Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Autism a lot more common nowadays or is it just discussed more?

Options
  • 03-09-2022 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

A lot of people I know have a family member with autism. Only one or two are on the severe scale where they can't look after themselves.

On the other hand, it seems that any person who is a bit "odd" is now being labelled with autism. These are people who can't hold a conversation, say things that they shouldn't or know a lot about a specific subject. I know everything about Liverpool, does that make me autistic?

Comments

I know everything about Liverpool, does that make me autistic?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

There seems to be a trend to pathologically label and diagnose everyone now. Personally I refuse to entertain any diagnosis unless it’s been formally diagnosed by an expert in the field. Not that that’s infallible but a better start than some random moron who read a book on something and thinks they know it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I have a son who is severe. The issue is any child nowadays with something a little bit different from other kids has to have a label. Some parents would sicken you when they describe their child as autistic. Its an insult to those of us who provide round the clock care for true autism.

its diagnosed a lot more, certainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are very specific factors involved when diagnosing Autism.

Like a lot of things however I don't think there is more autism now than there was decades ago, just that we are able to diagnose it and treat it(to some extent).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

If you know that many people with autism then perhaps you should learn a bit about it.

Autistic behaviours were always there, its just that people with severe autism were thrown in a home and ignored and those with moderate or mild autism remained in the community and either had to survive or struggled.

Its a communication disorder that is usually genetically transmitted. It tends to run in families, including my own. There were older people I know, now passed, who were very definitely autistic but they weren't labelled because the condition was only recognised in the 1940s, 1950s and its really only since the 1970s and 1980s that there has been any form of regular diagnosis of people who have mild to moderate autism. And people who have it struggle, regardless of the grade of autism they have.

The original IQ tests were developed when mandatory education was introduced in France. And clearly nobody was diagnosed with a low IQ before IQ tests were developed. But people still had intellectual impairments. Similarly as the autism diagnostic tools have become more sophisticated, more people are being diagnosed. And because of those diagnoses they are being helped. Its the assistance which is the most important thing. These days, without a diagnosis, you won't get the assistance you need. There is no flexibility within the educational system. And there is no flexibility outside the educational system either - you need a Leaving Cert for pretty much everything these days. No more leaving school at 12 and working in a shop or in a factory.

I teach in a special class and there are definitely more cases of Autism now than ever. There are a lot of factors for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭dublin49

up to a few years ago the term Aspergers was used for people who struggled mostly with relationships and were socially awkward ,who generally were self sufficient but just struggled at life,that term is no longer used so everyone is now on the Autism spectrum where the range of challenges for individuals is massive.In my 60s now,when growing up there was about 25 kids on our block and clos to a hundred on the road and never remember anyone affected by autism back then.It does seem to be much more prevalent nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I too think there are a lot more people diagnosed with autism. Life was calmer, quieter and slower in earlier decades so people with mild symptoms were less troubled with the noise and bustle we experience now.

I would love to know what is causing the rise in numbers? Is it diet, environmental or probably a combination of things. There does seem to be a genetic factor.

There are so many levels of severity that a general diagnosis isn’t sufficient to determine how best to manage and treat a child or adult with the condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

You should know better. I have a son with autism and most outside our family wouldn’t be really aware. He can hide it. But we are very aware based on his behavior and the damage to our home over the years, especially in times of stress, the difficulty getting him to and through school, basic things like buying clothes and getting him to actually try them. Clothes that cannot have particular seams. But here you are deciding that all other diagnoses were of no value based on your own circumstances. You haven’t a notion what goes on in other peoples homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Years ago it went undiagnosed because people got labelled as a bit odd or strange

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

its a bit like mental health and depression. Every 2nd person (particularly celebrities) seems to be suffering with their mental health! It does a disservice to those who are genuinely suffering from mental health problems and depression. There is a difference between diagnosed clinical depression and feeling a bit down in the dumps or having a bad day/week.

Absolutely i am. I see the violent side to it every day and i have the bruises, bite marks and broken up house to show it. I'll stick by my original opinion. Its a sham of spectrum. Its an absolutely terrible disability. The fact that so many kids with mild issues are diagnosed has a detrimental impact on the kids who need more support and help. We are currently looking at care for my 16 yo.

The rise in numbers can be directly linked to the easing of criteria for a diagnoses. Its not a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I am sorry buy whe is true autism. Its like me saying you can't have Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus unless your in a wheelchair, incontinence, and many illnesses associated but I know that is crap. Some you would not know would have it and others need round the clock care.

I agree that more and more are getting too labeled to something and been prescribed stuff (this last bit seems to be changing). In saying that they is more information and less stigma now on it so we hear about it more

I agree to an extent. My issue is with the system. True autism have a look at this. Little johnny or jenny wanting all of their red crayons in a different pencil case isnt it.

https://youtu.be/l_nhwLGkC5Y

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The diagnosis criteria were changed significantly in the late 1990s. The increase in diagnoses from this is part of what fuelled the MMR nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The problem now is that there are too many "experts" who are creating a big cashcow for themselves.

