by a new born. It's tough, people joke about it but there's a reason sleep deprivation is used as a torture method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

In relation to your work, is it a case of a North Pole Elf looking for December off?

Can you interpret why your employer does not wish to have absences during this period, and share them here?

Yes, the law is the law, but sometimes an ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

PC is right. While you can force the issue, you need to get real here. You are the father and you really should be there for the first couple of weeks. Your Wife perhaps doesn't realise how much hassle she may be creating for you and your employer and she doesn't realise how much you will be needed after the birth. You should be there...not her parents. After the first couple of weeks, things become a little more routine. You should be making these decisions together and not allowing your Wife (who is likely very emotional and not thinking as clearly or as rationally as she might otherwise be) to put you in the bad books with your employer by choosing difficult dates they have banned for annual leave.

Stay Free

My wife is foreign and her parents are coming from abroad, everything has been booked and paid for so unfortunately it would be impossible to change, I'm also on AL around the time of the birth so if everything goes to plan I should be around for a period.

We do have 2 spare rooms fortunately and my wife is foreign and really wants to see her mother as she hasn't in years due to the pandemic. Flights and all have been booked. I'm around the due dates due to AL, I realise it could be born before or after but I'm fortunate to have a friend who is willing to swap shifts with me if needed as I've done similar for him in the past so I've no fear of not being around for this period.

If you want your PL at Christmas and it’s difficult for your employer I would be re thinking it and adjusting your time off . When is the baby due ? When are her parents coming ? Then if she goes over due you will all have to re think it

Sure, it is around this period, yes, although im still working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and the requested paternity isn't until after this so I feel like im doing my fair share and I've worked Christmas Day for them the past 5 years also, so I've no remorse about the chosen dates as my wife will be alone without family during this period and has spent Christmas Day alone for the past 5 years also.

I already have AL around this period so I should be there.

I have so much AL to use due to pandemic, I'm only working 2 weeks in October and November, so I feel significantly covered for the birth and I also have a friend I work with who is happy to swap shifts if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Augme

Don't bend to your employer. It's their job to be able to run a business competently and that involves being able to allow for leave all your round. Their are lazy businesses that will cut corners and refuse leave around certain busy times because they don't want to properly manage things. Don't reward their incompetence. Also, if it suited them, they shaft you and that's the reality of it.

Fair enough but I think then you could manage to shift the parental leave a week or two until it suits the work place.

So you're using annual leave at a time when parental leave should be used....if we follow the spirit of what parental leave is for.

Then using parental leave at a time when annual leave is forbidden by the company.

That's certainly calculated isn't it.

It's actions like this that ruin a good thing for everyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Surprised at the support for the employer here, are people such fools to think they're employer is so important as to put their job above the wishes of their family and new born baby that they'd bend to the employers demands, especially when required to honour the leave asked for, some people are spineless

Op do what you need to do to be there for your wife and baby, as another poster said get everything in writing and nail them in the wrc if they want to act the cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

You are entitled to take paternity leave , imho men are useless during the birth and subsequent few weeks when woman is nursing, more so when mother has a female support network i.e mother in law. Btw that's not my opinion, that's the opinion of virtually every mother over the last 300000 years 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

That's a pitiful way of looking at things, do you regularly put your employer above the needs of your family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Thanks. I was using the elf and Xmas as an example, but it is a coincidence.

Anyhow, is it possible to sit with the decision-maker and explain predicament and ask if ye could come to a solution that works?

No harm in asking them to "put your hat on".

Of course, you are legally entitled, if you wish to use that card.

They are forcing me to use AL before end of December or lose it, I've had AL cancelled twice this year by my workplace due to the pandemic they cited and I can't use it in December and have it taken for September, October and November. What else am I supposed to do? They also want me to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, St Stephens Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day, i'm the only employee working all these dates.

He is off for the guts of two months anyway around the birth so in my opinion could be a little flexible after that . If you read the post he is taking annual leave around the time of birth and then parental leave at a time when annual leave wouldnt have been sanctioned ? Well worked out as I see it .I had three babies when fathers had no leave and managed .While its brilliant now to have that support it is very do able and managable if he is a tad more flexible . Just my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Deeec

You work in hospitality don't you. Christmas is the busiest time of the year. Working Christmas is a given in hospitality and that's why leave isn't allowed at their busiest time. ITake all your Al and paternity leave before the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Augme

Paternity leave should be used anytime in the first six months. That's what people are legally allowed do. What the OP doing is perfectly legal, what his company are doing is illegal. Suggesting the OP is at fault and should bend the the illegal requests of his employer is absurd.

It's actions like that, that ruin employment conditions for everyone.

Well fight it so , the law is on your side.

Remind them of the leave that was cancelled.

Remind them of the shifts you're doing ....though don't know why all the premium days off around Christmas are falling on you.

See where it goes....some managers have goldfish memories when it suits them and a polite reminder can get you what you want.

• Advertisement

OP unless this is the only employer in town, take the time when it suits you and your family.

Your employer will get over it.

'It's actions like this that ruin a good thing for everyone!!'

Such begrudgery, shaming a new father for taking statutory leave when it suits his family.

Advertisement