If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Moving abroad renting my home

  • 24-08-2022 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ms vieria

    Hi I am about to be in a situation where I have to move abroad in the next 6 months for a minimum of 2 years but could be a few years longer.

    We bought a house last year which we both see as our long term family home - not interested to sell.

    Renting will not be difficult in the area we are in.

    Can any one point to any resources on how I would calculate our tax liability while abroad.

    Do I need to notify my mortgage provider that the house will be rented?

    Thanks in advance



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭dennyk

    Yes, you'd need to notify your mortgage provider, as the loan was likely issued for an owner-occupied property. You can expect your interest rate to rise to the current buy-to-let rates. It's also possible your lender might refuse permission entirely if your loan-to-value ratio isn't low enough yet.

    Revenue have all the details on tax for rental income on their site. Note that unless you have an Irish agent managing the property and collecting rent on your behalf, your tenant must withhold 20% of their rent payment and remit it to Revenue on your behalf.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

    This is not an investment property it's your home I wouldn't rent it there are to many risks of not getting it back. If you must I'd go corporate let route if I were you at least you can get the house back all going well.

    If you rent it and lets say you know you will need it back it 6 months, give them notice to leave in 3 months not 6 and keep in touch to make sure they are looking for a place.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

    I rent mine and live abroad and I have begun the selling process. It is a pain and it is very difficult to see your forever home not being taken care of, as is the way with many rentals.

    Secondly, a base when you do come home is worth more than rental, unless you really need the mortgage covered for you. I just did 6 weeks in Ireland and it was a pain living out our respective parents homes, borrowing their cars and basically living out of a suitcase.

    If you are moving abroad for 2 years, I'm assuming you are on a contract and corresponding package. None of us move abroad lightly and I'd hazard a guess the money is better and your living quarters abroad are likely covered, hence the willingness to move. So if you can afford to leave the place empty or have a relative housesit, I'd go down that route. It's what I should have done in hindsight.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭dotsman

    How big is the house and what sort of tenant would it attract? It might be worth letting it via rent-a-room. The tax free aspect might make it as viable as renting out the house fully, but you would have vastly superior rights and, as James Bond Junior said, it still gives you a home to return to if you are popping over at any stage. Ideally, the "room mate" would be someone you know/trust, but the same applied to any tenant!

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

    Definitely rent out to corporates only. A large apartment complex opened recently opposite my house and it's purely catering for corporate users. They seem a very respectable lot... in fact it looks a lot like a hotel with the new faces coming to move in every few weeks.

    I'm in a similar situation whereby I'm considering moving abroad and was considering private rental, but after observing the type of residents in the place opposite, I would be off to Google in a jiffy to give them my place.

  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭sonyvision

    You can't rent a room out under rent a room if your living outside the state. All Income is fully taxable and they can not claim it.

    Get a local agent manage the property and get an accountant to do your tax returns.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,251 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

    You cannot claim rent-a-room relief.

    But you can rent individual rooms, and keep one unrented for your own use when you come back on holiday.

    Regarding tax liability, you also need to get tax,advice from the country where you are living: you may be liable for tax on the in ome there, too.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭dotsman

    Hence the...

    Ideally, the "room mate" would be someone you know/trust


    Not that anyone would ever do off-the-books" renting in Ireland🙄😋

  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭winstonia

    Leave it with an Airbnb agent if that's still allowed. Or give someone you know 10% for doing the airbnb stuff.

  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

    "Off the books renting" doesn't exist. At least not in the way you imply. Renting "off the books" the tenant still has the same rights if they alert the RTB to any potential issues.

