Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Autism a lot more common nowadays or is it just discussed more?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Drog79

Absolutely, which is why the change of system recently is much better to sna per amount of pupils.

I've literally been in a room arguing that putting in a form saying my child can't feed at 10 is lies. And asking am I the only parent a form is going in for, penny dropping that I'm the patsy ( child does have issues but I'm not going to exaggerate).

We were one of those that waited, probably due to Asperger's and also with that level I believe age 7 was the timeframe best considered not too early or late. They may not have been in denial but trying to work out what was going on with their child.

Hmmm. If you're trying to have a baby in your late twenties/ thirties, you probably are keeping an eye on alcohol. However, I have read some material on male lineage cell damage with older parents related, must try to find.

Age is one factor definitely. However, I have taught a lot of children with autism who had young parents too. Maybe join the dots here, if you know what I mean.

Genetics definitely comes into play but be it conscious or subconsciously, present day humans are putting so much into their systems that is playing havoc with us.

Here is the male related study.

to be honest having been born myself to a 50 year old dad, I must admit being curious if that was passed down, and down considering we were only mid 20s having our kid.

Is it nature or nurture?

• Advertisement

I was about to say that- and let’s not forget people with autism and Asperger’s given the right encouragement (nurture) are often hugely intelligent especially in the area of maths and science - I mean streaks ahead of those who don’t have the condition

PS- is “condition” an appropriate word to use? I’m more than happy to be corrected here

That’s the question. Whatever about genetics we know that from various studies the use of chemicals and fertilisers in food and no less pouring toxic substances into water supplies and what not plays havoc with human life- there’s no reason to doubt that these same chemicals could alter the make up of human embryos and affect aspects of the subsequent child’s personality .

It's not medically accepted anymore. It's ASD now.

There are lots of autistic spectrum girls too - it's just generally more obvious in boys.

Mild autism could be the next step in human evolution. I mean it makes life a lot easier if you don't have to be guessing all the time what someone really means and just say it out straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's something like 1 in 4 people will have to receive treatment for anxiety or depression. It is very common. It's not people just feeling a bit down, it's people struggling with their mental health. And it doesn't help when people mock them or tell them that it's not serious.

Likewise with Autism, we have learned to diagnose more and it's become more acceptable. But only amoungst certain people. I am autistic but i mask it well. I probably only come over as a bit odd, but in a friendly way. I was diagnosed in my 40's. I still haven't told most of my friends or family. There's only a few people who know. No-one in work does. The reason I wouldn't mention it simply because people would act weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wezz

Your one experience is just that - one experience. I've worked with many kids and teens with ASD and some are shy and some are not and some are immature and some are not. They are as diverse in their personalities and quirks as everyone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

My wife and my 3 boys and 1 girl are high functioning autistic. It's like living in a Wes Anderson movie. My kids function outside, for the most part, but serious stimming when back in the safety of the house. Their symptoms are all different and their IQ range, again is different, going from 110 to 130+.

We've moved them out of a few private schools to public schools, because public schools have hands down the best facilities to care for them day to day. I know that having the diagnosis is the best thing for them. There's a difference between people knowing you're autistic and thinking you're a bit odd. People are a lot more accepting of the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Emotional regulation and black/white reasoning are very common on the spectrum.

OK didn't know that I thought Asperger's Syndrome, was a high functioning autistic. sorry if that offends anyone i do not know much about ASD

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think the big commonality for immaturity is more struggling social. I'm definitely on the milder end but the nature of things like masking and such. It just results in an individual struggling to get to grips with themselves, let alone with being as mature socially as others in their age group. I imagine it's easier if you're more aware of neurodiversity from a younger age though.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Autistic female here with an Autistic daughter. I was only diagnosed last year after my daughter. I was told during the diagnosis stage for my daughter that it is much harder to diagnose girls are they are better at masking their symptoms which certainly rings true for both my daughter and myself. My own family had trouble seeing what I could see in my daughter and even her school couldn't believe what I told them goes on behind closed doors at home as she is so quite in the outside world but once back at home all hell breaks loose. She's like a street angle, house devil. So much so my 2 adult children have left the family home. If she hadn't of been diagnosed she would have fell through the cracks in school as she's so quiet and doesn't engage in class. I myself have suffered with anxiety and depression for decades and I'm sure an earlier diagnosis would have helped me understand myself alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Goodigal

Mother of 2 boys with ASD diagnoses. Both totally different to each other. Oldest is your typical Asperger (before term was taken away) who at 14 only went on the school bus on his own for the first time this week. Afraid to be out without me and very happy in his own company, but also charming amongst family! Youngest son has more sensory issues with some stimming. But sociable. It takes some time to get a diagnosis so I don't think it's something parents take lightly.

