Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew Tate

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I skipped ahead and heard allegations of loaded questions and the old things out of context canard.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It looks like he lives in a poundworld Batcave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

They seized his Batmobile but he still has his Batcave.

The interview was a car crash. She only discussed the allegations against him and brought up snippets from old podcasts taken out of context to make him look bad, but never once asked how the poor chap got on in jail. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Utter bastards at the Beeb, taking stuff like "my job was to meet a girl, go on a few dates, sleep with her, get her to fall in love with me to the point where she'd do anything I say, and then get her on webcam so we could become rich together" out of context.

I wonder how many of his girlfriends got rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

To be fair, Andrew Tate has had his moment. He's pretty boring in and of himself. Once he's gone, there will be a glut of similar characters to fill the void.

The interesting question is why young men turn to fraudsters like him. Is it a normal need that a certain proportion of young lads always had or is there something about the current age that pushes some men into the arms of the Andrew Tates. And whatever the answer is, how do we address help those young lads so they don't fall prey to these characters.

I certain know the answers. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The promises of sex, money and a lavish lifestyle.

Years ago chancers like this lad wouldn't have had the platform but nowadays the platforms are there if you can tap into the usual human emotions/desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭maik3n

I'm just waiting on our hallowed leader Elon, to post a tweet shouting TATE DESTROYS BBC!!!! in ambush interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Social media algorithms massively amplify the likes of that twat

In a more rational world he'd be making videos in his mammy's basement to an audience of three followers, one of whom has keyboard face from falling asleep

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Is he still ducking Jake Paul?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I do not think there is any one answer to how to protect young men from turning to such frauds. If we manage it - it will probably be through a holistic and multi pronged approach.

I guess the first prong of such an approach would be to promote in any way we can - more wholesome role models. So that even if there are frauds like Tate they are against a wider backdrop of better choices. Like them or loathe them - podcasters like Rogan, Jokko and even Blindboy are role models for young men that are not toxic and promote messages not likely to lead men to bad places in their lives.

A second prong I guess is to do anything we can as a society to alleviate the pressures of modern day life on parents. So that they have more time and resources to put into actually parenting. Some local problem kids - and they really were a problem to the point of even physically accosting and intimidating little old women for lolz - near me turned around when I stepped in and started teaching them to be "Jedi" (sorta). They ultimately were not bad kids of "irredeemable" as some locals described them. They were just lost. Now they are absolute sweet hearts to be honest.

But the rise of Tates and Petersons and so on does show that there is a definite need and a desire there. It's feeding into some hole in the lives of young men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Which makes your defense of the Happy Pear Twins on another thread all the more inexplicable.

The who? I strongly suspect you have me mixed up with someone else. I have no idea who or what a Happy Pear is? I do remember a rather comical Terry Pratchett line about someone having a face like a Happy Apple. Is that in any way related?

"Nanny stood up and tried to look haughty, which is hard to do when you have a face like a happy apple." - Terry Pratchett.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Apologies, I meant to quote the poster you were replying to.

Oh good good. You can probably go back and edit the quote.

I was worried there for a minute I was losing my mind. If I go google who or what you were talking about - am I going to hate you? :) Straight away from the name alone I am suspecting Vegans/Vegetarians are in play? Vegan I most certainly am not given the sheer quantity of meat I eat and I even catch and cook wild rabbit and my garden currently contains the geese we will be eating for Christmas which we have named "Succulent" and "Tasty Bean". :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In terms of protecting young men, education is the obvious answer. I think we need to introduce some form of philosophical elements to our education as well as debating. It's essential that people are taught how to recognise bad faith and fallacious arguments. With the advance of AI, the current problem of disaffected men is only going to get worse and it never ends well. 

On top of that, we've seen the complete collapse of traditional collectivist institutions. The Church molested children around the world and, here in the UK the trade union movement was largely wiped out. While institutions can reach a certain lifespan, if they're serving a genuine need, they need to be replaced. Materialism and social media are poor substitutes.

We've also witnessed the near total destruction of opportunities for these young men. There's no point in sending them to University if the wage they'll be earning afterwards won't give them any quality of life. Housing is now a luxury for only a few or for couples who forgo having children unless there are rich parents with chequebooks on hand. Another primal need going unmet for too many.

Finally, I think we need to regulate social media firms. They've been editorialising for years now, pushing the most extreme, hateful content possible leading to the running amok of the various grifters like Rogan, Peterson, & Tate. I've no idea how but they ned to be made to take responsibility instead of profiting massively while employing a skeleton crew and paying no taxes.

There are no quick fixes but there are things we can do to address the way things are going.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Joe Rogan is anything but benign. If anything he's more pernicious because his racism, homophobia and misogyny are more subtle.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Think "if Jedward did grossly overpriced vegan catering". 😮

It must be subtle if I can listen to countless hours of his content without noticing or spotting any of it. I certainly disagree on many topics he touches - but that is only natural. I think he is quite often simply wrong on many things. Sometimes amazingly wrong. But I have yet to hear anything that fits your description here. Nor have I heard anything hateful or extreme either.

No one is perfect but from the content I have heard over the years I think young men listening to Rogan are much more likely to be influenced in a positive way than listening to someone like Tate. And if you were to place these media types on a continuum from perfect to horrific - then for all his many many flaws I would suspect even J.Peterson lies much further along the continuum towards Rogan than he does Tate. Young men could do worse than listening to Jokko too.

That is all from a very limited knowledge of Tate though. I know very little about the guy save what I have picked up by following this thread. Which really is not much but probably more than I care to know already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think Rogan is more naive than anything else having the creator of the proud boys on saying there is no such thing as racism, having Alex Jones on when he was being sued for the school shootimg conspiracy theory, and having a number of vaccine conspiracy theorists on. He listens to everyone and that makes him great but he does have some oddballs on and would field them easy questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Have to laugh at the people on here cheering on him being censored on all platforms...its no wonder society is the way it is people havent the common sense to see how dangerous it is having the ability to "ban" some one off everything who are the people deciding whats "Good" and "Bad"?

Cancel culture is ridiculous and the ability to "cancel" someone that doesn't follow popular narratives is just insane... I wouldn't be cheering it on anyway!

At this rate we'll all be out saluting rainbow flags and made up genders....OR ELSE!

• Advertisement

They are being exposed to far worse! the "Woke"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah yes, the "woke" which is basically what gets yelled at people who call out someone elses bullshit.

Andrew Tate has shown himself countless times to be a dangerous, grifting individual and when he gets deplatformed "oh oh oh WOKE it's the WOKES! WOKES CANCELLING!"

Guy could take a turd on some peoples carpets while railing their missus and they wouldn't get angry because Tate would be screaming "WOKE!" as he done it.

Not one bit naive. He knew exactly what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

T'wud be a very boring world if all we had was groupthink. While I mightn't agree with eejits like the creater of the Proud Boys or Alex Jones or vaccine conspiracy theorists (although sometimes they make valid points), I don't agree with them being silenced.

Apparently, believing that rape, sexual exploitation and human trafficking are wrong is merely a "popular narrative".

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Me neither but even Rogan himself publicly regretted his interview with the proud boys Gavin Mcinnes as he realised he had been duped about what that organisation stood for. Even rogan admitted he wouldnt have trump on cos he didnt think he would be honest so in effect Rogan decided not to platform him.

Yet more proof (if needed) that Tate is a complete scumbag.

We all know that's not what the "woke" SJW are about they care less about the cause they are supporting its more about virtue signalling.

Here is a more accurate example of a "WOKE" White person being "Right" trying to tell a black person she is oppressed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

BINGO!

Advertisement