Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carvery Dinners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Some odd judgements going on, I don’t like carvery but a few years back on a building site a few of the apprentices were talking about going for a carvery on a Sunday afternoon, not together to be clear they were just talking about how they love going for a carvery on a Sunday which I thought odd for a bunch of 18-22 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Far from it, I am as working class as it gets. My point is that it’s better to prepare your own meals using fresh ingredients than eating slop that’s been heated under a lightbulb. The gravy has a skin on it it’s disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Carvery dinners are below me.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Always thought carvery is the kind of food that's not eaten for taste but rather purely for fuel similar to the food served to workers in communist countries.

The smell of the stuff in a pub is enough to put me off. Wouldn't consider the pubs that serve this kind of stuff as real pubs either. Always served in massive pubs with equally massive carparks to match.

I'd go for chipper or McDonald's/BK anyway of the week over carvery. At least chipper food is actually tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only the other say I was travelling across the country with a mate of mine and he suggested a place where they do a nice carvery. He'd be on the roads of Ireland a lot so knew a few places to get pub grub. I hadn't had one in years. Jaysus the portions were huge, but I couldn't whinge about the price. 12 quid all up. I was hungry so ate most of it. He'd be the kinda lad that would lick the pattern off a plate so he ate the lot. Actually it was tasty enough and filling isn't in it.

No way could I eat that amount of food in one go more than once or twice a year though. I walked out of there pregnant with a food baby and let's just say I haven't gone into labour yet... My guts aren't the better of it. Shocked into silence and I've barely eaten anything since.😬 Eating that kind of thing and at that quantity on a regular basis can't be anywhere close to good for you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm looking forward to Wibb's "debut" in the etiquette thread.😁

Are you telling me the carvery you ate was bigger than the dinners your parents used cook for you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Way bigger. Save for Christmas dinners and the like. None of my family were/are big eaters. Don't have big appetites.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If they are above you it makes them much harder to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

I loved the thread about the guy that found the goldfinch chick and raised it and it became part of his family. I get all nostalgic for the old days.

Oh yeah, I've asked for that before alright. Or of it's a proper restaurant with courses on offer I generally just have the main. Plus though I hate the idea of food waste, I don't feel the need to leave the plate clean, so will stop when I'm full up(growing up I never heard my parents say finish your dinner or anything like that. If I was full I was full and that was that). On this occasion I hadn't really eaten the previous day so figured what the hell, dig in. 😁 Though I did leave food on the plate. It was just more than I'd be used to on a daily basis and on a single sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was in O'neillss of Suffolk st a month ago and the carvers was gone, is it back now ? Used to be savage. Sinnotts at Stephen's green is another belter for a feed.

If you are around Suffolk St O’Neills is class.. or certainly was last time I’m there… being going there 12 years so imagine still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sorry I meant o'neills...end of July I was in and there was no carvery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Jackson hotel on Harcourt street do a nice carvery.

If you had a couple hundred blocks to lay or 40cm3 concrete to float you would be eating that carvery. Soft with office job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Haven't had one in years, you'd need a sleep after eating one for lunch and heading back to the office for the afternoon.

A good carvery is hard to find, it's real quantity over quality in most.

Strange, that carvery is going 20 plus years… was always popular, very well done, was always delicious and plentiful too….

very surprised as there used be very few drinkers there during the day, around 80% of the clientele were getting carvery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Doesn’t look like it’s going to be back… no mention of it on their site, no pics of it, nada… that was my ‘go to’ city centre carvery…. Really was excellent 🥺

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah jayus, I love the carevery dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not living in Ireland, I do miss a nice carvery dinner....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

😁 Yeah, probably, though my idea of hell is a cubicle tied office job. The problem these days with a few too many in "soft" office jobs is that they're not laying a couple hundred blocks, or floating 40cm3 of concrete, but are eating like they are.

Though as it turns out those actually working hard for a living are more likely to come down with type 2 diabetes than cubicle types. A condition that is very much based on eating the wrong stuff and too much of it. Exercise is the other major factor, but in people doing real work, where exercise is what they call "what we do on a daily basis pal", that's a lot less in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I can't imagine they travel all that well, but thanks for the offer!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I have to go into town on Friday to meet my cousin and decided to email the O’Neills management re the food options and in particular the carvery…

good news, it will be back, but in a few months… they are doing some sort of building works there apparently and will reopen after it’s finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The best carvery I ever had was from Madigan's pub in Abbey Street Dublin. It a big mountain of delicious ham and mushroom pie with mashed potato, roast potato and loads of veggies for around €12. I could barely move after it. A close second was the Glenside Hotel just before going into Drogheda. They had lamb shanks in rosemary and red wine gravy. My belly is rumbling right now just thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I love a good carvery drowned in gravy.

Advertisement