I wish I knew why they have this - but I acknowledge how lucky I am that they're not on the severe end of the spectrum. Do I worry at night about their futures?! Yes. But show me a parent who doesn't.

But yes OP, I think it's become more prevalent and I'd like to know if I contributed to that genetically in some way. My age? Living environment? Their father? Good discussion to open up BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I don't think it has anything to do with the parents brain but more to do with their sperm and eggs.

I remember watching a lifestyle programme something along the lines of "is your lifestyle killing you?", it was on rte I think.

Anyway for the men they took sperm samples, the guys with heavy drinking patterns sperm showed signs of abnormalities , slow mobility and low count ..so if one of these sperm, although probably unlikely, fertilized the egg what would the outcome be like? After the guy changed his lifestyle they analysed the sperm again and got more normal sperm than abnormal.

I agree with you on the female drinking point.

I also wonder about recreational drugs (I've done zero research on this) but I remember in the 90's serious worry over ecstasy on the mental health of the user.... could it have impacted long term sperm and eggs?? Again just my uneducated theory.

In saying all that, these conditions have been around for centuries. It's likely children wouldn't have survived childhood and those that did ended up in institutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's no such thing as an autistic personality. Sure there can be common traits that some people share but they're not universal. I'm the life of a party. I'm a social butterfly. I like being around people and I love meeting new people.

So you saying that autistic people are socially stunted is really incredibly offensive. The simple fact that you'd say that about autistic people kinda implies that you have less social skills than me. Maybe you're the stunted one (see, it's not nice when someone says that about you).

If you know an autistic person, all you know about autism is that you know an autistic person.

Hell, even when it comes down to how you address it, there's differences. Some people prefer "person with autism", some prefer "autistic person". Others prefer Neuro-Divergent. There's no one behavior that unites all autistic people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You must travel in strange circles, I can’t say I ever came across parents claiming that for their child with reason in fact it’s usually the opposite! And since it takes more than one person to make a diagnosis, I wonder how you know they are wrong.

While I appreciate your situation, you need to understand the other parents are struggling to cope with their situation, which is also round the clock and you trivializing it is just as insulting them as the way you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think you are being very unfair. There is a huge difference in an autistic child that is non verbal, has no self care skills, cant go to mainstream school etc and an autistic child that has mild behavioural issues but leads a relatively normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My son has moderate to severe autism and ID. I know so many people including friends who's kids have been diagnosed in recent years, it has absolutely exploded particularly in boys. The real reason for it is because the clinical term has changed to ASD, Autism Spectrum Disorder so you have a very broad spectrum where many kids would score on it be it on social skills, language ability, learning disability or communication skills.

I can think back to some people I went to school with and they definitely would have a diagnosis today. I have a nephew with ASD and he would be completely different to my son, very what you would consider nuero typical in ability but he's very blunt and hyper and lacks the social skills.

The problem currently is the services just aren't there and its been exasperated by such a broad spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I dont think Jim is being unfair at all. He isnt saying there is not a difference, not at all.. He is saying parents are more likely to NOT want a label on their kid and often resist diagnosis.

I completely understand where you are coming from with the huge difference, and i deeply sympathize with your difficulties you must face, but your previous post that Jim responded to was written in a terrible way. It immediately gave the impression that you trivialized other peoples difficult experiences just because they are not as hard as yours, and your use of the word sicken gave it an intensely emotional judgement vibe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Deeec

I dont have an autistic child. I responded to Jims reply to Gusser 09 - If you look back over the thread Gusser09 explained the difficulties he faces with his son. I thinks Jims reply to Gusser 09 was very insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think it very unlikely there has been a rise in numbers, it's just a rise in awareness of it. It's like positing a huge recent rise in lesbianism, when it's really just a change in perception.

One can look back and see that many notable scientists who were socially a bit abnormal, were very likely to have had Aspergers - the list is probably very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

My son is 14 and has struggled in NS and now secondary school. Socially he gets one fine, to our knowledge in school. Sports mad and competitive in sport.

In forth class he was diagnosed with ADD, we could always see the lack of consideration, focus and organisation skills. So we watch and manage his work carefully.

Today after 3 years since ADD diagnoses we were told by CAMHS that he doesn't have ADD, they maintain he has ASD, Autism spectrum disorder.

There has been a change with the physiotherapist (retired) and a new physiotherapist reviewed his files.

We are shocked at the change in diagnosis and not sure where we stand or what to do. Six months before we are back to CAMHS.

Anyone experience or advice where with ASD?

Cheers

Advertisement