Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you mark your ball with a line for putting?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yes

sure why do they even put a line on most balls and the putter, tis madness, some even have 3 lines on them, more madness

science is useless sure

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Yes

I have seen some pro's have prominent sharpie lines on their golf balls but don't use them to line up putts. Cam Smith being one. What are they using the line for??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Yes

I think some of them only use a line for certain putts, eg straight putts or putts inside 12 feet. Outside that, they don't use the line.

Cam Smith however:

"Smith has a sharpie line on his ball, but he doesn't use it in the traditional way. Instead of pointing the line in the direction he wants to roll the putt, Smith sets his ball down with the line parallel to the ground. This is a visual cue that helps him hit up on the ball and generate topspin on his putts.

While he may use the equator method with the line on his ball, he doesn’t always stick to it. As he explained after his Players Championship win in March, he’ll change it up if he feels like he needs to.

I go in and out of lining it up and not,” Smith said. “It just depends on how I’m feeling. Some days I feel like the line is straight. Other days my eyes just aren’t quite right, so I’ll just line it up with the Titleist (logo) and freewheel it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No

Padraig Harrington is another person who puts two lines on his

A green one and a black one in a plus sign

One is to make sure his putter is lined up parallel to the ball and the other is to line the putt

Advertisement