Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Galway a City in Decline?

Options
  • 30-08-2022 11:29am

I've lived and worked in galway city for nearly 17 years, it was a great city but I feel it has declined majorly since covid lockdown. I know funds have probably not returned to pre covid levels but a lot of these issues should be easily resolved.

The city center greets tourists with Romanians who have setup camp right beside where the trains and busses drop people off, walking past the area in the morning last week i saw one taking a dump in the hedge at the bottom of eyre square. At the top of eyre square the drunks and junkies congregate often staggering into traffic. There is constantly a smell of urine around the city which is made worse by the hot spell and lack of rain.

At night it's become a very noisy city, since reopening after covid nearly every pub now has a beer garden with live music or a DJ. There are lots of airbnb party houses that party until 5 or 6 six in the morning. Every night from about 11 onwards there are lads racing up college Road and back down botharmore.

There is very little to draw people into the city anymore except to go for a walk and a cup of coffee. A lot of major retailers have closed or moved out to the retail parks. For a city that wants to reduce reliance on cars they appear to be going about it the wrong way.

There is a possibility I'm getting cranky as I get older, i'm just wondering if anybody shares the same views or am i on my own on this. /rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is evolving like all other cities, as retail moves online. Population is visibly increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

No you are very correct Galway city has really lost its shine and relies heavily on the arts festival & the races to convince people its a fab place . The decline has been happening well before Covid. It needs to lose the festival party city and return to the artistic city i grew up in famous for the music & arts but once you allow people to drink to drunkenness and hail that as success you ruin a place. I have watched drunk women with pints in hands weeing on the street it has truly descended into a kip like a stags & hens city . I never go into the city, i go to Limerick for shopping it far nicer & just down the motorway . Its nothing to do with your age you have known Galway as I have in much better times and much more cultured times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The Judges & Free Legal Aid solicitors of Ireland have a lot to answer for !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been here for 15 years.

The Roma were here when I arrived: different faces, same niche ( remember Johnny Wronglegs?)

So were the drunks. Drugs are a bit worse.

Rag week, the city was an absolute zoo, its now tame. Ditto Race Week. Even Paddy's Day, the guards now stop the offies selling before the parade and this has toned the whole day down hugely.

Outdoor "dining" and associated street noise are definitely more prolific, but our activist friends tell us that's A Good Thing.

Seagulls are far more populous, larger and as a result getting hit by their shyte is more common in spring.

Public transport is vastly better: we have bus shelters, online timetables and the motorway enabled 2.5 hour express buses to Dublin.

Theres now a Fringe Festival alongside GIAF. Westside now has an arts festival. Merlin Woods has a Friends group, who've stopped the council bulldozing a road thru it.

GMIT is now a university, not just a tech.

The Crown site now has buildings on it. So does Bonham Quay. And the Garda regional HQ site.

There's no crypto in the water now (AFAIF 😉 ) Or lead in the water pipes.

Very little is perfect, or even as good as it "should" be. But overall it's better.

I reckon you're just getting grumpier!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How do you know what the city is like, as you say yourself you "never go into the city".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Anymore, for entertainment i have been in there for a few dental & medical appointments but other than that i dont go there to socialize or to go to the city centre its ugly and over populated .

I'd agree that there have been quality of life improvements during my time here but usafe levels of faecal matter in the drinking water and bus links that were slower than walking probably fell well short of minimum standards that a city the scale of galway should have been achieving anyway.

I suppose what I'm getting at is the charm and culture of the city has been lost. Cezanne has pointed out the city has changed from a tourist city to a city for going on the lash. They attract two very different type of people.

Outside of people's purpose for visiting, the city itself appears to be in decline. There appears to be no enforcement of laws and the council do not appear to be spending money where its needed.

Ugly? From an architectural point if view or? When, for you, did it become ugly. You mentioned it should go back to a previous time when it was arts focused, when would that have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I agree it's gone downhill.

Lockdown was a disaster - town got a lot rougher, which seems to have kept going even after lockdown.

It has gotten too expensive to rent in the city so a lot of people have moved out.

Chocked full of tourists.

On the way to becoming a 'West of Ireland City' theme park imo.

Tourism numbers would suggest the city is very much a tourist city. There's no denying it's also a destination for stags, hens, parties etc. They bring much needed revenue to the hospitality sector, keeping students etc employed.

There's no doubt that Garda enforcement around begging and 'down and outs' could do with improving but at the same time the courts do nothing to help so Gardai, rightly or wrongly, leave them to it unless something serious happens.

