Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you mark your ball with a line for putting?

Options
  • 02-09-2022 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Are you pro line or anti line?

Do you mark your ball with a line for putting? 60 votes

Yes
    46%
    RoadRunnerdaithi7spacecoyotefrinkredzerdrogcoillcamikePar72Miley ByrneDonkeyPokerTourfearruanuaslingerzCitizenpainBeaulieupatsatTin_Cupbenny79plumber77LostArtwillabur 28 votes
    No
    53%
    slave1GreeBoAkrasiaDuckSliceWaesfjordSeve OBtrigger26bakerbhoykev_s88callaway92gypsy79almostoverboccy23whizbangbig_driveInnish_RebelThe Big EasymiltonkrestPARlancesrfc d16 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭boccy23

No

Tried it but felt I lost distance control. Too much focus on hitting the line I think. So went back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

No

I don't use any alignment aids. Sometimes like a pix or something that shows you a true roll of the ball.

But lines and guys hunkered down fluttering around trying to get it just right is not a great look.

The point you highlight about trying to get a ball to settle in a spot is a common issue for guys with lines, but not if you don't, you place it in front of your marker and play it from there, no problems.

But if you want to use one that's fine as long as it doesn't unnecessarily slow the game down any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Yes

I always do it and my putting has improved dramatically since i started doing it last year. I was the worst putter you will ever see but it’s become a strength of my game now. Once I have my line sorted, the only thing I’m focusing on is tempo. I’m not good enough of a player to keep focused on the line and the speed/tempo. I assess my putt, settle on the correct line, set the line on my ball up against something I’ve picked maybe 6 inches in front of me that’s on the line - light/dark patch of grass etc - and then I’m ready to go.

The way I’ve explained it it sounds like I spend 5 mins over every putt but my routine takes no more than 30 or 40 seconds. I’ve become comfortable with my putting now and once I get the speed of the greens I don’t dwell. Pick the line, set the line on the ball against my target, 2 practice strokes for tempo and hit the putt. I couldn’t go back to putting with no line on my ball, it would completely throw me on the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,812 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No

Used to do it ...but it is too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Yes

Yes but only with putts I expect or hope to make if that makes sense. For long putts I don't bother with it much. But anything inside 15 feet ish i would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No

I just use the line where the ball says ProV1 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

No

I use the line on the ball but other than that I don't mark it in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

Yes

Yes

I line the line up with the line I want to set the ball out on. Practise stroke look at hole. Putter behind ball and pull the trigger takes 2 secs and improves your putting imo.. All you have to worry about is pace..

No

I haven't seen anyone doing it in 2 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No

I said no but………. I would use the default lines or names on the ball to set it down on a rough line to send her off on (not always though)

I do mark my golf balls with a green (or maybe blue, depending on the sharpie in the golf bag) line under the ball manufacturer name. It’s a rough line, more for identifying purposes, but I guess I might use it as above

if you are going to draw a line on a ball for putting, it really must be a perfect line so you gotta have one of those little gizmos to get it spot on. a short enough putt of say about 3 foot should be easy enough to stick down quickly and hit the line it’s on.

The problem I see with using lines on balls for alignment though is that for longer putts of say over about 15 foot, you have to spend way to long getting the lie of the ball so accurate because even a couple of mm out of line will result in maybe a couple of feet on a 25 footer by the time it gets to the hole.

I don’t have regular playing partners in my home clubs so play with plenty of different golfers. I don’t think I play with anyone who relies on a perfect line for putting so they are all pretty quick in getting their ball down to hit. Actually I think I only know one person who takes his time doing this 🤔😂🥹

I agree with Fix, it slows things down to much (though I don’t have a problem with others doing this as long as we are keeping up with group in front)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

No

I may put it (logo) at right angles to my spot a few inches ahead of ball. Orientation of the logo/any other line is secondary to line on putter to aim spot out from ball.

Most of the time it's ball down anyold way . Line putter to aim spot, align feet and body // then fire. Most of the puting is then about speed.

Yes

Putting is probably the slowest shot of the hole unless you stitch it! Regardless . I have my balls marked before round commences. I pick my line and line the ball line with it and putt.. I dont think it takes long at all.. Definitely within the 30 secs your allowed. Plus you have lads that look at the ball form all angles which take way longer! Plus I mainly do it when playing partners are taking their putts.

Dont forget "you drive for show and putt for dough" 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Yes

Does the line ever bother anyone? As in, say, you hit a drive & have a wedge into green -but you cant touch the ball and the line is off fractionally. Can it do more harm than good to anyone?

