Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carvery Dinners

Options
  • 02-09-2022 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Are they still on the go? Hard to beat a good carvery when on the road and trying to make time.

Comments

Dunno what exactly a carvery dinner means these days, but I recently had something that looked a bit carvery-esque in the Poitin Stil in Rathcoole. I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If there's no cake involved I'm not interested

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yeah, plenty of Carvery Dinners if you know where to go. I've been to the Poitin Stil a few times and they do a Sunday Carvery there. There's Darcy McGees at Spawell in Templeogue. The Red Cow Inn does a Sunday Carvery as well. Just to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Always been a fan of a ‘good’ carvery

The Yacht, Clontarf

The Halfway House, Ashtown

O’Neills, Suffolk St.

O’Dwyers, Portmarnock

Nice to roll in there, get a big plate of grub, drinks and if room, dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has something happened to Boards.ie lately. We've had the re hash of the washing new clothes, shoe policy in your house, how often do you shower and now the carvery dinner thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The great reset?

Aongus Von Bismarck had strong opinions on carveries. Negative opinions. Describing a line of ugly overweight people queuing to be served up the same sort of food they could make at home if they weren’t so lazy.

Whatever happened to him I wonder.

I like em the odd time - it’s the 4 types of potatoes that seals the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Of course carvery dinners are popular. Look at the social media pages of pubs and hotels up and down the country. Any of the decent ones will be offering carvery dinners and with so much choice they have to push themselves to stand out from the crowd.

Its particularly handy when heading around the country on business to just pop in to a hotel or pub and get lunch or dinner sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I never liked carvery food. You can taste and smell all the other food from your dinner, probably because it's all contained under the same heat lamps. Plus the clientele who frequent these joints look like they've already given up on life.

That last line..

these joints are basically around 90% of the pubs in the country…🫢😂

” they have the given up on life look, they went to that pub and ordered the roast beef from the carvery “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Yep, still very common. Not to everyone's taste but it's hard to complain when you get a full plate of decent grub for €12.50.

Two great ones I can remember are the Falls Hotel, Ennistymon and Gullanes in Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

its good ballast

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Barrack Obama Plaza Carvery .. noms. I assume the other plaza group locations have the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

A carvery dinner is close to 20 quid a plate around our way in the pubs. Prices gone mad.

I like it the odd time. The meat and mash/roast potatoes always seem to be spot on but the veg is always shite.

Cheap frozen crap with no seasoning or flavour and just tons of excess water.

If they sorted out the veg it'd be perfect.

I concur on the prices, a lot of them have gone too expensive, a plate of food that you collect and bring to your seat.

restaurant prices in some cases…I think 11-12 euros is or should be absolute tops for a large plate….the only thing costing the pub money food wise is the meat, veg costs them feck all…

2-3 chefs, a server, maybe 2, …..lounge staff and bar staff are in situ anyway.

a pub near me must serve around 250-300 carvery dinners between 12 and 3. That’s a conservative guess.

if the average spend with drinks or dessert is 20 euros…that’s up to around 6000 euros a day and on Sunday double it.

guts of 50 grand a week…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

I agree with Angus. If you’re eating out, why would you choose a carvery ? I can do nicer at home.

As an overweight, no-oil painting myself, person, I wouldn’t comment on that aspect 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

People who get carvery dinners have given up on life?

In a very, very populated list, that is easily one of the most stupid, ignorant and downright illogical sentences i have ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Had a tasty carvery dinner in the Coachmans beside Dublin airport yesterday, delicious. They do it daily with lots of options and a half plate is only €10.50 but they pile it high so it might aswell be a full dinner. If you're in Dublin city O'Neill's on suffolk street do a lovely one daily aswell.

Love a good carvery.

was in the Coachman’s last week. Excellent grub, huge portions and superb staff… +1 for oNeills.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

I’ll try coachman’s when in Dublin next week, sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People seem to judge carvery food by the size of the portion rather than then quality. Most places serve cheap reheated food and pretend to have chefs working there when in reality they just buy tehnstuff in cooked and heat it up.

Best avoided in my opinion. I actually find a lot of pub food unimaginative. Outside of carvery it’s usually burgers, curry and salmon. Prefer to eat in local cafes and restaurants.

That generic menu you get in most pubs - chowder, wings, goats cheese to start, burgers, fish and chips, salmon, some sort of curry for mains is delivered from the back of a Musgraves truck each morning. Pretty much a reheat and serve operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Manowar, North county Dublin.

They do a carvery sandwich with chips for a tenner. It's the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moslo

Carvery dinners seem to have really shot up in price since the first Covid lockdown, they used to be €12.50 and now they are typically €16 near me. What's more, carvery counters and counter services were restricted during the pandemic and some never restarted after the restrictions were lifted which has meant less competition in my local town.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

We are just missing a “I found a safe in my backyard” thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I have a friend who loves carvery dinners. He’s one of those painfully middle class people who thinks paying fifteen euros for a cremated chunk of beef, potato lumps, and a ladle of chunky Bisto gravy makes him look “humble” and down to earth.

What does bring him down to Earth is when I point out that stuff is muck, and for the same price you can rustle up a much better “simple” meal, with just a few ingredients, for three to five people.

Honestly eating in any restaurant is a waste of time but particularly so when you’re eating shït food.

Ffs.

people who want to eat a carvery meal, want to eat out… not stay home and rustle up anything or clean up after.

carvery is muck ? It simply isn’t..

• Advertisement

Advertisement