Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is getting married the most stupid thing you could do?

Options
  • 28-08-2022 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭

I have yet to figure out why anyone would want to get married. I think a huge percentage of marriages are because its the done thing rather than something people really want. Chances of it lasting especially these days aren't great in my opinion. So out you go from the nice house into a small apartment. Plus you have to stick with the same person for the rest of your life. I meet women most days that I fancy, if I was married I couldn't go on a date with them or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I can see why marriage would be a convenient investment in some places. However, I also agree with you that in the majority of cases it is a done deal because of obligations and expectations. It wouldn’t be for me unless there was a huge benefit in it.

To me the whole “marriage for love” argument makes no sense, but each to their own. Let them be happy until reality hits.

I've been married 5 times and I'd recommend it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Get some more life experience. We lived as a couple for half a dozen years or so but once we decided that we'd have children, we got married. It makes things a whole lot simpler legally as regards many aspects of life going forward with children, if you are married. That'd be the principal reason to get married, doesn't have to be in a church - a registry office or similar suffices fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Asking myself the very same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,766 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can't be worse than sticking a light bulb your aras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Is getting married the most stupid thing you could do?

As a man, Yes.

Close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Only if you marry the wrong person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It's just hassle. If your partner decides to become abusive/cheat you have a whole pile of legal wrangling to go through before you can shoe them out the door. You'll be there in a desperate situation probably suffering from depression and you'll have a bunch of fat cat solicitors swooping in to take your money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

my rules are no marriage, no kids and separate houses. Then if and when we split, we can walk away without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just before we close it I'll quote comedian Bill maher when he was asked by eight-times married Larry King why he had never taken a trip down the aisle:

"Larry, marriage suits a lot of people. They're called 'women'..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

For a man? Yes.

Woman? No.

"Equality".

Ah, the stock thread for the woman haters. All of the men who have been married for decades are an inconvenience for them, so let's create this fantasy world where every man ever who gets married is screwed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭combat14

that seems to be about the only safe way to do it now a days .. prenups arent worth the paper they are written on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Marriage = "From the nice house to the small apartment"?

Only if you are living with Mammy up to your wedding day, presumably.

Weird thread tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I'm 10 years married.

Looking forward to dancing the funky chicken at our 50th anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

To me the whole “marriage for love” argument makes no sense

Think he means in the case of break-up...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Me too, I made sure I had a child with each of my ex husbands too. So now I have FIVE houses! I'm going to retrain as a teacher so I can work for 2 months a year and spend the rest travelling around the country to each of my houses, life will be like a permanent holiday.

I'm currently on the look out for lucky number 6, a wealthy man with a nice house in either Galway or Sligo.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It's an obsession for some here. Seems like protesting too much tbh. I think part of them envies the life of contented married couples.

Not that there's anything wrong with the single life, but if that's the path you're happy with, you wouldn't keep going on about it, and about how those who get married are such chumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The main question I have, you might meet women everyday you fancy, you might want to go on a date with them

Kind of falls apart when they tell you to get lost :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah it's the ones who can't get a girlfriend, let alone a life partner, who have the strongest opinions about marriage.

My partner and I were together for 12 years before we got married and a further 4 years until we had a baby. We plan to be together the rest of our lives so marriage was easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Wezz

So many bitter blokes on boards it’s actually quite sad. I know a fair few divorced couples and they both came out of it ok but with a few lessons learnt. In all cases the marriage ended because the bloke acted up but thought he’d get away with it. As for myself I’ve no interest in getting married and luckily in a relationship with someone who feels the same way. Not against it or afraid of it or think my girlfriend is out to fleece me, just don’t see the point anymore in it.

Some lads who have this view might be pretty young. Waiting until older might help. My brothers were nearly 35 and 39 when they met their now wives (31 and 35 at the time). 13 and 10 years on, they're so sweet and lovey dovey together.

My uncle started going out with his wife when he was 46 and she was 38. They're in their 60s now and hold hands. They also look younger than their ages.

Companionship is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Im a man...married to another man...does that make me doubly stupid!? :)

Happily so btw, we plan on being together forever so made sense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Shallow hal wants a gal

Only to people who hate women or men (women mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Since you quoted me: I don’t see why “love” would be a reason for marriage. At the end of the day it’s nothing but a legal contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The cold hard reality of the dazed and confused high school girls meme.

If those high school girls didn't like you in school why would they like you when you are still you and now their dads age and older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

With the way personal taxes and State pensions are assessed in this Country, staying single is the stupidest thing you could so.

And I say that with all due respect to those too ugly to bag a spouse.

Advertisement