Yes

I honestly don’t know how anyone can be confident in their putting if they’ve no visual aid to help them with their line. A bigger percentage of pros use lines than you’d expect, marginal gains in putting can make a huge difference to scores and for me it’s a no brainer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No

No from me, I can't putt straight so what's the point, plus it takes time and I've one guy I play with that just flaps around getting it perfect every time and it's annoying to see. Okay for the pros who do it off camera, whatever happened to our 40seconds to take a shot.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭coillcam

Yes

The golf balls I use generally have a small alignment aid that is sufficient for my needs. If I use another ball without that line, I 100% add one to the ball. My putter has a line on it (2ball w/decals). I believe the lines match up quickly which gives me confidence and I only have to think about the stroke speed/length.

While I do think the lines assist with my average green reading ability. I still have around 3 putts/round where I can't get a read or appear straight. Generally, they're inside 6-8ft and very frustrating to see them go the opposite way 🤣. No amount of alignment aids help here, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Yes

Voted yes.

For longer putts which I don't expect to drop I place the line perpendicular to the line of the putt. This is just to give me good reference for starting line.

Within 8 feet I will point the line at the hole or the target. I don't waste time with it. Try to manage my expectations instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Yes

Interesting question. Looks like I'm the slow guy around here! I do it for all putts especially the longer ones. Setting it off on the right line can make a huge difference to the length of the second putt.

I take a bit of time over putting, probably more than most. Like to think though that I make up for it everywhere else. Nearly always first to the next tee box. Make sure that my bag is on right side of the green. Don't take any practice strokes on tees or approach shots. Walk to next shot without delay etc.

No

In general you can do what you want ...and I guess we will all have something in our game someone will see differently.

Just keep in mind , if people are taking 30 seconds for each putt as amateurs , your in for a painful day on the greens.

You see people marking like putts under 12 inches - incredible stuff.

Another big problem are ...some people with longer routines will not start anything in anything, until it is their turn ...mad stuff.

In general golf remains way way too slow.

Whilst I love him as a person , like of what Harrington is at , is a disgrace and this has become the norm in pro golf and has poisoned the minds of amateurs.

Was their a stat using line doesn't help recently.

Anyway...30 seconds for each putt is mad stuff..

Yes

30 Sec is max your allowed Fix. doesnt mean you are going to take 30 sec. I do most of my work while others are putting and is mainly for long putts 10 to 15 feet are obviously much quicker again..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No

Agreed, I generally ask my playing partners do they mind if I line up when they are putting, I only do so if well out of their line and line of sight. Keep it lit!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yes

for the tedious on here, I don't put a line on the ball if it has one, otherwise yes 😐️

Further you are from the hole more important it is

Takes about 10 seconds and can easily be done while others are putting etc

Way harder to line up a putter looking down on it than a ball from behind looking at the hole, so less prone to mistake

No

I'd say some amateurs are taking longer than 30.

As they do a 360 walk.

Check from back and front

Place ball

Fix the line placement.

Take another look from behind

Take a few , yes a few practice strokes

Miss

Mark from 15 inches.

Then do (maybe not entirely but do same again for a say a 15 inch putt.

I'm a golfer - get me out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No

You probably dont use a line in any other sport, so why would putting be different?

Snooker/Pool, darts, bowling, tennis, curling, hell even throwing something is all setup and hand-eye coordination.

Yes

Why would you use a line for aim in any of those sports? You’re looking down your line of site, so using any sort of visual aid would be totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No

Just place the ball down and drain it... Or three putt. Either or.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No

Well I dunno how you throw, bowl or play tennis, but if you have the ball down your line of sight I'm pretty sure you are doing it wrong!

Lining up with that level of (perceived!) precision is getting you out of art and into science. Putting isnt a science, all that alignment is just time-wasting that really makes no difference, kids dont do it until someone tells them to and kids usually putt better than adults as they are just reacting to the task.

Look at the target, look at the ball and hit it at the target without delay imo. All that faffing about just increases the chance of you missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Yes

always use the line and then pick and intermediary point for it be aimed at. Then it's all about pace.

Iv had to teach myself to trust the line as sometimes when you stand over the putt the line looks off target. But if I then adjust the majority of the time the original line was correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

No

Have never marked it for putting. i would be too picky making sure the line is perfect and then when you stand over the ball it could be different. Plus i think its just slowing the game down. I see guys taking ages to line up the line and then they hit a putt that's a mile off.

I have seen recently on Instagram claiming that the line on the ball when you purchase it is the sweetspot line? I'm a bit skeptical about it. Anyone ever heard of this?

Advertisement