Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a skin on frame canoe

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

Great job, well done.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Well done you she is lovely, when she is not on the water she will make a stunning light shade or wall hanging 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Well done, super job.

Get yourself some buoyancy bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I have a couple of ideas for additional buoyancy but want to see what it’s like to sit inside and paddle first.

They’re some inbuilt buoyancy at the stern and stem but it’s the bare minimum.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

😁 maybe I should look into it 🤔

• Advertisement

I have a suspicion that your current renovation may incorporate a little extra Beyoncé this time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kiwipaul

Looks great.I commented back in March and have just put the skin on today.I'm going to go with Lloyd's polyester resin and a blue topcoat.Hope I'm making the right decision.I don't know much about how these boards work and was going to post photos of my build.Seems like there are an awful lot of boat builds on here.Would there be any way of linking ours so that people looking for skin on frame construction would easily find both our builds?

No idea on the technicalities of boards to be honest, I’m at the limit of my abilities just keeping my own thread going!

I’d love to see how you got on with the build.

Unless you’re planning to try paint the inside (next to impossible to get right) then you’ll end up with a very different look inside to outside.

The common method is to dye the cloth before sealing. Does t seem too complicated from what I’ve seen, if I was going for a coloured skin I’d probably dye first, seal it as before and then do a topcoat for the exterior colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why not just add to this thread with your build?

As you only have 3 posts you probably can't posts photos yet but if you like you can message them to me and I will put them up for you 😉

• Advertisement

Absolutely, post them here if you wish, either through Fergal or I.

Hello again.Got a question about stretching the nylon..After putting it on,it was pretty tight,and when I went out the next morning ,it was drum tight.Is that temperature,humidity,etc.?Anyway,I'm very spooked about putting an iron on it.Is it necessary?.Do you have any tips,things to watch oot for?Did you use a steam iron etc.Thanks in advance.

I’d say humidity is definitely a factor.

What are you using for the skin? I used 12.5 ounce cloth and there’s no risk of burning through once it’s wet. Steam iron on full setting, 7.5 ounce cloth I think you drop the iron down to 2 dots.

Don’t bother trying to use the steam from the iron, just spray or sponge it with plenty of water.

It really is pretty easy to be honest.

Just about got my Indian Creek river canoe ready for the water.Thought I'd try to post some pictures here to see if,as a new member,they would go through.If so I'll get a build log together and post it with photos.

Very nice 👌 👍

That’s smashing, well done.

Beautiful work, well done

I had the official launch at the weekend on the local canal, I wanted to give the the Men’s shed the opportunity to come along hence the wait.

It’s a lot faster than I expected and it tracks very straight, the trade off being that it’s slow to turn when there’s 2 paddlers. With one paddler sitting in the middle it’s a lot easier to turn but prone to weathercock a bit.

Based on the weight of the paddlers and how it behaved I’d say it could handily take up to 250kg.

Stability with 2 paddlers is really excellent, less so with 1 so I’ll have some ballast if I’m paddling solo.

Overall I’m absolutely delighted with how it’s turned out.

Congratulations she looks great on the water, nice touch with the mens shed.👏👏👏👏

Looks great, well done

• Advertisement

Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Looks great. Fair play and happy paddling.

12k adventure today, managed to get it done in just under 2hrs, quicker than we expected.

She’s fairly quick but seems to have a speed limit, you can waste a lot of energy trying to go faster with little effect.

Really is a pleasure to paddle and you can keep it at cruising speed for a long time without getting tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, once you reach the hull speed (which is a factor of its length) it will take big energy to make it go faster.

@kiwipaul

I see your boat is up for sale, funding a new project I hope!

New project as in trying to raise cash to pay the stamp duty on a cottage for my wife and I.Fingers crossed!!

Best of luck with it, someone is going to get great value out of that boat.

Advertisement