  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

    Making life difficult for an employee is harassment. Don't take this abhorrent advice.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭KilOit

    Not paying rent or not moving out if the landlord wants to move back into the family home is worse than the "harassment" of an employee. Can you imagine living out of the country while your family home is being abused, imagine how far-reaching this stress would be to the entire family.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭dennyk

    Two wrongs don't make a right; the fact that your tenant is overholding doesn't give you the right to illegally harass them or interfere with their employment. Doing so could also harm your case against your overholding tenant; the RTB and the court won't be pleased to hear that you are trying to illegally drive out your tenant via a campaign of harassment, and you might end up having to pay for your actions in the end. The current legal process unfortunately has a lot of issues at the moment, but it's still wisest to stick to it; trying to go outside the law will often backfire quite badly.

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,207 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

    The op would not be letting to their employee. One of the benefits of corporate let’s is that it is not a tenancy arrangement, you are letting to a company rather than to a tenant. The corporate is responsible for whomever they let use the property, and can remove them once the letting agreement ends.

  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

    As your tax status will change and as a consequence you need to look at the broader picture. Having a property empty and available to you while abroad can have tax consequences as does owning a property in other jurisdictions. For instance countries such as Switzerland for instance do not encourage home ownership and consequently you can end up with a significant tax bill as a result. Seek proper financial advice before embarking on any course of action.

  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sw59td

    Airbnb it ir don’g rent it out

  • Registered Users Posts: 41 just_a_gurl

    personally - I wouldn't rent it out, too much hassle...and you would have to be sure to serve the correct notice with all the correct statutory declarations on the tenant within the correct timeframe giving them the correct notice period in order to get your house back for your own personal use when you return.

    If the tenant isn't happy with that they could well query it with the RTB which could end up in at least 10 months of a wait until the RTB's adjudication & appeal process is complete.

    but you asked about you tax liability, here are the page(s) on it on

    Yes you are supposed to notify your mortgage provider, they will switch you to a buy to rent rate which is in or around 4-5% at the moment.

    You will also need to change your insurance to reflect that the house is rented & register with the RTB

    I believe though you can claim tax relief on the mortgage interest paid during the tenancy term & also insurance, RTB Reg and other maintenance costs/ repairs. I am assuming that even though you are going abroad to work you will still be registered as resident in Ireland for tax purposes????

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

    I'm pretty sure that entire thread and their other one in Pets was entirely made up.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭youngblood

    Can I ask what alternatives are there out there? Going to be entering a similiar situation and would love some advice?

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

    Were they going to put pet up for rent as well?

  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭good vibes

    I was considering doing the same, i have researched for 3 years trying to make this work.. Its the Banana republic.. Forget it.. Some good advice on here and some bad.. Some people on here are idiots & havant a clue what they're talking about.. ..beware !

    Insurance companies won't insure air b&b or the like a room you have to be living in the house for the greater part of the over 164 days... I don't think that's covered either my insurance companies...

    In the 3 years of researching countless number of people including landlords & solicitors legal have advised against renting out my house..

    You can rent for 10 years to DDC (has to be 10 years) you get 80% of the rent.. but you still have costs and insurance and that's based on they're take on the rental market value of the property.. Are you in a rent pressure zone ?

    As i said we're living in the Banana Republic ! Looks like il Have to sell.... Good luck!

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭wildwillow

    Just a thought. There are some companies who source housing for the likes of Intel and Microsoft etc. They are usually short term lets, ie. 6 to 12 months. Often for someone who is on a short term contract and from a foreign country.

    A friend used to work in the area and was responsible for sourcing schools. etc and inspected the building before they moved out.

    It might be worth some research before you take the drastic step of selling. You are dealing with the agency rather than the resident. Home Locators are one such company but there are a few more too.

  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

    I don't think the advice re switching the mortgage is necessarily correct, it isn't really a buy to let because you are intending to move back, it's your only home so you are not more likely to default on it to justify a higher rate.

    But the advice re not renting out if you need it back is good, corporate letting definitely the way to go.

    Another example where our politicians are driving units from the market and making things worse with their policies.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭markpb

    Several people have suggested AirB&B but it’s worth remembering that you need planning permission from the local authority to convert a home from private residence to short-term letting.