There were always drunks and beggars when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s. The city was sampler then, you didn't really go back West unless you were older. Now we've a thriving area of the city, which has numerous arty things eg Just Art It, events in Áras na Gael, Tartare and lots of the other cafes/bars down there. The addition of great restaurants and bars too which weren't available to us previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I agree with the op, the city is taking a downturn, homeless all over too even outside Lynches Castle/entrance to CP's ex nightclub, next time your in take a look at the ground, needs serious powerwashing & while you are at it, look above eye level the absolute state of some buildings above eye level is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Braserrie on Corner and McSwiggans closed on Mondays and Tuesdays..think its due to staff shortages guess will see alot of places closing due to power costs being so high now as well

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

McSwiggans seems closed more than open anytime I pass it. Completely off topic, but sure look!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lots of places have been closed on Monday or Tuesday since Covid.

Closed both is new, but town is noticeably quieter this week (after a busy weekend) so it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I went to college in Galway in the 1970s. a quiet city then. Then it took off. Became the destination of choice for visitors, was particularly celebrated by the Dublin media. The arts concentration really helped its image. Became the place to go, for myself included. Loved Kennys, Charlie Byrnes's etc etc. The relocation of Kenny's Bookshop was a major disaster for the city. It was the place to go to, regardless of whether one wanted a book or a piece of art or not. Recently, Galway City has become a far less attractive destination imo for a variety of reasons.the city should have subsidised them to stay in the city, if that was allowed or permissible. Many business seemed to become complacent, seemed to believe that the good times would roll regardless of the 'dour manner' many of them presented to customers. as a German friend of mine remarked many people in Galway spoke of culture but only Galway only provided a culture of drinking. Other destinations in the west of Ireland, particularly Westport and Ennis meanwhile improved dramatically. Getting into and out of Galway city became a real headache. Many people put up with the traffic annoyance for a few trips, then one thought , 'it isn't worth the hassle', and went elsewhere. Many people still visit Galway because of the great reputation it built up over the last few decades but if the city doesn't deal with its current problems I don't think they will continue to. similar to a previous poster, I now go to Limerick rather than Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 veloci

"The city center greets tourists with Romanians who have setup camp right beside where the trains and busses drop people off, walking past the area in the morning last week i saw one taking a dump in the hedge at the bottom of eyre square."

I think you mean Roma. I've worked with several Romanians in Galway and they've all been highly educated and socialable people - a great addition to the community and economy.

Apologies you're correct Veloci.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Disappointing that some of the old gems like Griffin's Bakery is gone and McCambridge's just sold. A bit strange that a destination city has lost its nightclubs. Loam and Tartare closing (Loam being just for winter) hurts the foodie drive the city was on. The pubs still seem to be class and for the most part the city still seems to be pretty chilled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Yeah that is sad. I have great memories of Galway in the early 90's. News at Ten, Lydons Restaurant, and the two branches of Buck Rodgers takeaway. I can just about remember the Galway shopping centre when it was unroofed, and the original Smiths toys shop before they moved to their current location on the Headford Road as well. Of course before the Omniplex and Eye Cinema there was the Claddagh Palace and Town Hall cinemas. The latter one was a proper dump though.😁 Yeah the 90's version of Galway was my favourite.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Similar thread now on Cork!

• Advertisement

The Ominplex cinema i'm referring to, is what's now known as the IMC cinema on the Headford Road. I didn't know that there is actually a cinema in Salthill called the Omniplex now. Naughtons on Shop Street was another memorable shop from that era, along with Raffertys on Maingaurd Street. I think Galway has lost some of it's original charm and character, but that's happened to most other places as well really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Claddagh Palace was class. The old style theatre staircases on both sides. I remember it very well. I remember the original Smyth's too. Tiny compared to what is there now. News at ten was great as a kid too but to be fair. The council should get off their hole and put the permanent surface on Shop St. It looks awful.

Nowhere near as bad as the previous cobbled attempt. At least there aren't sections completely flooded on a regular basis now.

News at ten was a great place for browsing through the magazines. It had a nice pick and mix sweet section as well. It was also the only shop in Galway i think, who'd order in regional newspapers from around the country for you as well. It's a real shame that it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

News At Ten was actually two shops, News At Ten and Sweets at Twelve. They both joined up at the back.

What was stuck in the middle can anyone remember? I think it might have been Heatons?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The long queues winding along Nile Lodge to try get the best seats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

if you were a tourist after visiting,i wonder how many would return(expensive and far better places to go in europe).

quays irish stew 12 euro at lunch and 18 an dinner,same stew!

A galwegian

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

That's it 👍

News At Ten must have been Heatons previously so.

Sweets At Twelve used to be something like Blackrock Shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

One of my favourite cities in Ireland to travel to, always enjoyable and the people are generally very nice and hospitable, if a little over zealous on pricing around festival time.

Cities evolve and change all the time, enjoy them for what they are. Aesthetically as a citizen you should have a direct input into the development of its' infrastructure and buildings. How or who populates it is out of your control, you can only suck that one up.

But it is a great city with lots to offer, I always look forward to spending time there.

Advertisement