The only difference between now and 50 years ago is that every tom, dick and harry is being funnelled through some university where they have to create some kind of income for themselves afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Kids with milder issues get zero support from the HSE. It’s the school system that picks up the slack. As many kids as possible are kept in mainstream school settings leaving special education settings for those who can’t manage in mainstream. Kids like my son might be in mainstream, however they need many adjustments and resources to make this work. All these kids no matter where they are are the spectrum deserve adequate resources put in place to allow them to reach their potential. After the economic crash resources were taken away from Disability services and education which to this day no government has undone this harm or even cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It’s an interesting question OP. I am a believer that there is more then one thing causing the increase

Friend of mine works in a psychiatric facility where most of residents are now quite elderly and have been institutionalised for practically their whole lives. Friend was saying if those patients were born today then most would be considered to be on autism spectrum. So one part of answer is that many were excluded from society in the past.

Then the diagnostic criteria were changed some would argue wrongly. However, there are adults out there who had a tough time in school and are now struggling with things like holding down jobs, relationships, managing day to day life etc that would meet the diagnostic criteria if they were kids today.

Life has changed dramatically in last 50 years. We have become more urban, life is nosier, light pollution which would all contribute to sensory overstimulation for many in the spectrum. Then add in dietary changes, environmental damage and pollution and what effect is that having on us at a genetic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Most defintely increase in incidence and while some increase can be attributed to better diagnostic process, it certainly doesnt explain implosion in diagnoses.

Variety of theories 're causes but not entirely genetic. Been in the sector for many years and began to see increase early 2000s. Disability services have deteriorated significantly since then, ironically as diagnoses increase. preschool and educational services do a terrible disservice to families, understaffed, poorly resourced and variability in quality of staff training.

Post edited by Liath Luachra on

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Drog79

Some of the opinions on here about the spectrum are horrific. We were privately assessed by multi functional team and the correct label is probably Asperger's which you aren't allowed use anymore.

However, this 'mild' diagnosis doesn't describe very academic and verbal whilst eating clothes and other things, not being able to toilet adequately at 10, special subjects alienating others and general agoraphobia. On top of constant arguing and rare physical aggression.

It's a hell of a trip even on the mild end, and we adhere to the temple grandin style where it's not an excuse for bad behaviour. It's such a hard road for any autistic parent, and worse for those at the toughest end of the scale.

Ah so there's only one type. Good to know you're the gatekeeper for all the medics diagnosing against your approval

Everyone getting autism assistance has been medically assessed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Deeec

It seems that nowadays if a child has any differences in behaviour at all they are diagnosed as on the spectrum. There is no acceptance anymore of the fact that everyone is different and has their own quirks - differences should be embraced not highlighted and labelled. I know several children who are supposedly on the spectrum but being honest I don't see why as to me they are normal kids. I have a family member who insists her son is autistic - nobody else in the family agrees with her and sees any unusual issues with the child. She doesn't even have a diagnosis for him but keeps saying he's on the spectrum. She's the problem not the child - we don't know what she is trying to achieve. I dread to think what damage labelling him as on the spectrum will do to his future.

As gusser09 said it takes away from those kids that are truly autistic and who truly need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

That's true. But in the same way many people now are just odd and strange, not necessarily autistic.

What factors would lead to increased incidents of autism? I'd have thought it is no more common than it ever was, just recognised now. Or perhaps over diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

"True autism" is a pretty disgusting term.. my 16 year old son just got a diagnosis recently. He can talk for hours about his topics of interest, but will actively avoid other communication, and avoid engaging with his peers. He had panic attacks when requested to speak in public (although his vocabulary and knowledge of topics is incredible). He has to be reminded to eat, shower, drink. Difficulty sleeping. I worry about his future constantly. He has anxiety issues and has self harmed. I worry about how he will cope, whether things become too much, hate seeing him stuck indoors but then scared when he goes walking by himself.

And then theres the next level of how his behaviour didnt seem as unusual to me. How i understand a lot if how he processes information. How i remember (and still fewl) the overwhelm when im in certain places, and how i generally feel on the periphery of life.. yeah so most likeky a diagnoses for myself, but i cant afford that. Pretty sure theres a fair few parents out there piecing things together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If those patients were born in 2000, some of them wouldn't have been institutionalised: they would have lived in the community, and been more likely to breed, so increasing the rate in the population.

Also, far more children are in institutional childcare from a very young age. Early-childhood teachers are trained to spot abnormal patterns, and suggest parents look for a diagnosis. So far more people at the low end of the spectrum are being diagnosed. Previously they'd have been educated at home until school age, and parents were able to tailor the education to the child's needs far more than is possible in group settings.

Advertisement